Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Digital Emily! Human Animation is So Real!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,523 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Just saw this on BBC news on the tech section, and thought to share it. We all know computer graphics are getting more and more realistic,  so take a look at Digital Emily.  Its not hard to imagine a few years down the road when animations are undetectable from real humans.. oh boy that will cause some problems ahead I can imagine!

maybe film-stars wont get paid zillions either - once this is perfected

How to: (as if any of us could) :lol:

ETA: text source if you cant see the vids

http://gl.ict.usc.ed...h/DigitalEmily/

Edited by seeder, 29 December 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,523 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

For me its always the eyes and mouth that give it away, I guess once they perfect the mouth movements so that they can even be understood by lip readers, then that will be progress for sure, heck maybe some words can already be picked out by lip readers??

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,590 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

I have to admit, that was really good for a digital face. It looked quite realistic.

#4    GollyBuster

GollyBuster

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

View Postseeder, on 29 December 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

For me its always the eyes and mouth that give it away, I guess once they perfect the mouth movements so that they can even be understood by lip readers, then that will be progress for sure, heck maybe some words can already be picked out by lip readers??

In the second clip you posted, the real flesh-and-blood human actor that the artificial 'Emily' is based on is revealed to be physically identical to her, right?

Given that the clips are 4 or 5 years old, this seems to me less like a breakthrough in realistic human animation techniques and more like some convoluted process for photographing a real person's face and digitally manipulating it to look slightly less like the real person's face. :passifier:

My personal opinion is that they will never quite master the ability to fool discerning humans with CG technology; we have some kind of innate ability to always distinguish 'flesh-and-blood objects' from computer illusions.

I was there when The Phantom Menace came out, and then a decade later when Avatar was released.

On both ocassions all of my friends and every corner of the internet was raving about how incredibly realistic the CG characters were in those films.

Look at the work in those movies now - it's embarrassingly unconvincing and often downright lame. :td:

Edited by GollyBuster, 29 December 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#5    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,240 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Or Final Fantasy ~ Spirits Within .... or that Beowulf (?) didn't even watched that one after seeing the trailers ...

*cool avvy GollyBuster ~ you got a dragon tattoo too ? ;) *

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,008 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

Does it.. cook?

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,523 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 29 December 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Does it.. cook?

Not yet...but like any woman IT CAN TELL YOU HOW TO -  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users