Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

E.U. Panel Invites Snowden to Testify

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

NY Times said:

PARIS — A European Parliament committee has invited Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor who has leaked classified government documents and is now in hiding in Russia, to testify via video link as part of an investigation into how to protect the privacy of European citizens.

The Parliament’s Justice and Civil Liberties Committee voted 36-2 with one abstention on Thursday to seek testimony from Mr. Snowden, whose exposures of the reach of surveillance activities by the United States on even its closest allies has raised global awareness about privacy issues and deeply embarrassed the Obama administration. Mr. Snowden has become a hero among civil liberty advocates in both Europe and the United States.

However, some dissenting voices in the Parliament tried to block the invitation, with some conservative members calling Mr. Snowden a scourge who had put national security at risk and others warning that inviting him could undermine Europe’s relations with the United States.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,267 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

It's a trap!! the NSA will put a trace on him! Don't do it Ed!!

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,660 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

He should turn them down.  Not for the above reason.

Edited by OverSword, 09 January 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#4    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,140 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostOverSword, on 09 January 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

He should turn them down.  Not for the above reason.

Why should he?

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#5    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

View PostColonel Rhubarb, on 09 January 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

It's a trap!! the NSA will put a trace on him! Don't do it Ed!!

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that's all it is.

#6    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,660 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 09 January 2014 - 09:01 PM, said:

Why should he?
He accomplished his goal by awakening the American people to what was going on.  Time now to be obscure.

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostOverSword, on 10 January 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

He accomplished his goal by awakening the American people to what was going on.  Time now to be obscure.

So far he can't afford to go obscure, 'cause if he does the week after he will be sitting in Leavenworth (if he is that lucky). His only chance of survival is to keep in the limelight. Unless of course some people swallow their pride and offer him a nice retirement in the US for telling them who knows what by now.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,201 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Has any good come from Snowden's actions? so far the only thing he has done is put us at risk, day after day the security services keep us safe. Snowden has made their job harder, and what for? just so people who love a good conspiracy can have a moment in the sun. trouble is after a few weeks this sun sets, and they go on about their business, oblivious, as Snowden fades from the memory - yet the damage has been done, and the long term and ever on going job of security of the Nation continues. but why should they care they've fulfilled their incessant need to be privy to sensitive information state secrets, even though knowing hasnt changed their day to day life one iota. but at least they can say aaaaahh.  

Snowden should be handed over, and face the music, have his day in court and take what comes his wayThe ability to accept responsibility is the measure of the man. but with no moral backbone he cowers in some airport departure lounge in countries who have a long history of being enemies of the West. yes some people are backing a real winner.

Edited by stevewinn, 10 January 2014 - 05:48 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 10 January 2014 - 05:44 PM, said:

Has any good come from Snowden's actions? so far the only thing he has done is put us at risk, day after day the security services keep us safe. Snowden has made their job harder, and what for? just so people who love a good conspiracy can have a moment in the sun. trouble is after a few weeks this sun sets, and they go on about their business, oblivious, as Snowden fades from the memory - yet the damage has been done, and the long term and ever on going job of security of the Nation continues. but why should they care they've fulfilled their incessant need to be privy to sensitive information state secrets, even though knowing hasnt changed their day to day life one iota. but at least they can say aaaaahh.  

Snowden should be handed over, and face the music, have his day in court and take what comes his way. The ability to accept responsibility is the measure of the man. but with no moral backbone he cowers in some airport departure lounge in countries who have a long history of being enemies of the West. yes some people are backing a real winner.

If you don't have a problem with your government spying on you (as preventive measure) and to treat you as potential terrorist Snowden has done nothing good.

Edited by questionmark, 10 January 2014 - 05:47 PM.

about me

#10    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,359 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 January 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

If you don't have a problem with your government spying on you (as preventive measure) and to treat you as potential terrorist Snowden has done nothing good.

What I do have a problem with is the idea that a government should not keep an eye on it's citizens and just hope everything goes ok.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 10 January 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

What I do have a problem with is the idea that a government should not keep an eye on it's citizens and just hope everything goes ok.

See, that is the difference between those who like liberty and those who want a nanny state.

about me

#12    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,359 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 January 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

See, that is the difference between those who like liberty and those who want a nanny state.

"Those who like liberty and those who want a nanny state"....lol...i'd expect that kind of simplistic answer from a 12yr old, not you. So you think liberty is sustainable with no checks and balances on those within it's borders, interesting.......i'd suggest your 'liberty' would be short lived with such a naive approach.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 10 January 2014 - 06:19 PM, said:

"Those who like liberty and those who want a nanny state"....lol...i'd expect that kind of simplistic answer from a 12yr old, not you. So you think liberty is sustainable with no checks and balances on those within it's borders, interesting.......i'd suggest your 'liberty' would be short lived with such a naive approach.

Checks and balances are not supposing that everybody is guilty unless otherwise proven. And that is the supposition when the government installs supervising items within your private sphere.

about me

#14    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,359 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 January 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Checks and balances are not supposing that everybody is guilty unless otherwise proven. And that is the supposition when the government installs supervising items within your private sphere.

Utter rubbish - the movement of info through the means of technology has never been a private sphere, what on earth gives you the idea that it is and should be your own private sphere?

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,038 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 10 January 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

Utter rubbish - the movement of info through the means of technology has never been a private sphere, what on earth gives you the idea that it is and should be your own private sphere?

So that telephone and e-mail control by the NSA is not? We are not talking about a few video cameras here, we are talking about monitoring all electronic communications and keeping phone data of people whether they have done something or not for large periods of time.

Before you scream utter rubbish inform yourself about what is actually going on... unless you are trying to obfuscate the whole thing here.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users