Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Families put Obamacare to the real test

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Just the latest info about it.

They all say they’re relieved and excited to finally have new access to health care, and they hope that the rocky rollout of the exchanges under the Affordable Care Act will actually give way to the smooth delivery of vital medical services.

http://www.nbcnews.c...cid=msnhp&pos=1

Alrighty then, let the eventual mud slinging debates began! Cause we all know it's gonna go that way. :P

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,013 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Two professionals in their 30s, with 3 young children BOTH quite their jobs and have to rely on COBRA coverage - yeah, that's a brilliant move.

Sorry, but no amount of white washing from NBC is going to make this thing not stink.  And, frankly, all of these folks profiled in the article are saying nothing more than "well, it's been a disaster up until now, but we have faith that they'll get it all worked out".  A tremendous vote of confidence.

Here's an article that has a bit of a different take on the whole situation:

http://p.washingtont...te-makes-a-qui/

Oh and then there's the little matter about the contraceptive mandate that was just delayed by Justice Sotameyer.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#3    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,735 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

My cousin owns a small shop he is screwed.he has to cut hours and other things everybody I know got screwed by Obama care

#4    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

That's kind of vague.  Was he screwed because he had more than 50 fulltime people and had to offer health insurance?  Kind of hard to discuss the problems of a system if no one really gives the details.

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,013 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Here's a family that's having a much different experience:

http://seattle.cbslo...1-year-old-son/

Kate Holly, 33, tells KOIN-TV that she originally championed President Barack Obama’s signature health care law because she thought it would help people in her situation.

“I’ve been a cheerleader for the Affordable Care Act since I heard about it and I assumed that it was designed for people in my situation,” Holly, a freelance yoga instructor, told KOIN. “I was planning on using the Affordable Care Act and I had done the online calculator in advance to make sure I was going to be able to afford it.”

Holly’s husband works for a non-profit organization that pays for his health care, but the couple is unable to afford to have her and their son covered under his plan. And she’s been told their combined income is too much to qualify for a subsidized health care plan under Cover Oregon.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#6    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

That story seemed kind of odd, so I went and looked up the subsidy for a family of three in Oregon.  Evidently you have to make more than 78,000$ for a family of three to not qualify for a subsidy.  Seems to me it is more of a case of not wanting to afford insurance rather than not being able to afford it.

#7    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostGromdor, on 02 January 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

That story seemed kind of odd, so I went and looked up the subsidy for a family of three in Oregon.  Evidently you have to make more than 78,000$ for a family of three to not qualify for a subsidy.  Seems to me it is more of a case of not wanting to afford insurance rather than not being able to afford it.
I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with Obamacare.  It's a huge scam and I'm not falling for it.  It's like the Roach Motel...you go in...but you never come out...more even like...The Hotel California...you can never leave.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,013 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

Yeah, because $78K a year for a family of three in Seattle is like Mitt Romney 1% money.

#9    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,995 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

What rafter said and is that $78k gross? Because that's probably more like $60k net. Either way that ain't much for a few people, especially kids.

Posted Image

#10    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:45 AM

View PostRafterman, on 03 January 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

Yeah, because $78K a year for a family of three in Seattle is like Mitt Romney 1% money.

Umm.  According to the article you posted she lives in Oregon not Seattle.  Portland is a decent sized city but nowhere near Seattle or New York for cost of living.  For reference though, my uncle and aunt live in Oregon and earn $52,000 and have insurance.

#11    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,995 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

View PostGromdor, on 03 January 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

Umm.  According to the article you posted she lives in Oregon not Seattle.  Portland is a decent sized city but nowhere near Seattle or New York for cost of living.  For reference though, my uncle and aunt live in Oregon and earn $52,000 and have insurance.

Great but different strokes for different folks. Your uncles needs, circumstances and finances surely differ from the family in question. Just because I make more money than someone who has something I don't but arguably should doesn't mean I should fork out the cash for it. Maybe I'm in more debt than a lesser earner. Maybe that's not wise but it isn't up to anyone else to decide what I should spend my money on. Unless I break a major law it shouldn't be up to society or the government to regulate my spending habits. Making bad decisions is self-punishing enough and I don't need Washington or my neighbor to lift me up or set me straight. Health insurance isn't a bad thing but it should be a choice.

Posted Image

#12    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:02 AM

To be blunt, the impression I got from reading the article was that she was either looking for a single payer system or a handout.  She wants the insurance, but she also seems to want you to pay for it.

#13    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,995 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

View PostGromdor, on 03 January 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

To be blunt, the impression I got from reading the article was that she was either looking for a single payer system or a handout.  She wants the insurance, but she also seems to want you to pay for it.

I'm not down with that BUT if she is being forced where else might she turn unless she re-works her entire financial situation or makes a lot more money which might not be a bad idea but so what maybe she was content how things were. It's a real shame people have to now consider being forced into having a 'car payment to mortgage size' insurance bill every month and year for the rest of their lives and in many cases will have to choose between one or the other (a car/home payment or insurance). Which would you choose?

Edited by F3SS, 03 January 2014 - 04:18 AM.

Posted Image

#14    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

That's the problem with new stories like this.  They really don't give enough information to find out what is truly going on.  Only enough to inflame emotions and spark speculation.   It is more propaganda than news.

So other than saying it sounds fishy and speculating about her finances, I can't answer that for her.
As for myself, I have never allowed myself to get into a situation where I even had a risk of that happening.  So I can't relate.  To be honest, watching the cost of my insurance and health care rocket up in the past decade, as well as stories about medical bankruptcies was the number one worry about my future finances.  Which is why all this Obamacare stuff interests me so much.  I want to see the problem solved before I do have to start making those choices.  It's one of the reasons I bite my tongue and am willing to give Obamacare a shot despite the parts of it that worry me.

#15    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,995 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:45 AM

Alright, but what's your gut tell you?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users