Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Battlefields Under Threat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

The battlefields of Towton and Tewkesbury, which were critical moments during England’s Wars of the Roses, are both facing threats that could limit access to them by the public.
Part of the site of the Battle of Towton could be turned into a Traveller’s site if local authorities approve of a measure later this week. Selby District Council is meeting on January 8th to vote on whether or not to approve the construction of a Traveller’s site in an area known as the Gallops. This area is scheduled to be part of the new Towton battlefield boundary, but that change will not be implemented before the spring.
The Towton Battlefield Society and others have raised objections to allowing part of this heritage site, which in 1461 saw over 50,000 men fight over the control of England.

Jamie Adair, writing on her HistoryGot.com website, explains, “Towton is not only a battlefield location, it’s also a mass gravesite for approximately 50,000 people and a source of rich archeological evidence. Respect for the people who died at the site, regardless of how vainglorious the reason, is one reason not to allow construction on Towton.”

Link: http://www.medievali...s-battlefields/

I was really surprised to read this! Considering the rich archeological evidence at both sites. I hope reason prevails and the sites are left alone.....

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,434 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:55 PM

People just don't give a flying rat's patoot about anything anymore. Nothing. Makes me sick.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 07 January 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

People just don't give a flying rat's patoot about anything anymore. Nothing. Makes me sick.

They actually found a mass grave at Towton not that long ago. Could be more people buried out there.....

#4    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,434 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Of course there are people buried out there. It was a battlefield ffs. Not all dead get carried away for a nice tidy burial. But do these people care? Noooooooooooooo!!!

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#5    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

But that being said, everyspot could be claimed an archeological field - where do we draw the line? land is a limited commodity. Not saying this piece should be developed...but... sooner or later i'm sure it will be for better or worse.

#6    woodsbooger

woodsbooger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• The most happy.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

Oh no!!! I would hate to see such an important part of history destroyed!

“In other centuries, human beings wanted to be saved, or improved, or freed, or educated. But in our century, they want to be entertained. The great fear is not of disease or death, but of boredom. A sense of time on our hands, a sense of nothing to do. A sense that we are not amused.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users