Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Murdered Transgender Woman Honored by Jesuits

homeless transgender jesuit funeral

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,067 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

A homeless Transgender woman has been honoured in a Catholic Funeral.

Excerpts from the article:
Months after Andrea's death, her body remained unclaimed in the morgue. Local charity workers decided Andrea needed to be acknowledged with a Catholic funeral. A priest at Chiesa Del Gesu, one of the most prominent Jesuit churches in Rome opened its doors."With Pope Francis, we have courage, we have enthusiasm," said Father Giovanni La Manna, who helped organize the funeral. "We have no excuse. We are called to open our hearts."

Charity workers, government officials, even the city's mayor gathered to pay tribute. Andrea's coffin lay amid the church's breathtaking frescos. A Catholic mass was held in her memory.

And then something happened that stunned those inside the church.

Throughout the mass, the priest acknowledged Andrea as a 'She'.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c6

I guess the era of compassion and the acceptance that we are all in this together is upon us :)

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#2    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,658 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

SAY WHAAAT!?

Attached Files

Posted Image
Leviticus 14 2 Peter 1:16
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <--Science of belief

#3    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 02 January 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

SAY WHAAAT!?
The Jesuits are, from my understanding, a much more liberal branch of the Catholic Church.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,408 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

It's a shame they waited til she was dead to do anything. If you really want to make an impact, help someone before it's too late.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#5    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 02 January 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

It's a shame they waited til she was dead to do anything. If you really want to make an impact, help someone before it's too late.
Only so much you can do, and it's impossible to prevent every murder.
Making an example of this murder will hopefully mark a step towards changing the treatment of LGBQT among the general Catholic population. Hopefully that'll have an effect on the church too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#6    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,658 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 02 January 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

The Jesuits are, from my understanding, a much more liberal branch of the Catholic Church.

I did not know this.Thanks

Posted Image
Leviticus 14 2 Peter 1:16
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <--Science of belief

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,925 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

The Jesuits are called God's Storm Troopers because of one big reason - their faith is so strong that they can look at the world around them and accept it at face value. They don't deny Dinosaurs, or evolution they accept it and adapt their beliefs to accommodate the facts.

You can argue religion and (say) archeology with a Jesuit and lose both arguments.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,275 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

I find modern Catholics in general to be amoung the more tolerant of Christians. I wonder why that is. I know what other Christian zealots would say, but it used to be Catholics were the standard for intolerance. I suppose like anything else an institution can mature and reach a point of wise old age. Lets hope it continues that way. Having solid actual spiritual  leadership also dosnt hurt

Edited by White Crane Feather, 03 January 2014 - 10:55 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 03 January 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

I find modern Catholics in general to be amoung the more tolerant of Christians. I wonder why that is. I know what other Christian zealots would say, but it used to be Catholics were the standard for intolerance. I suppose like anything else an institution can mature and reach a point of wise old age. Lets hope it continues that way. Having solid actual spiritual  leadership also dosnt hurt
It depends on where you go. Catholics in the US tend to not actually hold to the teachings of the Catholic church much (see the stats for how many accept contraception and support gay marriage for example) and are the largest chunk over all of Christians.

-Terry Pratchett

#10    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,275 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 03 January 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

It depends on where you go. Catholics in the US tend to not actually hold to the teachings of the Catholic church much (see the stats for how many accept contraception and support gay marriage for example) and are the largest chunk over all of Christians.
Yeah, I suppose my exposure is limited to Catholics in my immediate vicinity. Certainly Catholics here use contraception, and I don't think most them care that much one way or the other who Marries who. I have been to quite a few catholic masses and mostly i am reminded me of a scene in the movie "Rango". Just kidding, they are all very nice people.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 03 January 2014 - 11:20 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#11    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,925 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I'm catholic and you'll find that most Catholics are fairly conservative BUT are also proactively supportive of social justice (basically, they'll grizzle that mass isn't said in Latin anymore, that marriage is for life unless you've married a psychopath, but are at the front of the line to give blood, donate time and money to making things better for others, never asking for anything in return etc).

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Also tagged with homeless, transgender, jesuit, funeral

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users