Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

why would we have no memories

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1    sards

sards

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

• Open Mind

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Of advanced civilisations of the past.  
There was written language.  Surely this skill should have been developed and memories passed down.

#2    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,152 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

View Postsards, on 22 December 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Of advanced civilisations of the past.  
There was written language.  Surely this skill should have been developed and memories passed down.

We have writing developing c.3100/3200 BC by the Egyptians and Sumerians. What is it you expect from before then?

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,777 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

I agree, that if there were even more ancient advanced cultures in the world, then the ancient Egyptians and Mesoptamians, then we'd have an oral tradition of them, plus piles of artifacts. The lack of artifacts is what convinces me.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,647 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

If we find no evidence of an older culture there was no such a thing. We are even to capable of finding tribal hamlets dating from 20,000 or more years ago, so the only reason for not finding anything is: There was nothing.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

What exactly do you mean by "memories"?
Written? oral?
Memories when written or transmitted orally are not "memories" anymore, they are records.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#6    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,474 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

Though the earliest written language we know of is Sumerian cuneiform, there was a point not too long ago when we had no knowledge of the existence of that civilization.

What I mean is that just because a culture had a written language and a joint mythology, that certainly doesn't imply that we should know about them.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#7    sards

sards

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

• Open Mind

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

Correct about the memories translating into records. It is almost as though humanity decided to take a holiday after for example the great pyramids were built.

#8    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,111 posts

• Oops.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:35 AM

View Postsards, on 23 December 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

Correct about the memories translating into records. It is almost as though humanity decided to take a holiday after for example the great pyramids were built.
Not exactly. The main pyramid builders were int eh 4th Dynasty, as a signs of their power as much as anything. The pyramids were build at a time of unequaled peace, prosperity, and stability in Egypt, that the later Dynasties didn't quite hit again.
You also have the refocusing from great pyramids to the temples, something that started during the 4th dynasty.

If you really look at pyramids without all the New Age woo that gets added to them, while impressive monuments they are not amazing in terms of architecture. The Temples, which also had the record of the accomplishments of the pharaohs inscribed in them, outshone the pyramids in terms of construction and materials used.

And Kmt should (hopefully kindly) point out how I've got this wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    sards

sards

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

• Open Mind

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

I am just amazed that we have to guess about everything.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

I read somewhere that the pyramids served as a way to absorb excess labor supply in a country which, because of the Nile, had large numbers of seasonally unneeded workers.  A sort of make-work program.

#11    sards

sards

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

• Open Mind

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Pyramids don't interest me.  It is inanimate.  Quarrried blocks stacked randomly ontop of each other.  Blah.
The fact that so much supposed intelligence was harvested to create these atrocities and then lost in time because we were too stupid to grow intellectually after wards amuses me.

Edited by sards, 23 December 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#12    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,567 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Postsards, on 23 December 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Pyramids don't interest me.  It is inanimate.  Quarrried blocks stacked randomly ontop of each other.  Blah.
The fact that so much supposed intelligence was harvested to create these atrocities and then lost in time because we were too stupid to grow intellectually after wards amuses me.

Just curious as to why you seem to think they are/were "atrocities", and what intelligence was 'harvested' and how?...

#13    sards

sards

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

• Open Mind

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

They really are ugly structures.  Maybe when new , yes. And they really do seem pointless.  Some mans ego at the cost of a lot of lives.

#14    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,448 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Just because you aren't capable of seeing a point in no way makes something pointless.

Posted Image

#15    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,549 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

View Postsards, on 23 December 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

The fact you mention a lack of intellectual growth and called the Pyramids "blocks stacked randomly ontop [sic] of each other" is a joke, right, or are you just the most irony-resistant poster to come along since Zoser?

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users