Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Christmas robins in winter gardens: in pics

christmas robins winter gardens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,330 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

13 Pictures

http://www.telegraph...l?frame=2767246

Lovely! :wub:

Posted Image

#2    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Ealdwita snippet alert.....

When early Christmas cards were produced in the mid-18th Century, they were delivered by postmen wearing bright red coats. These postmen became known as 'robins' or 'redbreasts', and so the bird on the Christmas card was representing the postman who delivered it. Another explanation is the legend that the robin got its redbreast when it was pierced by a thorn from Jesus' crown as He hung on the cross. Sometimes, the robin's association with Christmas became positively dangerous. As Victorian tastes grew more extravagant, robins were even killed to provide real feathers for decorating cards.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,831 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:38 AM

Beautiful pics Still Waters. It's different to see robins in the snow. We usually see them as the birds who announce the coming of Spring. See a lot of cardinals here.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#4    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

It's strange to think these pretty little birds, with their cheerful song are amongst the most aggressive of all birds who will viciously defend their territories to the death.

Males and females are so alike even the birds themselves find it difficult to tell the difference. From what I've seen, the rule of thumb (wing?) during mating season is.....If the object of your desire doesn't try to rip you to shreds, then it's probably ok to go ahead and mate!

Who killed c*** Robin?
I said the Sparrow,
With my bow and arrow,
And I killed c*** Robin.

C0ck Robin not allowed?

Edited by ealdwita, 25 December 2013 - 02:42 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#5    Astral Hillbilly

Astral Hillbilly

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

• Pain is inevitable....Suffering is optional !

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Wow ! Your robins sure are small. Our robins in the US are much larger, it seems.

#6    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostAstral Hillbilly, on 25 December 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Wow ! Your robins sure are small. Our robins in the US are much larger, it seems.

The American 'robin' although bearing the same name, is a member of the thrush family and isn't even remotely related to the European robin. The only similarity is the orange breast patch.

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

American robins eat garden worms.  Poor things.

#8    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 December 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

American robins eat garden worms.  Poor things.

European robins eat mealworms...(Sometimes straight from your hand)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users