Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Has Belief in Evolution Declined So Much?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

The Atlantic said:

In November, Mischa Fisher took to this space to criticize the notion that Republicans are the anti-science party. Plenty of Democrats hold views that contradict empirically established facts, and Republican skepticism is overblown, he wrote.

And yet ...

The Pew Research Center released new numbers Monday on how Americans view evolution. (The question was asked in a way to include those who believe God or a supreme being guided the process.) About six in 10 accept it, the poll found, but the partisan divide is wide:

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,859 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Democrats pretend science and Republicans pretend religion.   This causes people who either care about science or religion to vote for one of those two parties.   Pretty cool huh?

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#3    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,038 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Do nearly 50% of Republicans really believe that humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of Time? Am I reading that graph right? The question wasn't framed in some way to make it biased? Well, that's quite extraordinary.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#4    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

There has been too much conflicting information published recently.  The Neanderthals are related to humans, not related to humans, we all came from monkeys, fish, etc.  It's confusing to me, so I would rather believe in aliens seeding the earth with humans who look like common humans nowadays.  If they were gods or not, or one god, or a goddess, or none of the above, is also confusing.  Until someone comes up with something more than theories, well... I guess my theory is as good as some.

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,611 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostColonel Rhubarb, on 02 January 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Do nearly 50% of Republicans really believe that humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of Time? Am I reading that graph right? The question wasn't framed in some way to make it biased? Well, that's quite extraordinary.

Why do you think that Republicans have problems recruiting young people?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

I'd like to add that the data comes from people who are actually willing to participate in polls and not necessarily reflective of the general population as a whole.

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,406 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

I believe in both creationism and evolution and don't believe in either the democrats or the republicans.  This article and poll are just ways to make people feel more separate and divided.

#8    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

I can believe the figures.  I found many people don't even know the definition of evolution, theory, or hypothesis.  It's hard to discuss it when the person you are talking to about it was raised to think that evolution means a monkey magically turning into a human.

#9    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,098 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

seems like 60% are dumb idiots, for relating either theory to political parties, I can't wait till they start relating weather and political parties.

and they vote,  lol, for those that believe in voting,

Edited by aztek, 02 January 2014 - 05:08 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#10    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

View Postaztek, on 02 January 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

seems like 60% are dumb idiots, for relating either theory to political parties, I can't wait till they start relating weather and political parties.

and they vote,  lol, for those that believe in voting,

Wait no longer.  http://thinkprogress...riage-equality/

#11    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,038 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

Well, that site doesn't appear to be entirely free from political bias, I have to say, so perhaps we ought to take this with a pinch of salt.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#12    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,355 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

The political bias furthers the proof that weather is being used by parties against each other.

#13    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,047 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

View PostPlanB, on 02 January 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

I'd like to add that the data comes from people who are actually willing to participate in polls and not necessarily reflective of the general population as a whole.

Yeah, I agree.  I have a brother who had to do this type of work, they conducted the polls over the phones, and only dialed land lines.

How many of you own a land line, and then how many of you who do own a land line answer unavailable or unknown 800 numbers?

One of his more funny replies he received once was pertaining to a poll asking if Spanish was spoken in the household.  The elderly woman replied "we don't believe in that Spanish".  :w00t:  Yay Murica!!

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,769 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

The kook left an the kook right both meet in anti-science.  It's just the flavor of the anti-science that's different - one man's creationism and global warming denial is another man's anti-GMOs and anti-vaxx.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users