Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Strange experience

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Badger75

Badger75

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

This is something that happened to me a number of years ago, 1st November 1976 or 77.
I was about 13 or 14, and I have come home to an empty house after being sent to Church.

I was brought up a Catholic and 1st November is not only "all saints day" but it's also my brothers birthday. It always peeved me somewhat that my brother was always off school on his birthday although it did mean we had to attend mass at some point in the day. This particular day all the family had got up fairly early to attend Church apart from me, so I was instructed to attend a later session while the rest of the family went out for the evening. So at 7:30pm I walked to church, done my usual, hanging about in the foyer, see which priest was conducting the service (in case I was questioned on it later) got the gist of the sermon, grabbed a mass sheet for proof of my attendance and came home.
At this point I'll point out that from a very early age there was always someone in our house as both my grandparents lived with us (although my grandfather had passed away in 1969) and my grandmother rarely left the house, but for some reason had decided to join the rest of the family on their trip to a near by social club that evening. I was returning home to an empty house apart from our pet dog.
I entered my home, quite looking forward to the potential peace and quiet of an empty house but as soon as I walked in I could hear faint singing from upstairs. I listened from the hallway at the bottom of the stairs to try to make out if the voice was familiar or maybe it was coming from the one radio (in my parents room that was used as an alarm clock) but I could tell it was none of these. I decided to call my friend and ask him to come up, (he lived less than 2 minutes walk from me) I explained that there was no one in, his reply shocked me. He said "who's that singing in the background"
This was the days before mobile phones and our land line, as was with most homes in the UK at the time, was in the hall at the bottom of the stairs.
I just replied "I need you to come up now" and hung up the phone without any further explanation.
Within a couple of minutes he was knocking at my door, I let him in and walked into the living room with him following me. As I began to explain what I had heard we both heard a noise from upstairs and what sounded like someone walking down the stairs.
A number of years earlier my father had removed the panels from the banister and replaced them with metal stair rods, these stair rods adjusted to the length required so when they were fixed in place, if you used the banister as a hand rail while walking down the stair they would move up and down and would make a racket, there was no mistake, this was the familiar noise we were hearing. At this point the dog started to bark, heckles up facing the door into the hallway in the corner of the room. Both myself and my friend moved to the opposite corner of the room to the door in absolute terror as we heard someone coming down the stairs.
The door into the hall way was full glass although it was bubbled and patterned you could see through fairly clearly and at the angle we were standing we could also see the door into the kitchen, which was at a 45 degree angle to the living room door and had the same glass.
So my friend and myself were pushed up against the television in the corner of the living room, the dog was in front of us going absolutely mental barking and snarling, jumping forwards and backwards towards the door leading to the hall which was diagonally opposite to where we were standing.
Our kitchen door, which was visible to us through the living room door would "judder" when opened on account of it catching on the kitchen Lino at the bottom corner of the door, again this was a familiar sound I'd often heard. We both heard that sound although the kitchen door didn't open, then it got proper scary. The cupboard doors in the kitchen began banging loudly, not just a noise that you would have to listen to a few times to try work out what was happening but full on slamming. At this point and without saying a word my friend bolted, he ran over to the living room door, out into the hall and opened the front door. I followed him and refused to look to my left into the kitchen as I heard another familiar noise of the plastic beaker of various hairbrushes and combs get knocked to the floor and scatter across the Lino. I'm not sure how but the dog actually beat both of us onto the street. My friend went straight home leaving me outside with the dog until he rest of my family returned from their evening out. Thankfully they weren't late arriving home (I knew they wouldn't be as my grandmother was with them) I watched them drive passed and I followed them in a few minutes later making out I'd taken the dog for a walk. My mother asked me why I hadn't picked up the hairbrushes off the kitchen floor. To my knowledge that was the only physical thing that had happened that night and my friend would never discuss the incident with me and I never mentioned the incident to my parents.

#2    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,457 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for sharing.Do you think it was Gramps, despite what your Religion would have you believe?

Posted Image
Three lectures...View and share.
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

#3    Badger75

Badger75

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'm actually a none believer, Roman Catholicism was forced on me, my grandfather died in the house, he passed away from cancer (I've another story about that if you're interested) but I see no reason for him to scare the bejesus out of me, he could have just appeared and said hello!

#4    spacelizard667

spacelizard667

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• What is the more fun, inviting a wolf to dinner or having a tiger by it's tail ?

