Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Scientists turn algae into oil, in minutes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,363 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

Government Scientists Created Crude Oil from Algae in Mere Minutes

Be excited, Earthlings, because science has a surprise for you. Engineers at the Department of Energy's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory have devised a way to turn algae into crude oil in less than an hour. That oil can then be refined into gasoline that can run engines.

Excited yet? Try wrapping your head around the implications of a breakthrough like this.

http://gizmodo.com/g...in-m-1485731339

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, I've been hearing about this. I wonder if this would make for a pollution neutral system.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,180 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

Well this will be "disproven" or a "fatal and/or lethal flaw" will be found about this process in the near future, can't have someone getting in on of the Oil Industry.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#4    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,070 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

If the process can be mass produced in such a way as to get a net gain in energy, then that is pretty amazing.

#5    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 20 December 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Well this will be "disproven" or a "fatal and/or lethal flaw" will be found about this process in the near future, can't have someone getting in on of the Oil Industry.
Actually the Oil Industry can use this to their benefit. No longer having to pay import costs they can set up refinery using this process here in the States, reduce the profits by some negligible amount and make just as much if not more a return on their revenue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,363 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hope we dont run short of natural algae as a result, tho they do say the can use the waste to regrow it

Edited by seeder, 20 December 2013 - 07:47 AM.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#7    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

View Postseeder, on 20 December 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

Hope we dont run short of algae as a result
The idea would be you farm this algae.

-Terry Pratchett

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,821 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

Not necessarily good news, and the price of oil will have to go up quite a bit to work, but I'm not surprised to see it in the works.

#9    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

El camion marveloso

• 26,385 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

The trouble with all these marvellous breakthroughs is, how much of the new wonder substance (in this case, algae) would they need to produce oil in a similar volume to how it is today? How would they produce it on that kind of scale? Would it be even possible to do so? Would we be seeing oil companies moving into to and wrapping up the algal business between them, so it would just shift the conflict for resources to another area? Would they be able to farm algae on the scale needed? What repercussions for the ecosystem would result from that? That's always the question with all these magic solutions.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#10    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,363 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

Kelp is considered an algae too, we really cant screw with kelp

http://explorethesea...climate-change/

#11    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

View Postseeder, on 20 December 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Kelp is considered an algae too, we really cant screw with kelp

http://explorethesea...climate-change/
Of course not. We already do vat farming of algae, just need to do so on a larger scale.

-Terry Pratchett

#12    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 4,021 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Even if this sytem work, it requires chemicals, a pressure of 3.500PSI and a temperature of 350°C and these characteristics are influencing the ecological system in a considerable negative way. A mass production of algae based oil requires a huge amount of farmed algae and it must be taken into consideration that the farming will be of additional destabilizing effect to the oceanic ecological system that´s still under attack since decades.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,821 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

This will happen only if two prior conditions are not met.  First, oil fails to last as long as expected and second oil replacements do not succeed.  I find both conditions are unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to have a shortstop out there.  More than likely this will become in future a source of specialty oils.

#14    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

El camion marveloso

• 26,385 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

I think the way they should be looking at going really is, rather than just trying to find a substitute for oil, look to alternatives to needing oil at all for the uses it's most used for, e.g. transport, and that way they'd probably be able to maintain enough oil reserves, or some practical substitute, for those uses where something like oil is really necessary.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#15    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Well, if we ever go to live on Mars and we find water up there then this science will be totally needed 110%. Not just for fuel, but to make plastic, and then all they need is a 3D printer (or extruder) and they can build pretty much anything they want, including bio domes, habitats, gears, wheels, chairs, wings, clothes, toothbrushes and adult toys.

Edited by bulveye, 20 December 2013 - 04:26 PM.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users