Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giraffe Was on Menu in Pompeii Restaurants

giraffe pompeii mount vesuvius restaurants porta stabia

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,279 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Giraffe was on the menu in Pompeii's standard restaurants, says a new research into a non-elite section of the ancient Roman city buried by Mount Vesuvius' eruption in 79 A.D.

Representing the height of exotic food, it is also "the only giraffe bone ever recorded from an archaeological excavation in Roman Italy,"

http://news.discover...ants-140103.htm

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,996 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Scene: The Deli counter in Marcus & Spencius Food Store, High Street, Pompeii.
Time: C76AD.

Mrs.Gallius Credulus, "Can I have about 18 inches of neck please? Oh wait a minute, we've got company this weekend....Better make it 2 feet 6 inches. Doesn't matter if it's a bit over."

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,372 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

I was at Pompeii when they were doing this dig... pretty cool to watch the archeologists work, or at least I thought it was. That same trip, I got a special tour where we got to meet the archeologists working on the hillside homes in Ephesus Turkey as well. It was a total fluke that the guide we'd hired in Kusadasi to take us to Ephesus had worked on the dig the summer previously and was able to get us access to the dig directly. They let me take a brush to one of the giant floor mosaics and uncover some tiles. LOL. I'd have stayed longer if it hadn't been a staggering 125 degrees in there! LOL. Our guide got a GIANT tip from us.

If I wasn't so opposed to being dirty, sweaty or inconvenienced, I'd have loved to have been an archeologist! LOL

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,593 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

They could replace the cow.

#5    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

I'll bet the giraffe had a much wider range back then.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,996 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Ealdwita snippet alert.......

The Latin name for the giraffe is.......Giraffa Camelopardarlis......from the Greek kàmelo - camel, and Latin pardalis - leopard. The first Westerners to see a giraffe decided that it was a cross between those two animals. (camel's head and body and a leopard's spots)

English heraldry sometimes added a pair of curved horns to the giraffe and emblazoned* it as a Cameleopard.

* Described textually rather than pictorially.

Edited by ealdwita, 05 January 2014 - 03:45 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#7    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,420 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostXynoplas, on 04 January 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

I'll bet the giraffe had a much wider range back then.
no, the Roman Empire expanded and had lots of trade

#8    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

I wonder what giraffe tastes like...?

#9    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Eternal Seeker

• 3,336 posts

• You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.-Shaun Hick

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

View PostTheSpoonyOne, on 05 January 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

I'd try it.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

#10    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Long cow?

#11    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I have to admit I've always wanted to visit Pompeii. I'm not surprised they had Giraffe, they used to gather exotic animals from all over the empire, haul them to Italy, take them to the various coliseums, kill them then off to the butcher's shop they'd go.

I recall reading that at one particular banquet they feasted on a casserole that was made from the brains of flamingos. There were a thousand guests at this banquet, can you imagine how many flamingos had to die to make enough to feed a thousand guests? The Romans were known for their excesses in everything.

#12    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,302 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Hardly surprising that this or any other animal was on the menu of any ancient city. Anything is edible when you come down to it.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#13    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,996 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 06 January 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Hardly surprising that this or any other animal was on the menu of any ancient city. Anything is edible when you come down to it.

Erm...Would you mind awfully if I changed my mind about accepting your kind invitation to that dinner party next week?  Posted Image

#14    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

chicken

#15    Dougward5

Dougward5

Apparition

• PipPip