Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Atheist Experience

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hey guys and gals, I know a few of you are familiar with the Atheist Experience, a live call in show put together by the Atheist Community of Austin.
Well, this Sunday I have one of the hosts and current Atheist Community of Austin President Jen Peeples on my program, and I'll be talking with her about both the Atheist Experience and the Atheist Community of Austin.
There is a possibility that a schedule conflict may come up, in which case I'll have the Vice President Don Rhoades on instead.

Either way, this is a live show and I do try to get viewers on and comments. Sometimes the notice doesn't go out until after the show airs, so just in case I wanted to have a few questions ready if no one posts any. So I'm opening it up here first.
When the show goes live I post a link, and then the video after it's been uploaded.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#2    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

Here's the link to where the show will be live at: https://www.youtube....h?v=ryYBAfZP0_g

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#3    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Poltergeist

• 2,681 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Question:

During the AE show the hosts invite listeners to the after show dinner gathering (local eatery), but mention not to come to preach.Was there ever an incident when someone did come, and preach, or any kind of situation worth mentioning?

(Feel free to reword the question in a more professional manner)

Thanks if question is used.

Posted Image
"I am Caesar and no king" - Gaius Julius Caesar
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Why The Gospels Are Myth"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=mwUZOZN-9dc <-- "Why I Think Jesus Didn't Exist"

#4    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

Due to schedule change, Don Rhoades the VP will be on instead of Jen Peeples.

-Terry Pratchett

#5    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

Bit of an issue getting started, now live.

-Terry Pratchett

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Here is the episode: link

Edited by ShadowSot, 29 December 2013 - 09:20 PM.

-Terry Pratchett

#7    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

And I have to a apologize, there was a lot of last minutes in this show, which left me without my notes and I kept forgetting things due to having had to skip breakfast.

-Terry Pratchett

#8    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:38 AM

I would listen to this. They have a right to believe what they want. They get more flak then these crazy re borns that are on tv and knock on your door preaching there bs.

#9    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,628 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

Not to sound rude or anything, but I never much saw the point of Atheist groups.  Kind of counter-intuitive.  I mean, what would you talk about?  The only things that come to mind is a support-group type setting or just people complaining about things.

I'm an Atheist myself, but I've never encountered any kind of dislike over it.  Might be because I simply don't care enough about religion to bring it up or debate it.

#10    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

View PostWickian, on 30 December 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Not to sound rude or anything, but I never much saw the point of Atheist groups.  Kind of counter-intuitive.  I mean, what would you talk about?  The only things that come to mind is a support-group type setting or just people complaining about things.

I'm an Atheist myself, but I've never encountered any kind of dislike over it.  Might be because I simply don't care enough about religion to bring it up or debate it.
Or you're in California, one of the more liberal parts of the country.
Myself I got kicked out of my parents home after my mother found out, and in my group are people who ended up divorced or jobless. In one particular case there's a woman who was accused of being a witch in her hometown and had to move.
Just because you've not encountered any doesn't mean you can generalize your experience out to everyone esle.
Watch the video, we talk about this.

-Terry Pratchett

#11    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,528 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:01 AM

I tuned in.  Kind of long.  I didn't learn much, but then, I've got some friends filling me in on such things.  And they recommend The Atheist Experience.  Maybe I just picked the wrong one to tune in to.  Could you post an address where I could tune in to the regular program?

I used to know a guy who lost his job when the boss found out he was an atheist.  I don't think I'd lose mine if I said that, but this is Oklahoma, so it's safer not to say anything.  Besides, I have a lot of fun doing things like putting a Star of David on my Christmas tree, just to see what the neighbors say (They weren't exactly rude, but they let me know they weren't happy about it.).  I kind of like Christmas trees:  I have learned to read their rings and have re-created storm histories from pine trees (Trees mostly write about the weather.).  Guess that makes me a Druid, of sorts.  The Druids had a tree alphabet.  They could leave a message by leaving a bundle of twigs where people could find it.  Anyway, I'm rambling.  Nuff said.
Doug

Edited by Doug1o29, 01 January 2014 - 03:11 AM.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#12    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Poltergeist

• 2,681 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 01 January 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

I tuned in.  Kind of long.  I didn't learn much, but then, I've got some friends filling me in on such things.  And they recommend The Atheist Experience.  Maybe I just picked the wrong one to tune in to.  Could you post an address where I could tune in to the regular program?

I used to know a guy who lost his job when the boss found out he was an atheist.  I don't think I'd lose mine if I said that, but this is Oklahoma, so it's safer not to say anything.  Besides, I have a lot of fun doing things like putting a Star of David on my Christmas tree, just to see what the neighbors say (They weren't exactly rude, but they let me know they weren't happy about it.).  I kind of like Christmas trees:  I have learned to read their rings and have re-created storm histories from pine trees (Trees mostly write about the weather.).  Guess that makes me a Druid, of sorts.  The Druids had a tree alphabet.  They could leave a message by leaving a bundle of twigs where people could find it.  Anyway, I'm rambling.  Nuff said.
Doug

Here is their official Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.c...heistExperience

Here is a Preview.LOL!

Edited by davros of skaro, 01 January 2014 - 07:59 AM.

Posted Image

#13    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Poltergeist

• 2,681 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

Here is a list of fresh new, individual skeptics doing videos.

Posted Image

#14    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,528 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 01 January 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

Here is their official Youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.c...heistExperience

Here is a Preview.LOL!

Thanks.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#15    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 01 January 2014 - 03:01 AM, said:

Doug
Just search for the Atheist Experience and it'll bring up their site, it includes a show archive.
The show can hit or miss since it's mostly driven by callers. Sometimes they'll have genuinely interesting discussions and other times it can be a bunch of atheists calling in to talk about how great the show is.
Other times you have presups call in and those get stale quickly.
Oh, and I love Christmas, even the music.

Edited by ShadowSot, 02 January 2014 - 06:51 AM.

-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users