Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why your grandfolks didnt have food allergies

seeder

Why your grandparents didn’t have food allergies

Did your grandparents have food allergies? Mine sure didn’t. A stark comparison to the growing epidemic of food allergies, worsening with every generation.

So why didn’t your grandparents have food allergies? It’s really quite simple…

http://butternutrition.com/why-your-grandparents-didnt-have-food-allergies/

Personally Ive never been allergic to anything. As a child from the 60's I wasnt mollycuddled and over scrubbed with disinfectants, I roamed freely, taking fruit from trees and general 'scrumping' of anything I chose to eat, all the wild berries, fruits etc, and as youngsters lots of our veg came from the garden, as it was a rural farming community we wee also given naturally reared meat from time to time, and eggs, and my mum always home cooked of course. So I guess you are what you eat, allergies and all

Yeah, it probably doesn't have anything to do with better ability to recognize allergies, the simple fact that people with serious allergies were more likely to die instead of survive to adulthood, ect.

Be nice if instead of just claims and statements, there were some actual research presented to match them.

And for the record, my grandmother has allergies, so did my grandfather and father.

My grandparents owned a farm and grew most of their produce.

This is confirmation bias mixed with feel good nonsense.

• Like 4

I have no idea if my grandparents had food allergies. It's not a topic we ever discussed and now they're dead.

Selective mortality as ShadowSot suggests is one possibility. Another may be that they had more serious things to worry about and paid less attention to subtle symptoms. Of course all the additives in food nowadays might have a few in there that cause trouble.

• Like 1

Selective mortality as ShadowSot suggests is one possibility. Another may be that they had more serious things to worry about and paid less attention to subtle symptoms. Of course all the additives in food nowadays might have a few in there that cause trouble.

Larger choice in diet plays a role too. You grandparents would have less of a selection of food available to them.
  • Like 3

Larger choice in diet plays a role too. You grandparents would have less of a selection of food available to them.

Yea not the stuff coming in from Venezuela and Chile and Vietnam (for Americans). Funny but one doesn't hear of food allergies here. We have hay fever and cat dander allergies and of course allergies to things like antibiotics, but I never heard of anyone allergic to peanuts or rice like you hear in the States. May be I'm just not around enough.
  • Like 1

Here's an interesting article that points to several theories that are currently being studied:

http://www.psmag.com/health/rise-food-allergies-first-world-problems-67067/

In a nutshell, the mere fact that we live in much cleaner environments than our grandparents did or others around the world might be part of the issue. Also, studies have shown that high folic acid intake by mothers (something all mothers have been told to do for decades to stave off birth defects) increase allergies among children. The article does point out that no link between GMOs and allergies have ever been found.

• Like 2

Did your grandparents have food allergies? Mine sure didn’t. A stark comparison to the growing epidemic of food allergies, worsening with every generation.

http://butternutriti...food-allergies/

Personally Ive never been allergic to anything. As a child from the 60's I wasnt mollycuddled and over scrubbed with disinfectants, I roamed freely, taking fruit from trees and general 'scrumping' of anything I chose to eat, all the wild berries, fruits etc, and as youngsters lots of our veg came from the garden, as it was a rural farming community we wee also given naturally reared meat from time to time, and eggs, and my mum always home cooked of course. So I guess you are what you eat, allergies and all

Yes, my paternal grandmother had a shellfish allergy. None of my children have any food allergies.

Wheat intolerance is another issue. One of my grandparents was sensitive to wheat but back "then" there was no information about the intricacies of wheat so any ill feelings that came from a meal laden with wheat was merely chalked up to indigestion from eating too much.

Decades ago little to nothing was known about allergies or how one sensitivity could actually cause other allergies either.

So this idea that our grandparents didn't have allergies is kind of misleading if there was no knowledge or awareness that such things existed and if they did, little to nothing was done about it. Basically, if you were a kid you just put up and shut up. If you puked after every meal well then that was just too bad.

Life wasn't all that wonderful "back then". There was no "good ol' days", just a lack of awareness and information.

http://butternutriti...food-allergies/

So, it was you that scrumped the apples in the Vicar's orchard before we got there.