Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Impending Attack on the Olympics in Russia

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,527 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

With the recent attacks on civilians, and the "suggestion" that radcal Islamic militants have "pre-prepared" attacks in the "security zone", any thoughts ?

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,595 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm wondering why they would tip thier hand so early if the real goal is to attack the olympics?

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

View Postpallidin, on 30 December 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

With the recent attacks on civilians, and the "suggestion" that radcal Islamic militants have "pre-prepared" attacks in the "security zone", any thoughts ?
Oh yes, I have lots of thoughts and lots to say, but its a no go subject for me now.

leave it to Putin, unlike Cameron, he will sort the radical islamists out.

enough said from  me.

Edited by freetoroam, 30 December 2013 - 07:49 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,527 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

I guess Putin is saying that this will be the most protected Olympics in history.

Time will tell.

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,217 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

I didn't know who or what was behind the bombings in Russia til I just read up on it. According to the Huffington Post article I read, there was a video released in July by the leader of the radical Islamists in the area urging maximum force to prevent the games from being held.

Do I think something will happen? I think it's likely and I wouldn't put it past any radical religious group to use violence to achieve their ends.

I think it's sad that we have turned something that was meant to be uplifting for athletes who work hard most of their lives into something meaningless. It started with the drugs and now it's moved into using something very UNpolitical to make a very political statement. Perhaps it's time to end the Olympics for good. After all, the host cities dig themselves into financial black holes trying to outdo one another. The motto for the Olympics is Citius, Altius, Fortius; not "can we outdo the host country from four years ago?"

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

The bomb attacks now which have killed innocent people and injured many, is the main priority now, not only in finding those responsible behind them but also to prevent more bombings,  the Olympics are not more important than those who are dying NOW.
yes the olympics may be at threat, but the security will be tighter than a knats behind, the unprotected people on the street need to be protected...now.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,527 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 30 December 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Perhaps it's time to end the Olympics for good. After all, the host cities dig themselves into financial black holes trying to outdo one another. The motto for the Olympics is Citius, Altius, Fortius; not "can we outdo the host country from four years ago?"

I disagree.The Olympics are a world-wide sporting event. It should, and must, continue regardless of politics or threat.

#8    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,073 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

The Olympic site is about 400 K  from the bombing.   ..  nearly as far from Moscow..     Why the rush to link these bombings with a Threat on the Olympics?  

It was on The News    nearly before it happened.       Has anyone said why she did it?    Was she one of the "black widows" ?   (wives of fallen soldiers)

Horrific clip on the news of the exterior of train station during the blast ... wasn't it?   terrifying .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#9    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,527 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

View Postlightly, on 30 December 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

The Olympic site is about 400 K  from the bombing.   ..  nearly as far from Moscow.. Why the rush to link these bombings with a Threat on the Olympics?  

It was on The News nearly before it happened.    Has anyone said why she did it? Was she one of the "black widows" ?   (wives of fallen soldiers)

Horrific clip on the news of the exterior of train station during the blast ... wasn't it?   terrifying .

The "so-called" mouthpiece of these bombings have declared a direct link to the Olympics, due, in part, to the land being used was forcefully taken by the Russians from Islamic militants. They say it's a "Satanic dance" on their territory, thus not sitting well with them.

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,151 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

The most interesting aspect of all this that I've been aware of is the potential role the Saudis have admitted they might play.  The king basically told Putin he could stop the attacks IF Putin would help on Syria.  Putin's take seems to be "you don't tell me, I TELL YOU"  :)  So the bombings have begun 6 weeks prior to the games.  If they continue or escalate it could raise a real difficulty for the games.
ETA: Since when have the Saudis (of all players) been so loud and insistent in public?  Answer is - since Obama knifed them over Syria and Iran!

Edited by and then, 30 December 2013 - 09:09 PM.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#11    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Since when have the Saudis (of all players) been so loud and insistent in public?  Answer is - since Obama knifed them over Syria and Iran!

Can you elaborate?

#12    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,027 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Security is going to be the most expensive ever for these games - again, and it will set a precedent for future games. Every country attending will pay the price, not just Russia.

We are being robbed by extremists of our right to gather and enjoy each others company without fear, I think that is abominable and utterly unforgiveable.  Whatever their grievance, I have no interest in it, they have killed 31 people in two bombing attacks, that's what I see - cold blooded murderers and that is how they should be pursued like the base animals they have become.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#13    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,027 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

And so the crackdown begins - as the death toll climbs to 34:

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=wo_c2

From the article:

Russian police have detained dozens of people in an anti-terrorism operation in Volgograd, the southern city where two suspected suicide bombings killed more than 30 people this week.

The heightened security measures, in which thousands of police officers searched hundreds of people, came as Australia announced limits on the movements of its athletes when they travel to Russia for the 2014 Olympic Games.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

#14    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I suspect that no attacks will be made in Sochi or any of the venues. The security is too tight, though as the saying goes "We have to be lucky all of the time, the terorists only have to be lucky once". What will not be known for certain is if a long term plan has been in place for an attack, which I doubt. For instance, if I were a terrorist boss then I would have made a plan as soon as Sochi was awarded the games. Made contacts with likely contractors and by any means attempted to insert explosives into structures as they were being built. This happened in Chechnya in 2004 when explosives built into a football stadium were set off and the then president of Chechnya, Akhmad Kadyrov, and about thirty others, were killed. Also I would have pre installed weapons and ammuntion caches and made a plan that does not need electronic communications. I have no doubt that none of this has been done. What is likely is a major attack somewhere else, perhaps Volgograd again, or closer, like Krasnodar city, which is the local main transport hub for air and rail.

#15    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,027 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:55 AM

I don't agree with the overt bias in this next report but it does speak to the sentiment of some about the current situation in Russia, in particular in relation to the Sochi Games.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c1

What is clear in the article is this:

The social media is full of warnings not to use public transport. In Volgograd, the local police are being flooded with reports about supposed new explosionsand a number of factories have requisitioned buses to transport their employees to and from work.

and,

In 2009, the Islamists turned to terror attacks in Russia proper. Umarov took credit for the bombing of a Moscow to St. Petersburg train in November 2009 in which 27 persons were killed, two suicide attacks in March, 2010 on the Moscow metro in which 40 persons were killed and the suicide bombing in January 2011 of the Domodedovo Airport in which 36 persons were killed and 160 injured.

Terrorist attacks are managing to get thru on a regular basis with regards to transport infrastructure in the country - has enough been learned from these recent attacks and the above recent history to ensure a peaceful games in Sochi? I just don't know.

Edited by libstaK, 01 January 2014 - 03:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users