Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obamacare and your house

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,737 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

I just read an article describing a potentially horrible situation millions of people may find themselves in in the future.

Americans who do not have employer-based coverage have to accept Medicaid coverage in order to comply with the Obamacare individual mandate, or pay full price for the skyrocketing premiums from private-sector insurers.

People often confuse Medicaid with Medicare, but there is a critical difference between the two programs. Medicare eligibility derives from Social Security contributions, and is a true “entitlement” program. Theoretically, coverage comes as part of the funds paid into the system, although in reality the federal government has to borrow billions of dollars to cover the costs.

Medicaid, on the other hand, is a state-based and federally-subsidized welfare program, one that employs means-testing – which includes ownership of assets as well as income levels.  Medicaid programs include conditions that put recipients’ assets remaining after death at risk for seizure to reimburse taxpayers who footed the bill for the recipient’s health care during his/her lifetime.

This was done to prevent fraud, to ensure that limited resources went to the truly needy, and to recapture resources to cover future costs. Until now, though, Medicaid was a voluntary program, and the vast majority of people who entered into it had few assets to risk by signing up.

Here’s where the law of unintended consequences comes into Obamacare. Thanks to the exchange programming, consumers are getting enrolled in Medicaid whether they understand what that means or not, and in much greater numbers than before. (In the first month, nearly 90 percent of all the enrollees in the federal and state exchanges were Medicaid applicants.)

Unless they look at the fine print in the paperwork in Washington and other states with similar asset-forfeiture regulations, any assets they own will not pass to their heirs but to the state instead.

link

Basically, if you own a home, and get subsidized healthcare, there a chance the government will repossess your home and other belongings after your death and your family will not receive any of it.

#2    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

It is on the state level according to the article, so some states like Washington have the capability to take your assets after death.  It sucks for the guy on Medicaid and I have a sinking feeling that some other states will probably pass legislation to seize property as well.

#3    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,961 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostWickian, on 19 December 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

Basically, if you own a home, and get subsidized healthcare, there a chance the government will repossess your home and other belongings after your death and your family will not receive any of it.

Yes mediCAID is for the very poor. If you OWN a home, you're kind of disqualified. They changed the law where millions scammed the system by hiding their assets.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#4    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,346 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

(Joe Biden whispering into Obama's ear)..."This is a big ****-ing deal".

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#5    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,662 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

I doubt there is anything unintended about 0bamacare.

Edited by preacherman76, 20 December 2013 - 09:25 AM.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,698 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostWickian, on 19 December 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

Medicaid, on the other hand, is a state-based and federally-subsidized welfare program, one that employs means-testing – which includes ownership of assets as well as income levels.  Medicaid programs include conditions that put recipients’ assets remaining after death at risk for seizure to reimburse taxpayers who footed the bill for the recipient’s health care during his/her lifetime.

This was done to prevent fraud, to ensure that limited resources went to the truly needy, and to recapture resources to cover future costs. Until now, though, Medicaid was a voluntary program, and the vast majority of people who entered into it had few assets to risk by signing up.
Unless they look at the fine print in the paperwork in Washington and other states with similar asset-forfeiture regulations, any assets they own will not pass to their heirs but to the state instead.

Personnally I don't see the problem here. These people line up for the government gravy, so isn't it only fair the government collect their stuff after they pass away? Or at least enough to pay back what they gave out?

If you used credit cards to buy insurance and run up a bunch of debt and then pass away, the credit cards are still going to want their money back, and any inheiritance would be their target. Seems very Capitalist to me.

Edited by DieChecker, 24 December 2013 - 01:32 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,591 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

What about a person who owns his house free and clear... but then ends up on Medicaid.    Could he sell his house??   .. see what i mean?  when would his house become a state , rather than personal ,asset?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#8    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,961 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

View Postlightly, on 24 December 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

What about a person who owns his house free and clear... but then ends up on Medicaid. Could he sell his house??   ..

I think you would have to in order to get Medicaid. The house is an asset. A significant one. Which would disqualify you. Previously in many states, there were ways that people could use to hide their assets. There were entire law firms who did this as their major business. But that's diminished now.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#9    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,312 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

sign your house into trust on someone's name,

RESIDENT TROLL.

