Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dark Energy and Matter mentioned in the Bible

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    settlingtheworld

settlingtheworld

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

I'm not intending to reconcile scientific models of the universe with the Bible because as a Christian I believe scientific understanding of the Cosmos is incomplete. However I see in the Bible even dark energy and dark matter which the current scientific model states makes up the majority of the universe can be accounted for.

"For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16

Note the words visible and invisible. This could be referring to dark matter and dark energy which are invisible to us.

Edited by settlingtheworld, 21 December 2013 - 12:57 AM.

#2    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

There might be something to this. Not the Bible, but that what science can't comprehend and calls "dark" is a spiritual world that science can't measure.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#3    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,111 posts

• Oops.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Note the words visible and invisible. This could be referring to dark matter and dark energy which are invisible to us.
Sure, that's not a stretch at all. Or it could be referencing to things known at the time, like wind and feelings and emotion, which were invisible.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,565 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

No.

#5    Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

Who's to say what is proper?

• 3,014 posts

• "Is this your last best chance? Or are you going to your grave with unlived lives in your veins?"

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

That is possible. I hadn't read into it as much, but I think it's likely.

#6    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,402 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

View Postsettlingtheworld, on 21 December 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

I'm not intending to reconcile scientific models of the universe with the Bible because as a Christian I believe scientific understanding of the Cosmos is incomplete. However I see in the Bible even dark energy and dark matter which the current scientific model states makes up the majority of the universe can be accounted for. "For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16

Mentioning "the visible and invisible" is just a circumlocution to characterize the "all". Taking that wording into correlation with dark matter is illogical because, for example, we even cannot see the air that we are breathing. So, the bible writing is just what it is, a writing. And it did not refer to dark matter.

Edited by toast, 21 December 2013 - 09:18 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#7    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Lost Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

well yeah and also other invisable things..
like thoughts, energy, wind, emotions, and spirits..
all go into the realm of the invisible

Scary story about being scratched at 5 AM. Real demon attack story!
https://www.youtube....h?v=_Kzw8RRFsMQ

My collection of true and fiction ghost and ouija stories, horror movie reviews etc.
http://ouijaghosts.blogspot.com/

#8    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,361 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:17 AM

This reminds me of the Muslim trying to justify the verse in the Quran that says Ants talk by tying scientific findings that certain Ants may vibrate their body for communication.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#9    all16universes

all16universes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Dark matter and dark energy are a direct result of our technology and shortfalls of technology. Using our technologies and scientific knowledge we can add up the mass of the universe. But it doesn't quite add up. In fact a very large amount of the mass has gone missing that we cannot account for. Conservation of energy says we can't have anything missing, so what do we do? We create a model to account for it -- dark matter and energy. We don't know what they are or how to measure them... as far as we know they only interact through gravity. It's extremely unlikely (I would claim impossible) that they were known when the bible was written. Up until recently we had no solid evidence that they even existed (the Bullet Cluster changed this), and we still have no way to measure them. The only way to observe evidence of their existence would require technology and science not available such a long time ago. Not to mention, it's bad form to take a vague statement, extrapolate meanings and form conclusions from it. It's Nostradomus all over again.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

You don't have it right.  Dark matter is not inferred from adding up the mass of the universe and seeing that some is missing.  It's presence is inferred from the measurement of the rotation of galaxies and the orbits of galaxies around clusters of galaxies.  Its presence has been inferred since by dozens of other similar measurements.

Far and away the simplest possibility is that there is matter we can't see, hence "dark."  What all this might have to do with Nostradamus is quite beyond me.

#11    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• 1,413 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." - Matthew 5:9

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well gnostic Chrisitians believe that there are things in the physical world that we do not see, so maybe.

"But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." - Luke 6:35

#12    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,361 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostArpee, on 24 December 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Well gnostic Chrisitians believe that there are things in the physical world that we do not see, so maybe.

The basic notion of Gnostic thought from what I remember reading is that;We are trapped in the material world by a dark creator God, and only through "Gnosis" the secret hidden words/thoughts can we escape from here to the Good creator God of Light.

Obvious primative thinking as I see it, but just think about this.If your mind continues after death then what you believe will be, because you are just made of thought.Many NDE cases are experienced through ones own culture wether they believed in their societal beliefs, or not.

As from what I see the Bible has only one scientific truth which is the power of water to cleanse, but as a child I figured that out.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#13    all16universes

all16universes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 December 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

You don't have it right.  Dark matter is not inferred from adding up the mass of the universe and seeing that some is missing.  It's presence is inferred from the measurement of the rotation of galaxies and the orbits of galaxies around clusters of galaxies.  Its presence has been inferred since by dozens of other similar measurements.

Far and away the simplest possibility is that there is matter we can't see, hence "dark."  What all this might have to do with Nostradamus is quite beyond me.

Galaxy rotation is only part of it. Measurements from WMAP (accounting for the mass we should expect to see) and gravitational lensing are additional forms of evidence. There are alternatives explanations to the  rotation (such as MOND but is now obsolete). It's through adding up the mass that we KNOW there must be something else since breaking conservation of energy would cause some very big issues.

Nostradamus fits in here because people interpret his "predictions" so that they match events that have happened. This is exactly what the OP is about, except with the bible and dark matter, is it not?

#14    Ellapennella

Ellapennella

Alien Abducter

• 5,418 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

View Postsettlingtheworld, on 21 December 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

I'm not intending to reconcile scientific models of the universe with the Bible because as a Christian I believe scientific understanding of the Cosmos is incomplete. However I see in the Bible even dark energy and dark matter which the current scientific model states makes up the majority of the universe can be accounted for.

"For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him." Colossians 1:16

Thoughts are unseen as well, yet  scientifically proven to exist as energy , which can be measured .  Subconscious  and  conscious mind  remind me also of unseen and seen  .The natural order which flows with karma too is also seen and unseen .The unseen and seen  connection of nature  interconnects  with  spirit and of course reality .

#15    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Psychic Spy

• 1,761 posts

• ... man isn't fit to live if he hasn't found something worth dying for...

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

I think that we can easily link any future advancement and find a 'clue' in many of holy books.

Those are written in such language that u can refer one part of writing to many things. Just see what future holds and how in past many advancements were linked to holy books. Also, there was no technology advancement that happen because some old writings. 'Invisible' was explained as ghost presence sometime in past, every time era will have something that can be linked to holy books.

Thats how i see it but i must say that we cant be sure and its all closely related to the part - who are we and how we got here :) Good finding btw.

...If you’re thinking like everyone else, then you aren’t thinking...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users