Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

To bludgeon or not to bludgeon

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,572 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

To bludgeon or not to bludgeon

I am beginning to understand why so many people think religion is nutty.  Well, because it is I guess....at times.  Christians are running around babbling, each with his or her bible making infallible statements that, well, sound crazy.  Muslims as well do the same thing.   In the New Testament, the Word of God is called a "a two edge sword", it is surgical, it cuts in order to heal.  However, today, everyone who deems himself or herself an expert on the scriptures us the NT and the OT as a club, bludgeoning others, not cutting, not healing, just beating.  No wonder so many in the younger generation, those under 25 find themselves moving towards atheism at an ever larger rate.  We are called to be the light of the world, but instead, we are becoming flame throwers, creating more problems that ever.  If I thought that fundamentalism was the only way to be a Christian, then I would have to leave the faith.  Think goodness most Christians are not and also thankfully, many who are, aren't nutty in what they say or think.  The love of Christ in their hearts and the Holy Spirit keep them humble and loving.

If we speak without love, or in anger, or come across as angry, then the battle has been lost.  I now that when a Muslim post here in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS it means that that are shouting at Christians....when Christians do the same thing.....yes SHOUTING.    IT has never worked for me, when someone shouts, I just fade them out.

We are called to plant seeds, kindness allows the seed to find the ground and slowly grow.  It is the Holy Spirit that brings  forth fruit, not me, nor anyone on this site or anywhere else.  I pray for all, the Our Father does not have the word or the concept of "My Father" to the exclusions of others.  when Jesus aught that prayer he taught it to a broad audience.  Jews as well as non-Jews.

#2    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Every herd has its problem children. The rest, and the thing they promote, shouldn't be judged because of that though. Especially if it's an idea or a more abstract sort of thing. Or belief.

Seeds of love and kindness dont grow easy on all ground, but if anything can penetrate a numb heart it's that. A reminder of what it is to be a living being.

I think of Jesus like the bands of today, throwing gigs at places. I dont know how popular he was back then, but it's a pretty good hit when people keep singing it for millennias. I have to give him that as a not-yet-believer, with all respect. I'm sure he's smiling up there as long as we remember the stuff behind his words.

I'll be gone.

#3    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,850 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

If it's a vote, put me down for "not to bludgeon".

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#4    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

• Islam
  • Christianity
Looks like you are just beginning your survey. I'd suggest suspending judgement until you get some more data. :)

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,410 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

Don't bludgeon this old Druid, he fights back. Turn about is fair play. ;)

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

I didn't turn to atheism. I turned to being a wizard and becoming one with nature.

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM
Wisdom of Magic and Natural Healing Potions enjoy
http://healingpotion...ic.blogspot.com

#7    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,572 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostXynoplas, on 21 December 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

• Islam

• Christianity
Looks like you are just beginning your survey. I'd suggest suspending judgement until you get some more data. :)

View PostGreenmansGod, on 21 December 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

Don't bludgeon this old Druid, he fights back. Turn about is fair play. ;)

That is what I like about you....

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,718 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Well said mark.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,572 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 21 December 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Well said mark.

Thank you my friend.  Hope your holiday season is a good one for you.

Peace
mark

#10    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,718 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

View Postmarkdohle, on 22 December 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

Thank you my friend.  Hope your holiday season is a good one for you.

Peace
mark
It was mark. I hope it was for you aswell.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#11    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,250 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

Beautifully written Mark.

For myself, it is about being christian not about teaching it to others.  Self determination is at the heart of christianity - free will is the ultimate gift of a benevolent God and it is my place to honour that right in others not to judge it.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#12    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,572 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 27 December 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

Beautifully written Mark.

For myself, it is about being christian not about teaching it to others.  Self determination is at the heart of christianity - free will is the ultimate gift of a benevolent God and it is my place to honour that right in others not to judge it.

Well said my friend.

peace
mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users