Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


Weirdness in the woods


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined:12 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Female

  • Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

    Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

I don't know if this belongs here, but it's something I've been wondering for a while now.
I live on a mountain, and my backyard is basically a forest that goes on for who knows how long. It spans over a mountain, and probably has a good hundred or so kilometres until it hits anything remotely populated by people. Maybe a campground...
But anyways, the forest is really weird. It's a mixture of birch and pine trees, but there's no little animals roaming around in it. There's the occasional deer, coyote, lynx, or bear, but no little squirrels or birds or anything. There are wolves and mountain lion in the area, but I've never seen them near my house.

In the rest of my yard, there's birds galor, but I go up into the forest and there's no birds at all. There's no sounds either. No squirrels making squirrel noises, no birds chirping, maybe the occasional crow somewhere far away cawing, but besides that just the trees. There's no little animals, or noises at all.

It's actually quite eerie, it's so silent and devoid of animals... Plus there's always this feeling of being watched. Maybe it's just paranoia, but when I go hiking with my brother, I take the back because I can feel something watching us, and if anything were to attack, I'd rather it get me because he's smaller. But it's so intense, and creepy.

I've also had a few experiences where there has been something crashing around nearby me that my dogs had not detected. Which is odd, because they can smell things up the mountain, so they bark all the time, but one time I went up a little ways in, and I wasn't too worried because my dogs weren't barking, but then something comes crashing towards me just a few feet away. It stopped, and I quickly but calmly retreated, but it still scared me.

But my main question is, is why is the forest so empty of life? There's no squirrels, or chipmunks, or birds or nothing. It's dead silent, and has an over all creepy feel. Even my friend who spends a bunch of time hiking around said that the forest by my house feels weird and creepy.

Also, there are squirrels and stuff in my area. There's a campground nearby that is far into the woods, but is still teaming with squirrels and birds and stuff.
We also go camping farther away, and deep into the woods there, there is still little creatures, and it doesn't have the creepy feel to them.

It might be a tad off topic, but I really want to know why the forest by my house is so creepy and weird compared to everywhere else.

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#2    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

    The Holy Dopamine Ghost

  • Member
  • 5,361 posts
  • Joined:08 Sep 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Skaro

  • Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

First off things do crash (Trees, Rock slides etc) in the Woods wether you are their, or not.

Dense forest just sometimes does not support certain animals due to habitat needs.Cut a swath through a forest, and certain animals will increase, and flourish.

Get yourself a trail cam that you can afford, and see what you see, and even put some feed corn in front of it too.

Try sitting down for a half hour, and be very quiet, then watch.

Edited by davros of skaro, 02 January 2014 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#3    George Ford

George Ford

    Just pretend you didn't see anything

  • Banned
  • 3,149 posts
  • Joined:02 May 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:nowhere

  • 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

A trial camera sounds like a great idea. There maybe be something living near you that has killed and eaten and scared off the smaller animals like birds and squirrels, possibly some sort of Pine Martin type creature. I think you should consider getting a weapon to keep in your home in case there are any dangerous creatures about. Also consider taking a good Buck knife when you are out and about, although your dogs will probably keep most creatures at bay. If you have a camera please take a load of photos next time you go for a walk, you never know what you might get. Also post the photos here.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#4    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

    The Holy Dopamine Ghost

  • Member
  • 5,361 posts
  • Joined:08 Sep 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Skaro

  • Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

View Postbulveye, on 02 January 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

A trial camera sounds like a great idea. There maybe be something living near you that has killed and eaten and scared off the smaller animals like birds and squirrels, possibly some sort of Pine Martin type creature. I think you should consider getting a weapon to keep in your home in case there are any dangerous creatures about. Also consider taking a good Buck knife when you are out and about, although your dogs will probably keep most creatures at bay. If you have a camera please take a load of photos next time you go for a walk, you never know what you might get. Also post the photos here.

Good point, and even Yotes will gobble up all the lil critters too.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#5    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

    Heatseeker

  • Member
  • 11,960 posts
  • Joined:19 Dec 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Avengers Tower

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Where is your house?

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

I agree with the above comments.  I would guess that if you put out a few bird feeders, some feed corn, and a salt lick or two, your empty woods would suddenly be teeming with life.

Not to mention, if those larger animals are present as you claim, they have to be eating something, right?

Edited by Rafterman, 02 January 2014 - 10:59 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#7    joc

joc

    Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

  • Member
  • 14,465 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet

  • They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

'tis the nature of the deep forest.  Birds and squirrels like to be around people...food is more plentiful...and...the dangers of lurking predators diminish because of the human presence.  Your dogs have an incredible sense of smell...but they cannot smell something if the breeze is blowing the wrong direction.  You didn't say what crashed in front of you.  I suppose you didn't see it.  Deer possibly.  Also...there are eyes watching you...everywhere.  If the animals come around  your house it is because they are familiar with people.  In the deep woods...YOU...are the intruder...your presence 'hushes' the forest.  They can all hear you tromping  mile away...and that distant caw of a crow...they are talking about YOU.  Do not be afraid of the woods...but be prepared to be attacked by anything out there...deer, skunk, possum, wolf, coyote, lion...always carry and keep close at hand pepper spray...and a weapon if you have one.  And don't go far without a compass.  The woods are very, very much alive.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#8    Bloodflower

Bloodflower

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,467 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Monster Avenue

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

It sounds like a really beautiful place that you live in. I want to live beside a creepy forest. You've made me jealous now. Sorry that was a bit off topic. Some forests are so dense that sounds of animals and birds won't escape from it. It's likely that your forest is one of those deep thick forests. I'm certain you have wildlife in there. Is it possible to post a picture of it?

