Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is there dark matter around the Earth ?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

New research suggests that the Earth may be heavier than believed due to the presence of dark matter.

Dark matter is a theoretical type of matter that is believed to make up a large percentage of the mass of the universe. It can\'t be observed directly and there is no guarantee that it actually exists at all, but nonetheless this enigmatic material has been a staple of cosmological science for years.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...round-the-earth

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Twin

Twin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

• The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
    Winston Churchill

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

So this explains why my butt is heavier than it should be?

#3    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

There is dark matter in your butt, that's for sure.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#4    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

In fact dark matter is what keeps and regulates  planets and galaxies staying together and stable.

#5    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Dark matter is a theoretical type of matter that is believed to make up a large percentage of the mass of the universe. It can't be observed directly and there is no guarantee that it actually exists at all, but nonetheless this enigmatic material has been a staple of cosmological science for years.

Translation: We made it up.

Edited by Eluus, 05 January 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,139 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostEluus, on 05 January 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Translation: We made it up.
I would repudiate that.  It's there and can be measured.  It's just that we don't know what it is.

#7    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 January 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

I would repudiate that.  It's there and can be measured.  It's just that we don't know what it is.

Would you be so kind to provide a link that shows how it can be measured?

Other than something like "well gravity of known matter only explains a small percentage of it so the rest must be Dark Matter".

Edited by Eluus, 05 January 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,139 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

No; this is well known and cynicism uncalled for.  Do your own research and don't come here expecting people to prove that stupid statements are wrong.

#9    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 January 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

No; this is well known and cynicism uncalled for.  Do your own research and don't come here expecting people to prove that stupid statements are wrong.

If you have anything to back your assertion please do provide. If not, please try to refrain from personal attacks and making pointless posts.

It's not well known that "it's there and can be measured". Quite the opposite, it's well known that it's not proven and it can't be measured in any way.

Edited by Eluus, 05 January 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,139 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

That is outrageous; you expressed the cynicism; you have the burden of proof.  I did not make a personal remark; I just said that your cynicism is stupid.

#11    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 January 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

That is outrageous; you expressed the cynicism; you have the burden of proof.

Just like how one can't prove the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist, it can't be proven that Dark Matter doesn't exist. Burden of proof doesn't work that way. Since you're the one who claimed that "It's there and can be measured", the burden of proof is on you to prove that. I'll save you the trouble though, there's no proof that Dark Matter exists.

You'd have saved yourself the emberrasment even if you would just read the above article.

Dark matter is a theoretical type of matter that is believed to make up a large percentage of the mass of the universe. It can\'t be observed directly and there is no guarantee that it actually exists at all, but nonetheless this enigmatic material has been a staple of cosmological science for years.

The only thing that backs Dark Matter is belief.

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,139 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Anyone can do the research to show that dark matter is real enough, so you are playing the fool.  All power to you.

#13    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 January 2014 - 10:12 AM, said:

Anyone can do the research to show that dark matter is real enough, so you are playing the fool.  All power to you.

Real enough? :w00t:

You made my day.

#14    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 2,985 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Eluus, before you post further, may I suggest you do at least a tiny bit of research (gee, even the Wiki will get you started) on the concept of dark matter?  Here, let me quote from that erudite source to help you:

..the existence and properties of dark matter are inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter, radiation, and the large-scale structure of the universe...
...Astrophysicists hypothesized dark matter due to discrepancies between the mass of large astronomical objects determined from their gravitational effects and the mass calculated from the "luminous matter" they contain: stars, gas, and dust...
...It was first postulated by Jan Oort in 1932 to account for the orbital velocities of stars in the Milky Way and by Fritz Zwicky in 1933 to account for evidence of "missing mass" in the orbital velocities of galaxies in clusters. Subsequently, many other observations have indicated the presence of dark matter in the universe, including...
- rotational speeds of galaxies by Vera Rubin, in the 1960s–1970s..
- gravitational lensing of background objects by galaxy clusters..
- temperature distribution of hot gas in galaxies and clusters of galaxies..
- the pattern of anisotropies in the cosmic microwave background...

According to consensus among cosmologists, dark matter is composed primarily of a not yet characterized type of subatomic particle.

Now, Eluus, which of those observations are you disputing?  All/any of them?  Please give details.  Do you have another theory for ..er .. gravity and everythin'.. that's better and explains all these observations?

Sure, it's just a hypothesis at this stage, but it's fair to say that it is the simplest solution to explain the observations, so far.  There are some weird and wonderful alternative ideas have been postulated that do not involve extra matter, and mainstream science is always open to better ideas as long as they better explain the observations..  To date, dark matter wins..

Unless you dispute the observations I've quoted from Wiki above, then you need to accept something as the answer, otherwise you are being a bit of a King Canute - you're gunna get wet feet...

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#15    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

View PostChrLzs, on 05 January 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

Eluus, before you post further, may I suggest you do at least a tiny bit of research (gee, even the Wiki will get you started) on the concept of dark matter?  Here, let me quote from that erudite source to help you:

I wish you didn't assume I haven't made any research regarding Dark Matter but hey, at least you didn't make any (obvious) insults.

Now, Eluus, which of those observations are you disputing?  All/any of them?  Please give details.  Do you have another theory for ..er .. gravity and everythin'.. that's better and explains all these observations?

Dark matter is made up by mainstream science so that Gravity could remain the dominant force to explain how the universe works. The wiki article and pretty much everything else on Dark Matter are only technical ways of doing that. But please, if there's any evidence regarding the existence of Dark Matter (or the flying spaghetti monster for that matter) feel free to prodive. It would be much appreciated.

Unless you dispute the observations I've quoted from Wiki above, then you need to accept something as the answer, otherwise you are being a bit of a King Canute - you're gunna get wet feet...

Gravity ("of the observable matter") only accounts for 4%. That, we know. There's the 96% (and the observations) that can't be explained by Gravity ("of the observable matter"). Mainstream science "believes" it's Dark Matter because of the dogma that gravity must be the dominant force. Even though it may sound simple, it's not a good answer. I'll remain skeptical until there's evidence for the existence of this "belief".

Edited by Eluus, 05 January 2014 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users