Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Neanderthals spoke like modern humans

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

A new fossil discovery suggests that humans were not the only species capable of complex speech.

Far from the stereotypical 'cave man' seen in movies, the Neanderthals are believed to have been capable of using complex language and spoke in a way not dissimilar to the way people do today.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...e-modern-humans

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Of course they spoke a language.  Why anyone would ever think that they were less than human, I will never understand.  They stood upright, hunted, created art, buried their dead, etc.  They were humans.

#3    Twin

Twin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 95 posts

• The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
    Winston Churchill

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Anyone that has ever made/tried to make a stone arrowhead would soon realize how difficult it is to be as sophisticated as a Neanderthal.

#4    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

They probably spoke better than some of the people who post on this forum.

Proly ur wundering if your who Im talking about.

#5    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

This  suggests  they  also practised singing and stand up comedy.

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

#6    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 24 December 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

This  suggests  they  also practised singing and stand up comedy.
"Two cavemen walk into bar. Ouch. Thank you. Be here all week."

My signature has SPECIAL WORDS! OOHH!!

#7    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

. .  sup?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#8    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

The more I hear about Neanderthals, the less seems to differentiate them as a species of homo, to simply a group within Homo sapiens. I'm obviously not saying there aren't, but I mean it seems like there's less.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne, 25 December 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#9    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:03 AM

I think a lot of people aren't seeing that they're being compared biologically.  Just because they spoke and thought like homo sapiens, doesn't mean they were homo sapiens.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 25 December 2013 - 03:03 AM, said:

I think a lot of people aren't seeing that they're being compared biologically.  Just because they spoke and thought like homo sapiens, doesn't mean they were homo sapiens.
Precisely.  We don't know that they spoke anyway; there is indirect evidence and they probably had language, but sounds in the air leave no fossils.

#11    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:00 AM

Posted ImageCRYSiiSx2, on 24 December 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

Let me restate your statement..because you just confused the hell out of me...I know I'm not that bright...but...
Neatnderthals and Human Beings are being compared biologically.  They spoke like humans.  They thought like humans. Homo Sapiens are humans but Neanderthals were not...because of the biological differences you see.  Just because they walked like humans, and talked like humans, and thought like humans, and used tools like humans, doesn't mean they were human.

k just checkin'

Can someone tell me what the hell I missed here? :unsure2:

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:11 AM

Neanderthals are of the genus homo as are we.  They were, however, almost certainly a different species.  (Like horses and donkeys are different species but in the same genus).

#13    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,131 posts

• Oops.

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostTheSpoonyOne, on 25 December 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

The more I hear about Neanderthals, the less seems to differentiate them as a species of homo, to simply a group within Homo sapiens. I'm obviously not saying there aren't, but I mean it seems like there's less.
That's still an ongoing debate between scientists, whether Neanderthals should be classified under the sapien classification or not.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 25 December 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

That's still an ongoing debate between scientists, whether Neanderthals should be classified under the sapien classification or not.
I think that misstates it a little; there is always room for doubt but I don't think Neanderthals have ever been seen as sapiens.

#15    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,131 posts

• Oops.

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 December 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

I think that misstates it a little; there is always room for doubt but I don't think Neanderthals have ever been seen as sapiens.
I've seen papers published using both Homo Neanderthalis and Homo Sapien Neanderthalis, and recently.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users