Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

'Earthquake Lights' Mistaken For UFOs

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Scientists find records of rare "earthquake lights"

They've been mistaken for UFOs or dismissed as hallucinations. Now geologists have collected a near-definitive list of a rare but fascinating phenomenon — earthquake lights.

Certain types of earthquakes in certain areas can set off blazes of light seconds — sometimes days — ahead of the actual quake. These can manifest themselves as floating balls of light, bluish columns shooting up out of the earth and even reverse lightning, reaching up into the sky from the ground.

http://www.13wmaz.co...lights/4290007/

Posted Image

Edited by seeder, 03 January 2014 - 11:31 AM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,437 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

wow, awesomesauce....!!

i just heard about this via hearsay. And then also just descriptions how light phenomena can occur during an earthquake. I find it most amazing that these phenomena seem to occur even days BEFORE an actual earthquake, thus "predicting" it.

One of these things we just start to really discover and describe scientifically. Just like the "sprites" in space. But i'm sure both phenomena have been around for.....EVER, it just took us 2.000.000 years to notice.

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

Not enough evidence there to debunk SpacemanSpleefmaster's YouTube video that I saw.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 03 January 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

wow, awesomesauce....!!

i just heard about this via hearsay. And then also just descriptions how light phenomena can occur during an earthquake. I find it most amazing that these phenomena seem to occur even days BEFORE an actual earthquake, thus "predicting" it.

One of these things we just start to really discover and describe scientifically. Just like the "sprites" in space. But i'm sure both phenomena have been around for.....EVER, it just took us 2.000.000 years to notice.

:tu:   Exactly. Modern science no doubt has many 'answers' to find about many topics, and its good that one more phenomena is understood, and thus ruled out as being UFO. Maybe in time we will also understand all related phenomena, such as the UFO lights at Hessdalen

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

View Postseeder, on 03 January 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

Posted Image

BTW the photo used in the OP is from the 'Tagish Lake ufo sighting' filed by Jim Conacher.   So yet another old story put to bed :tu:

heres another pic and story on same subject

Mystery Flashes Linked to Quakes? “Electricity Surging Out of the Ground And Into The Sky”

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11180669

Posted Image

Edited by seeder, 03 January 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#6    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,437 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

View Postseeder, on 03 January 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

:tu:   Exactly. Modern science no doubt has many 'answers' to find about many topics, and its good that one more phenomena is understood, and thus ruled out as being UFO. Maybe in time we will also understand all related phenomena, such as the UFO lights at Hessdalen

hessdalen was the first thing that popped up in my head when i read your post. It appears kind of same-ish, though Norway hasn't been in the news for being earthquake-ridden for over 70 years.... ;)

#7    Amerix

Amerix

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

Earth quake lights have also been mistaken for a manifestation created by HAARP, and the same people who spew that nonsense like to hope people will forget the fact that earth quake lights, although still unknown of cause, existed LONG before HAARP even existed.

#8    lufia

lufia

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

interesting :yes:

#9    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Paul Devereux has wrote a few books on this phenomena,I remember seeing a documentary where scientists using some kind of industrial press forced 2 rocks against each other and produced small lights in the laboratory.If you imagine the force going on in the earths crust I could well imagine large sustained lights being produced

#10    archernyc

archernyc

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

• Respectful of believers and skeptics alike.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

There were a lot of reports of orbs in California on New Year's Eve. Maybe they're in for the big one??

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

View Postdr no, on 03 January 2014 - 03:10 PM, said:

Paul Devereux has wrote a few books on this phenomena,I remember seeing a documentary where scientists using some kind of industrial press forced 2 rocks against each other and produced small lights in the laboratory.If you imagine the force going on in the earths crust I could well imagine large sustained lights being produced

Its also how lighters work, piezo electric
http://en.wikipedia..../Piezo_ignition

#12    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

View Postarchernyc, on 03 January 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

There were a lot of reports of orbs in California on New Year's Eve. Maybe they're in for the big one??
Very true. I noted this on one of the sites I follow.

#13    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,437 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

View Postarchernyc, on 03 January 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

...that would be the! most! terrible! proof of concept! EVER!!

#14    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 03 January 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

...that would be the! most! terrible! proof of concept! EVER!!

Especially as those who look into such stories have already decided they were just lanterns. On New Years Eve!

#15    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,437 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

View Postseeder, on 03 January 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

Especially as those who look into such stories have already decided they were just lanterns. On New Years Eve!

so, not only terrible, but also. uuhhm,  HIGHLY UNLIKELY.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users