Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 2 votes

Obama Total Disregard Congress or Consitution

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#76    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,130 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostYamato, on 30 December 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Not every budget increases military spending, every war does.
http://www.washingto...g-sequester.jpg
Or every republican presidency. We are spending more now than during the cold war. This is madness

#77    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostHarte, on 30 December 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

Welcome to forcing Americans to pay 1500 dollars for a 30 inch flatscreen.

IOW, welcome to losing the next election.

Harte
You'd have to demonstrate that his idea is represented by the party establishment, and it's not.  You'd also have to show a difference between one platform and the other, but there isn't one.   You'd also have to explain how people are so sensitive to TV prices when they're not for energy, health care, education, and military.   All of these sectors are severely inflationary and wasteful.  One party obediently props up its assigned spending sprees, the other props up theirs.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#78    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:05 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 30 December 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Or every republican presidency.
No, that chart shows that's not true either.  Eisenhower lowered spending after Truman raised it.  Nixon lowered spending after Johnson raised it.   There's no salvation from military spending drawn on party lines at all.

We are spending mad money on military, and Obama's spending cuts are disapproved of by the conservative establishment.   Take Mitt Romney in 2012, he wasn't suggesting any spending cuts in the final days of the election, he was complaining about Obama's spending cuts.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#79    Gamrat

Gamrat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

WOW! Thanks for the BS post on a total BS topic! You hypocrites make me laugh! Ok... please site actual examples of when the constitution was p***ed on... and don't give me more BS... When you look at facts rather than opinion the world makes much more sense.

#80    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 29 December 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

Military spending does prop up a lot of companies and pay a lot of salaries.

If you are going to allow manufacturing to leave this country and do nothing about it, the economy needs SOMETHING to be made or processed here, other wise there will be no jobs.

You have no idea how many livelihoods are effected by defense spending, for better or worse. Spend it there or spend it on more unemployment.... unless you fix the manufacturing problem

True, dat!

But the question soon becomes something like : do we really need to spend more money on the military than the next 5 or 10 countries in the world do, combined?

At what point does military spending become unnecessary and wasteful?

#81    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

It is already unnecessary and wasteful.

But no congressman wants to be the one who let a thousand people in his district lose their jobs because the contract on some outdated tank that we don't use or need was canceled by congress, and there's a company there that makes a sprocket or gear for it. So, it's more complicated in our american process than just to do things that make sense.

#82    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

To be sure, SOME military spending is crucial.  I'm all for a strong military, but one that operates STRICTLY within the rule of law as defined by the US Constitution.

For most of my life, this country and its government has been involved in some kind of illegitimate and undeclared war or the other.  That's what Ike was warning against, and that is what we have today.

#83    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,172 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 30 December 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

Or every republican presidency. We are spending more now than during the cold war. This is madness
Umm.... isn't Obama a Democrat?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#84    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,130 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 30 December 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Umm.... isn't Obama a Democrat?
Yeah, but this is a special case. No other president had to deal with such an obstructionist do-nothing congress that has refused to even pass a budget in what? 4 years or so? Which makes the OP kind of ironic. What has congress actually done for Obama to disregard? They actually had to change the rules in the senate just to get votes on appointees. The republicans' only mission seems to be makes sure nothing gets done. At this they are succeeding

#85    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

The market loves getting nothing done then, if that's what it is.   And based on the size of the debt and deficits, it's a whole lotta nothing, too.

#86    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

The republicans' only mission seems to be makes sure nothing gets done. At this they are succeeding

Right.

So, which is more an offense... Obama's "disregard" for congress, or congress' disregard for the american people?

#87    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,278 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostHarte, on 29 December 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

No legislation in the past granted as much discretion to the Secretary (namely) and the President (by proxy) that could have been addressed in the bill itself.

554 Billion yearly to the DOD and the sec of Defense?

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#88    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 31 December 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

Yeah, but this is a special case. No other president had to deal with such an obstructionist do-nothing congress that has refused to even pass a budget in what? 4 years or so? Which makes the OP kind of ironic. What has congress actually done for Obama to disregard? They actually had to change the rules in the senate just to get votes on appointees. The republicans' only mission seems to be makes sure nothing gets done. At this they are succeeding

Note that the OP specifies "congress or constitution". :tu:

#89    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 31 December 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

Yeah, but this is a special case. No other president had to deal with such an obstructionist do-nothing congress that has refused to even pass a budget in what? 4 years or so?
Oh, well then, a "special case" for Obama, then!

Please.  Your argument about a budget shoots your own idea down.

The Republicans can't pass a budget in the Senate.  They're the minority.

The House has passed a budget every year.  The Senate never even took up the process in those years you're talking about.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#90    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,130 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

View PostHarte, on 01 January 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

Oh, well then, a "special case" for Obama, then!

Please.  Your argument about a budget shoots your own idea down.

The Republicans can't pass a budget in the Senate.  They're the minority.

The House has passed a budget every year.  The Senate never even took up the process in those years you're talking about.

Harte
Maybe the gerrymandered house should take a lesson by this and pass something that can be agreed to by both sides. This is the political process, not continually insisting on getting your own way in hopes of wearing down the opposition. The senate can't take up the process. By the constitution all money bills originate in the house. The conservatives need to get a grip and realize they aren't running the show any more and stop trying to hijack the government from the house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users