Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ibn Fadlan - Vikings - Neanderthals (?)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ers_of_the_Dead

The novel is set in the 10th century. The Caliph of Baghdad Al-Muqtadir sends his ambassador, Ahmad ibn Fadlan, to the king of the Volga Bulgars. He never arrives but is instead conscripted by a group of Vikings to take part in a hero's quest to the north. Ahmad ibn Fadlan is taken along as the thirteenth member of their group to comply with a soothsayer's requirement for success. There they battle with the 'mist-monsters', or 'wendol', a tribe of vicious savages (possibly relict Neanderthals) who go to battle wearing bear skins.

When you read the book, you will know these "Wendol" were a very hairy people (covered form head to toes with fur, except the palms of their hands and the soles of their feet), big heads, rather small but very muscular arms and legs but with big hands and feet, they were cannibals, they had protruding eyebrows and a protruding lower face (jaws).

Fadlan has been proven to have given a very accurate account of the 10th century Vikings, or "Rus".

Although Crichton, in the appendix of his book, doubts that this tribe, these "Wendol", were real Neanderthals (he thinks they were just common humans but with a primitive culture), the description given by Ibn Fadlan will no doubt give everyone reading it the impression that he had seen Neanderthals or maybe even a tribe of Homo Erectus in Scandinavia.

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,763 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Is the book better thant he movie, because that sucked.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,728 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostRafterman, on 23 December 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

The book is excellent...   I got the impression when reading it that the Wendol were Neanderthals... Even though there is no
evidence to support any Neanders living until such recent times, if they had it would definitely explain legends of trolls/ goblins etc...

#4    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

I agree with Taun: the book is lots better than the movie. Although I must say I liked the movie too, lol.

=

And yes, when you read Fadlan's description of these "Wendol", all you can think of is "Neanderthal", but not the clean and shaven, almost modern human looking ones as appear to be their popular image at this moment.

Edited by Abramelin, 23 December 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Btw, although the Wiki talks about a "novel", in fact it is a translation of Fadlan's narrative.

In short: non-fiction.

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 23 December 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

Btw, although the Wiki talks about a "novel", in fact it is a translation of Fadlan's narrative.

In short: non-fiction.
I dont have my copy on me, but checking the wiki article and the one for Ibn, the book written by Chriton is a combination of Ibn's personal account and a plot inspired by Beowulf. It is told by way of presenting it as a actual historical document.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#7    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,883 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

NOn fiction and fiction is not so discernible in those days ... and to be branded a liar or a teller of tales is pretty much a lifelong death sentence on death row ~

That is perhaps why the Gods of the day are always invoked as 'witnesses'

~

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#8    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

I suspect that 'Eaters of the Dead' is to anthropology as 'Jurassic Park' is to paleontology and 'Andromeda Strain' is to microbiology. Crichton is one of my favorite fiction writers, though.

#9    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 23 December 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

I dont have my copy on me, but checking the wiki article and the one for Ibn, the book written by Chriton is a combination of Ibn's personal account and a plot inspired by Beowulf. It is told by way of presenting it as a actual historical document.

At the end of Crichton's book is a list of sources, and all are translations of Ibn Fadlan's narrative. He also added a list of books about the Vikings, as general information, and these are books where he based his footnotes on.

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

I read Eaters of the Dead quite a while ago, and found it a good read. The part where they get to Norway (or is it Sweden?) and they see the fires coming in the fog was an excellent mental image.

I liked the characters and the ending of the Movie, but really it is impractical to believe there was only one  female and thousands of warriors.

The book did make me think Neanderthals also. I don't think Neanderthals would ever have collected into such an army, and likely never would have acted so warlike.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,392 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

You're nuts.  That movie is great!

#12    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 23 December 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Uhm, yes, I think you are right:

http://www.jasoncola...val-russia.html

Well, then this will be a very short thread, lol.

#13    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 24 December 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Speaks to the quality of his writing that you took his book seriously enough to be credible.

:tu:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 24 December 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

From the quoted link.

Crichton also cites the fictitious Necronomicon of Abdul Alhazred in the novel’s bibliography!

HA HA HA! Now I'm going to have to go dig out my copy and see if this is true. :tsu:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,763 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

View PostOverSword, on 24 December 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

You're nuts.  That movie is great!

http://www.rottentom...m/13th_warrior/

Yeah, I'M nuts.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users