#10    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,104 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Actually, if you comply with the Affordable Care Act and acquire health insurance, you probably would not lose everything you ever earned and saved.

Once again, you've posted a resource telling half-truths, or even lies. That makes three our of three for you.

Let's look at the opening of this article:

Americans who do not have employer-based coverage have to accept Medicaid coverage in order to comply with the Obamacare individual mandate, or pay full price for the skyrocketing premiums from private-sector insurers.

If you do not have insurance, you don't have to accept anything. You will have to pay a penalty. IF you choose to pay that penalty on your taxes and still not acquire insurance, and THEN you get a prolonged terminal illness, you will end up losing your possessions and not passing them on to your heirs.

However, private sector insurers costs are not "skyrocketing" as a result of the affordable care act. In fact, 2014 is projected to see a slowdown in the rise of healthcare costs. Note that they are not going to drop, they just have not increased at the same rate since 2010.

http://www.whitehous...oembargo_v2.pdf

As for your assertion that a person without insurance that requires expensive medical care might lose their property... this is correct. But it has nothing to do with Obamacare. Only a single-payer system would avoid this, something that the affordable care act SHOULD have been.

#11    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,286 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

What did I say... Obamacare is an tyrant's law. We are facing dictatorship. The government completely owns us and everything we have now. If we die today or later on down the road, they get everything that we leave behind. On top of that, they are forcing those who can't afford Obamacare to get it or face jail time. I am more likely going to face jail time due to the fact I have no job, no employment, no ability to pay this outright illegal law passed by Obama. He must be removed from office and the law repealed, rather it be by impeachment or force.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#12    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,104 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:04 AM

Well, Uncle Sam, everything in your post is a gross exaggeration.

Please show something to back up your idea that the gov't completely owns you and everything you have now. for starters.

Also, while you are at it, please show how you have to buy obamacare (which is NOT a health care policy) or go to jail.

#13    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,961 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 24 December 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

What did I say... Obamacare is an tyrant's law. We are facing dictatorship.

and you would be wrong. The law was passed by Congress.

The government completely owns us and everything we have now. If we die today or later on down the road, they get everything that we leave behind.

for tangible assets. if you want to be on medicaid in some states. It is for the extremely poor.

On top of that, they are forcing those who can't afford Obamacare to get it or face jail time

there is no such provision

no ability to pay this outright illegal law passed by Obama.

The president does not pass laws per se. He signs them. The presidents signature is more like a gatekeeper. Do you really understand civics in the country whose name you claim?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#14    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,104 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

As I've said in other threads, there is a common theme among the folks who complain the most about Obamacare... and that theme is that they don't understand the ACA at all. They just repeat misinformation from whatever source they favor.. without actually understanding what they are talking about.

Like our friend Uncle Sam a few posts above me in this thread. This person thinks that they are going to go to jail because they don't have a job and so they can't buy health insurance. This is baseless. But they don't care... they are just incredibly eager to believe anything that supports their idea that Obama is responsible for all sorts of negative things, whether or not they are real or imaginary.

He must be removed from office and the law repealed, rather it be by impeachment or force.

This is another interesting characteristic of this type of person. They lose a few elections, laws they don't like get passed FAIR AND SQUARE, but instead of mobilizing for the next election and electing people who will pass laws they like, they cry, pout, obstruct the government, do damage to the economy that hurts everyone, and threaten violence. Like a toddler that stamps his feet and punches the dog when they don't get their way.

I think it is part of the mentality that likes to call people that disagree with them "sheeple," yet they haven't even done a simple internet search to read the law they are spreading misinformation about. Who's the real sheep? Seems to me, it's the people who don't think for themselves... and that starts with reading the bill, or at least a synopsis of the bill, instead of just repeating the phrases posted by their favorite conservative pundit's opinion pieces.

#15    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• 1,843 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 20 December 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

I doubt there is anything unintended about 0bamacare.

I agree with this statement.  Someone, somewhere in a think tank putting this all together knew exactly how things would play out...

More Gov control and interference in your life...that is not unintentional.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users