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Were you ever able to distinguish who was singing in the background when you were on the phone with your
friend ?  Did you at all recognize the words or melody of the singing ?

I agree that if it was your grandfather's ghost he wouldn't want to scare you.

Edited by spacelizard667, 06 January 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#5    Badger75

Badger75

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

No I never did, the singing was so low I couldn't distinguish anything at the time and with what happened afterwards the singing didn't seem important. To me it sounded like a choir but my friend (while hearing it on the phone) thought it was by brother singing in the bath! Like I say, very strange experience and although I've had a few more nothing has come close to this.

#6    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,457 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

View PostBadger75, on 05 January 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

I'm actually a none believer, Roman Catholicism was forced on me, my grandfather died in the house, he passed away from cancer (I've another story about that if you're interested) but I see no reason for him to scare the bejesus out of me, he could have just appeared and said hello!

What makes you think if it was a Ghost, that it knew that you were there.Sounds like something going from casual then onto frustration with no thought of you.Sounds like there is more to this story to me.

Posted Image
Three lectures...View and share.
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

#7    Badger75

Badger75

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

I've no idea what it was, all I know is there was no one in the house at the time and the sounds I heard were familiar sounds that were unmistakable to me at that time. (Apart from the singing at the start of the incident) when I have a bit more time (hopefully later) I'll relay the story of when my grandfather passed away in the house a few years earlier. Not really a ghost story as such but an interesting one all the same.

#8    Badger75

Badger75

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

In 1969 my grandfather passed away with lung cancer, he had been ill for some time and he was basically sent home to die. As I said previously he lived with us and a bed was made up in the back room. He had oxygen and was on morphine towards the end of his life and would lay in bed talking to friends and family who had passed on telling them that he wasn't ready to go yet. My three year old sister had developed Scarlet fever and was in the front room running a high temperature, so high in fact she had swallowed her tongue and the doctor who had been called out to see her was in two minds whether to sent her into hospital. This was tea time Friday evening. The doctor said he would go and see how my grandfather was while he was at the house and went into the back room and checked him out. He then told my mother that he was very weak and to expect the worse any time soon. He also made a comment suggesting that once my grandfather had passed on my sister would improve. He said he had seen it numerous times when an elderly family member was near to death a younger family member would also become ill but would get better almost immediately. ( I wonder if any of the older generation who frequent this board have heard anything similar?)
It was decided that my mother would go to bed that evening and my grandmother would stay awake to attend to my grandfather and if he lasted the night my mother would take over in the morning so my grandmother could get some rest. My brother and I were woken early Saturday morning, sent in to see my grandfather (obviously to say our goodbyes for the last time) and were then shipped out to my mothers friend who lived a number of doors away.
My grandmother went to bed, my father was at work and my mother spent time between checking on my sister in the front room and caring for my grandfather in the back room.
Some time after mid day my mother heard my grandfather call out in pain, she rushed to his side and held his hand and he squeezed it. As his grip began to loosen my sister screamed, my mother rushed to my sister who was sitting up crying and frightened. She asked her what the matter was and my three year old sister replied "I saw a skeleton and heard a voice saying "goodbye S...."" (I won't say her name.)
My mother returned to my grandfather and he was dead.
By brother and I were brought back home a couple of hours later after the body was removed from the house and my sister was well enough to be sitting up and eating with no temperature at all.

My own view is that in times of great stress or pain or pleasure electrical impulses are sent out and can potentially be detected, as in people say they walk into a room and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. I believe that at the exact time of my grandfathers death my sister picked up on these impulses and recognised what they were. A three year olds interpretation of death was the skeleton.

#9    Stubbly_Dooright

Stubbly_Dooright

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 2,503 posts

• It just goes to show
    And that's the truth,
    That no matter where you go
    there you are!........
    .............. wait! Where am I?

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostBadger75, on 08 January 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

I've no idea what it was, all I know is there was no one in the house at the time and the sounds I heard were familiar sounds that were unmistakable to me at that time.
I know what you mean. At a particular mall bookstore in New Jersey, a coworker and I heard what was familiar sounds of boots walking on the ground, and they sounded like they came into the store, walked past us behind the counter and to the back of the store. We didn't see anyone, but the sounds of boots stamping on ground right in front of you, is unmistakable. My coworker was like, with wide eyes, 'did it sound like someone just walked into here?" I'm like, yup.

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
If you wont talk to your cat about catnip......who will?
Introverts unite! But only on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users