Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Colorado legalizes recreational pot use

pot cannabis recreational colorado thoughts

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#271    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

View PostYamato, on 11 January 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

Then I disagree completely too.   Cop discretion exists, but show me the academia/research/data on it across geographical/other lines so I can make these inferences accurately.

Police in NY are bad; they're bad in other areas too, for the same or different reasons.
Isn't it more accurate to say that, most places have some bad cops...but most are good people and good cops?

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#272    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,244 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

View PostOverSword, on 10 January 2014 - 06:30 PM, said:

Actually Yamato and MMW it went something like this.  12 years ago the Seattle police, not any other department in the state were instructed not to actively pursue marajuana busts because it was deemed a waste of resources pusuing pot busts with the epidemic or crack, coke, heroine.  From that time on you could pretty much smoke a joint walking down the sidewalk downtown and the police would pretend you were invisible.  There was never a decriminalization.
So it's basically just city ordnance, as is Seattle's right.  And that's just a city.   Extrapolating the same policies/reality to the entire state, and then to the nation as Mel was doing, was a bit ahead of the curve.  There isn't a revolution sweeping the nation yet by any stretch.  

This entire issue (marijuana legalization) is still prenatal.   I suppose the conservatives hope this issue would just go away so the olden days can stay the same and the profit centers can continue to profit.   The Demon-Weed Patrol is going to get steamrolled by science and medicine eventually, but we're a desert away from seeing where everybody lands on this issue.   The Old Guard is ever-vigilant, ever-confident their ways are best.   Clearing the smoke out of peoples' eyes is going to take a herculean effort because the propaganda has been laid on thick and heavy for generations.

Seattle would be a good test population for determining what results of easing marijuana prohibition are.   I presume Seattle proved Bill O'Reilly wrong starting 12 years ago.

Edited by Yamato, 11 January 2014 - 12:30 AM.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#273    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,520 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostYamato, on 09 January 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

Back atcha Mel, you're coming on too strong with your claims here.   They decriminalized possession of small quantities of it 12 years ago.  It is the best word for it because it's a far cry from legalization.   And "ensure no one was arrested"?   Why wouldn't minors be arrested for possessing or using pot under an ounce in your area?   That never happened once?   I don't believe it.

No, not even minors believe it or not. They treated it like a minor in possession... a ticket, a court date, and likely some community service if found guilty.  But I NEVER advocated minors using and neither did the folks who decriminalized it here. We legalized marijuana in December of 2012.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#274    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,520 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Oversword, is correct too... in a simple way... the police got their instructions from the DAs, City Council, who were persuaded by some average citizens to peruse (and Oversword knows at least one of those folks too) ... shortly thereafter, the rest of the state quietly followed suit. By Dec 2012, when legalization happened, there were only 17 people with possession of under an ounce charges awaiting trial in the whole state... the charges were dropped immediately. ALL of those people were also charged with other unrelated crimes as well.

I already mentioned that decriminalization wasn't the right word for it.... more like it was simply ignored by police and prosecutors. They called it the "least priority for prosecution" Could they prosecute? Yes. Would they? Nope. I only used decriminalization for lack of a better word.

Edited by MissMelsWell, 11 January 2014 - 04:42 PM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#275    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,244 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostMissMelsWell, on 11 January 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

No, not even minors believe it or not. They treated it like a minor in possession... a ticket, a court date, and likely some community service if found guilty.  But I NEVER advocated minors using and neither did the folks who decriminalized it here. We legalized marijuana in December of 2012.
Understood, but you don't have court dates and tickets for legal things, that's why legalize isn't the right word for it.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#276    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,244 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

What's good about recreational pot?    That good.

Why shouldn't the world have beautiful music to listen to inspired by a plant that provides a safe euphoria and improved creativity?

#277    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

Legalizing pot has not spurred use among U.S. teens: study

Our results are not consistent with the hypothesis that the legalization of medical marijuana caused an increase in the use of marijuana among high school students," D. Mark Anderson of Montana State University, Daniel Rees of the University of Colorado and Benjamin Hansen of the University of Oregon wrote.
http://news.yahoo.co...-140618382.html

RESIDENT TROLL.

#278    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,963 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Just got back from CO. The stores there are awesome, we went in to three of them. Everyone in the town was great.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#279    quillius

quillius

52.0839° N, 1.4328° E

• 5,591 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

View Postaztek, on 30 July 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

Our results are not consistent with the hypothesis that the legalization of medical marijuana caused an increase in the use of marijuana among high school students," D. Mark Anderson of Montana State University, Daniel Rees of the University of Colorado and Benjamin Hansen of the University of Oregon wrote.

I would like to know if there is a spike in the number of students using it, has this caused a downward trend in those drinking? if so then its a good thing surely.

#280    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,093 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostYamato, on 13 January 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

What's good about recreational pot? That good.

Why shouldn't the world have beautiful music to listen to inspired by a plant that provides a safe euphoria and improved creativity?

Yam, I just decided I would like to share a bowl with you should we ever meet.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#281    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,093 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

View Postaztek, on 30 July 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

People are so funny sometimes. Why would anyone think there would be a massive influx in pot use just because it's legalized? It's just another day for most people. Does every single teen take up heavy drinking as soon as they are legal? Of course not. Just like the people who smoked pot before can now walk in to a store and buy it, while the people who don't smoke pot....don't smoke pot. Sometimes we don't give ourselves enough credit.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#282    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

oops wrong thread.

Edited by aztek, 30 July 2014 - 05:18 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#283    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

View Postquillius, on 30 July 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

I would like to know if there is a spike in the number of students using it, has this caused a downward trend in those drinking? if so then its a good thing surely.

On a related note, it's been nearly 20 years ago that the Dutch essentially legalized pot, and the data showed that the rates of pot use in Holland amongst the youngsters was actually lower than the rates of use among US youngsters.

Forbidden Fruit Syndrome in play?

#284    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,244 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

Posted Image

#285    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,257 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 30 July 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Forbidden Fruit Syndrome in play?

Probably.

Honestly, in a world where you can kill yourself legally with cigarettes and whiskey why worry so much about pot.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

Also tagged with pot, cannabis, recreational, colorado, thoughts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users