"When a wolf doesn't want to do something, they look really cute!"
Michelle Paver

#9    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

    Seeker79

  • Member
  • 12,999 posts
  • Joined:12 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

    Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostNighthawk9653, on 02 January 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

I don't know if this belongs here, but it's something I've been wondering for a while now.
I live on a mountain, and my backyard is basically a forest that goes on for who knows how long. It spans over a mountain, and probably has a good hundred or so kilometres until it hits anything remotely populated by people. Maybe a campground...
But anyways, the forest is really weird. It's a mixture of birch and pine trees, but there's no little animals roaming around in it. There's the occasional deer, coyote, lynx, or bear, but no little squirrels or birds or anything. There are wolves and mountain lion in the area, but I've never seen them near my house.

In the rest of my yard, there's birds galor, but I go up into the forest and there's no birds at all. There's no sounds either. No squirrels making squirrel noises, no birds chirping, maybe the occasional crow somewhere far away cawing, but besides that just the trees. There's no little animals, or noises at all.

It's actually quite eerie, it's so silent and devoid of animals... Plus there's always this feeling of being watched. Maybe it's just paranoia, but when I go hiking with my brother, I take the back because I can feel something watching us, and if anything were to attack, I'd rather it get me because he's smaller. But it's so intense, and creepy.

I've also had a few experiences where there has been something crashing around nearby me that my dogs had not detected. Which is odd, because they can smell things up the mountain, so they bark all the time, but one time I went up a little ways in, and I wasn't too worried because my dogs weren't barking, but then something comes crashing towards me just a few feet away. It stopped, and I quickly but calmly retreated, but it still scared me.

But my main question is, is why is the forest so empty of life? There's no squirrels, or chipmunks, or birds or nothing. It's dead silent, and has an over all creepy feel. Even my friend who spends a bunch of time hiking around said that the forest by my house feels weird and creepy.

Also, there are squirrels and stuff in my area. There's a campground nearby that is far into the woods, but is still teaming with squirrels and birds and stuff.
We also go camping farther away, and deep into the woods there, there is still little creatures, and it doesn't have the creepy feel to them.

It might be a tad off topic, but I really want to know why the forest by my house is so creepy and weird compared to everywhere else.
Game usually holds In cover between water a steep terrain. My guess is your area is a transitional zone. Most animals will not live on mountains. Check down in one of the ravines with water. Animals will also congregate where humans go because we drop all kinds if useful things, tend to make navigatable trails everywhere, and follow water ourselves. Your dog will not be able to smell something upwind, possibly hear it, but things like mountain lions are notoriously stealthy. Chances are you are being watched by a mountain lion, I bet your dog knows it. If you are walking your dog and its a good dog put the wind at your back if you are worried about attack. Wind will have a tendency to blow down hill until about 10 am in calm weather and will then shift to blowing uphill until it starts to cool in the evening.

Check for game trails in your area, I bet you will find some. Take care.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#10    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Joined:16 Dec 2013

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 02 January 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

Try sitting down for a half hour, and be very quiet, then watch.

Most people, when they visit the woods, make so much noise that they see few animals, and the few animals they do see, are running away in terror.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#11    George Ford

George Ford

    Just pretend you didn't see anything

  • Banned
  • 3,149 posts
  • Joined:02 May 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:nowhere

  • 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

To the OP, can you post pictures even if there are no creatures please. I want to see what it looks like out there next to the wilderness.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#12    coolguy

coolguy

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,393 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:east islip , new york

  • Star trek rules

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

That is Erie,something is going on.the deep woods creeps me lol.set some cameras maybe its ufos landing.try doing Bigfoot calls


#13    scowl

scowl

    Government Agent

  • Closed
  • 4,111 posts
  • Joined:17 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

View PostNighthawk9653, on 02 January 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

But my main question is, is why is the forest so empty of life? There's no squirrels, or chipmunks, or birds or nothing. It's dead silent, and has an over all creepy feel. Even my friend who spends a bunch of time hiking around said that the forest by my house feels weird and creepy.

I've been on lots and lots of hikes and camping trips in which I saw no animals. This does not mean the areas were "empty of life". It means the life is smarter than us.

If there are large trees, animals prefers to say high in them where you won't see them unless you're looking for them. I went on a camping trip with a wildlife photographer and I swear that guy could see a bird out of the corner of his eye that took me ten seconds to see with binoculars. He regularly saw wildlife that I had overlooked.

Last summer I hiked through a clearing in a forest and took several wide angle photos of the area. When I looked at them later I saw that marmots had been peaking out of their burrows at me the whole time. I didn't see a single one of them which p***ed me off because I had a long 400mm lens and they would have made adorable photos. I'm terrible at wildlife photography!

So not weird. Not creepy. Just nature.


#14    pumpkinheadOO

pumpkinheadOO

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined:17 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

I have been an avid hunter and fisherman all my life and have lived in houses that were backed right up against the mountain as well. I too have seen that the further up the mountains you go and the thicker the trees and underbrush get, the less plentiful the small animals are. I have spent whole days hunting up near the tops of mountains and seen very few if any small animals. Thats one of the reasons I choose to hunt in these locations, there are less noises being made from small animals.

I can also say that many times while being in an area heavily populated by squirrels and other small critters that after the first screech of a hawk the entire area will become dead silent except for the occasional squirrel giving out a distress call. I dont know if there are hawks in your area but birds of prey will definitely keep all the small animals in the dens.


#15    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Joined:12 Aug 2013
  • Gender:Female

  • Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

    Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. It's night time right now, and winter, but I'll try and get a picture tomorrow, then I'll go through my computer and get some pictures I took when I went up in the summer.

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users