Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

1,200-year-old Phone - Ancient Peru

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,233 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

There’s a 1,200-year-old Phone in the Smithsonian Collections

We’ll never know the trial and error that went into its creation. The marvel of acoustic engineering—cunningly constructed of two resin-coated gourd receivers, each three-and-one-half inches long; stretched-hide membranes stitched around the bases of the receivers; and cotton-twine cord extending 75 feet when pulled taut—arose out of the Chimu empire at its height. The dazzlingly innovative culture was centered in the Río Moche Valley in northern Peru, wedged between the Pacific Ocean and the western Andes.

http://www.smithsoni...l#ixzz2njrXl1DH

I can just see it now, ancient Peruvians up a mountain, on the phone to those below working away...  Man on phone saying "Oi, that bits not vitrified enough"  :lol:

Edited by seeder, 18 December 2013 - 06:17 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,042 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

It wuz ALIENS!!! :whistle:

:P

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,233 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 18 December 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

It wuz ALIENS!!! :whistle:

:P

:w00t:   haha yeh, what else?

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,042 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Great find, seeder.  :tu:

I wish there was more like this to show "fringies" just how ingenious our ancestors were - despite their "primitive technology".

Edited by Leonardo, 18 December 2013 - 06:18 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,215 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

It was AAT&T.

(Ancient American Telephone & Telegraph Company)

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,942 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

The old one may be too fragile to test, but surely the materials can still be found and a new one recreated for testing...?

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,233 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

And... we have now a new site to look at -

quote from the OP link

"The sophisticated culture was eclipsed when the Inca emperor Tupac Yupanqui conquered the Chimu king Minchancaman around 1470. During its heyday, the urban center of Chan Chan was the largest adobe metropolis in pre-Columbian America. The central nucleus covered 2.3 square miles.

Today, the angular contours of ten immense compounds, once surrounded by thick, 30-foot-high walls, are visible. The compounds, or ciudadelas, erected successively by ten Chimu kings, were subdivided into labyrinths of corridors, kitchens, courtyard gardens, wells, burial sites, supply rooms and residential and administrative chambers, or audiencias.

Posted Image

http://www.smithsoni...-Chan-Peru.html

some more images worth viewing

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=601

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,233 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 18 December 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

The old one may be too fragile to test, but surely the materials can still be found and a new one recreated for testing...?

Yes and I find it VERY interesting they used a membrane... I mean we know tin cans work to an extent....but its the refinement of using the skin membrane I find amazing.

The marvel of acoustic engineering—cunningly constructed of two resin-coated gourd receivers, each three-and-one-half inches long; stretched-hide membranes stitched around the bases of the receivers;

#9    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,097 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

So basically it was the prototype for the old two-tin-cans-on-a-piece-of-string then?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#10    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,638 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 18 December 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

No need to test, We used to make these when I was a kid.  They work great!

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,213 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 18 December 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

So basically it was the prototype for the old two-tin-cans-on-a-piece-of-string then?

Not quite,not quite... it also was the prototype of the cans....

View PostOverSword, on 18 December 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

No need to test, We used to make these when I was a kid.  They work great!

Yep, two cans and a piece of string. And if you can't find no cans use some plastic cups and a thin string.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#12    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

And three days later came the first telemarketing...

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,233 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 18 December 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Its a bloody unbelievable find... and the string phones work best with a vibrating membrane, like a drum skin...as they have..... tin cans were never so delicate

#14    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,233 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

Damn it!!  Ive just found evidence of even older phones

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15    RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

• "I have no idea."
    Nex prius vestis!
    I am terminally curious.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'm amazed the twine and membranes survived. If it weren't the Smithsonian, I'd be left wanting more validation. Though that first bit bothers me. I'm not very well educated in archaeology, but what are the odds of the membranes alone surviving that long? Honest question.

Posted Image   I support the majestic Pacific Northwest tree Octopus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users