Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Samuel Colt: The Colt

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Is the legend of this gun real? Is this gun actually based on an real legend, an real legend steeped in rumors back in the Wild West? If so, is it possible that there is actually an real Colt that doesn't do what the legend says, but it is real object that was used to bolster Samuel Colt's legacy? This made users of the Colt feel that they don't have to worry about demons, ghosts, and other mythological creatures out there.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 09 January 2014 - 03:21 PM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#2    Scandal

Scandal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

Damn it sure would be cool if it were real but I do see the power that some one would feel holding it in there hands,Invincible.

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,571 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

I'm pretty sure it was just a marketing ploy... After all, it's hard to prove that you've killed something that is insubstantial...

#4    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• 1,199 posts

• http://shadowquesters.proboards.com

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

While Samuel Colt did invent many unique guns there is not records or mythology about him designing a demon killing weapon prior to its appearance on Supernatural. While the writers on the show do use a lot of real world legends and mythology this particular Dues ex Machina appears to be completely fabricated.

"Science fails to recognize the single most potent element of human existence, Spirit moves through all things." SOAD

Posted Image

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,184 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

I've never heard that before.  The marketing campian was 'the gun that won the west' right?

#6    msmike1

msmike1

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Sam Colt was a very inventive guy. Yes he was innovative in the realm of firearms, but where he really shined was in marketing. He pulled all sorts of stunts to market his firearms. Was known to give guns as bribes to get good press and really no telling how many rumors were started by Mr. Colt himself. "the gun that won the west" title is generally in reference to the Winchester's line of early rifles, namely the 1873 and latter. John Browning designed most of those rifles and was a much more innovative gun designer than Sam Colt ever thought about being.

Mike

#7    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

CaitSith, on 09 January 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

While Samuel Colt did invent many unique guns there is not records or mythology about him designing a demon killing weapon prior to its appearance on Supernatural. While the writers on the show do use a lot of real world legends and mythology this particular Dues ex Machina appears to be completely fabricated.

Yeah, I thought Colt's magic gun was a fabrication of the TV show as well.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#8    Dougward5

Dougward5

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• " silver bullets ain't cheap"
    www.realwerewolfhunters.com

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

I would suppose if you actually needed one and wanted to subscribe to the mythos you could bless your weapon of choice on an altar to St. Hubert...
Our team has a seiga 12 ...kriss super v..an Ar 10 ..and a couple standard ak type rifles we had that done with. . Just for giggles of course. ..no such thing as monsters...

#9    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,601 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

I was just wondering if this was an real legend or an marketing ploy by Samuel Colt to sell his guns. Either way, I would like to know the origin unless this is just fabricated legend geared towards Supernatural. I like reading about so called mythical artifacts weapons that have been blessed, the legends of them are usually good stories like Excalibur or other mythical weaponry.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#10    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:30 AM

Wasn't it the first replaceable cartridge revolver? It could shoot and shoot and shoot  and shoot and shoot and shoot. You could do some surmountable damage and quickly. I can see some users bragging about it, " I even shot the dead guy's (I killed) ghost!"

Supernatural? Nope x6

Edited by QuiteContrary, 10 January 2014 - 01:32 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#11    Sakari

Sakari

Rob Lester

• 14,459 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

Love it.
The more I read, the more I see.....

Back when I was going to School, and even my son, our education came from Schools, books, etc.

I am 100% convinced the last 10 years ( at least ) education comes from television. Fictional shows or not, it seems not to matter.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#12    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• 1,199 posts

• http://shadowquesters.proboards.com

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

No Magic Colt, but how about a Haunted Remington? Closest I could find to a supernatural fire arm.

From the collection of Dolph McCleish of Monroe, Louisiana who has been a lifelong passionate collector of firearms with particular interest in Remington. His historic Remington Model 8 rifle had been used by Deputy Prentiss Oakley in the ambush of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow. Oakley, a superb marksman, used this rifle to shoot Clyde Barrow, and it is believed he also shot Bonnie Parker. The gun had carried a presale estimate of $50,000-150,000 and sold for $69,000. When consigning the gun, Dolph had related that an old and great personal friend of his had passed away many years ago and in his will left the gun to him, knowing that he had admired it so much. The widow, in presenting the gun had explained to Dolph that the gun was "haunted" and would shoot by itself. Dolph is an ardent shooter, and shortly after getting the gun, one day decided to take it out and shoot. After loading it, the gun automatically fired by itself and scared him enough so that he put it in his gun room and vowed never to shoot it again. Within a week or so, a relative of his recently departed friend showed up at the door demanding that the rifle should have been given to him, and Dolph, not wishing hard feelings, simply gave the gun up, but two weeks later the relative came back and decided that Dolph should have the gun. Dolph always suspected that the relative had experienced the same mysterious automatic firing of the gun that Dolph had. Nonetheless, Dolph went back to the widow and paid what he felt was a fair price for the gun to avoid any further complications. The gun was one of Dolph's earlier acquisitions,
and it had always been a great source of pride for him and was the subject of numerous magazine articles.

Edited by CaitSith, 10 January 2014 - 03:47 AM.

"Science fails to recognize the single most potent element of human existence, Spirit moves through all things." SOAD

Posted Image

#13    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:20 AM

When I was in Nam I carried Colt M1911A1 .45 ACP side arm. Designed by the greatest designer of firearms in the world. God bless the name of John Moses Browning.

#14    AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker

I'm not a Mutant.

• 1,734 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Maybe that's the gun they used to kill the bigfoot in that other thread?

#15    emberdawn

emberdawn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

You might try the official fan site for supernatural you might find the info you are looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users