Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 3 votes

West Virginia Chemical Spill

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

YOUR FAVORITE GIRL!

• 8,732 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

Officials Warn Residents Not To Use WV American Water Following Chemical Leak
Posted Image
Reported: Jan. 9, 2014 1:21 PM EST
Updated: Jan. 10, 2014 8:19 AM EST

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (Heath Harrison, Kallie Cart, Rick Lord) – Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declared a state of emergency Thursday and residents in eight West Virginia counties were told not to use their water due to a chemical leak.

West Virginia American Water has issued a public notice for their customers to not use their water, and the notice has now expanded to eight counties.

Kanawha, Boone, Putnam, Lincoln, Logan, Clay, Roane and Jackson counties were affected. The Culloden area of Cabell County was also also affected.

Article

--
Can't believe there isn't a topic about this. I just saw this bit from my friend who gave people an update:

As someone who does live in WV, I’d like to update this. The spill was in Charleston so this only applies to the southern counties.
More specifically: Boone, Cabell, Clay, Jackson, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Putnam and Roane counties
Also, the Walmarts and other stores there are being major butts* and have jacked up the price of bottled water to like $70. It’s absurd.

Oh Walmart. You can't help people couldn't you?

* Replaced with another word.

Edited by Princess Serenity, 11 January 2014 - 01:11 AM.

Posted Image

#2    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:20 AM

They actually havent jacked their prices.  and ultimately this wont be a big deal.

the chemical compound isnt toxic.  they're just being cautious.

I live here.  We like to have a mass panic every year or so

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#3    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Poltergeist

• 2,238 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

Yeah, it's a MESS over here. People are rushing all over the place to find bottled water. Luckily, I haven't had to go out because my parents prepare for stuff like this. The power goes out easily in this house, and when that happens we don't get water. I have friends who live near the place where the chemical leak occurred, and they've suddenly become ill. 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol is the name of the chemical I think.

And no offense, but your friend must be exaggerating. I called my friend up, and he works at a Wal-Mart. He says the price only went up to $6. the price of water is the same as it is everywhere else. It wouldn't look good on them if they were charging that much for bottled water. I HAVE seen people selling packs of water for $15-20 in areas where water is sold out. That's cold.

Edited by UFO_Monster, 11 January 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#4    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

No water?  I go on the neat whiskey when that happens over here.  (jokin)

Stay safe, pilgrims!

#5    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

YOUR FAVORITE GIRL!

• 8,732 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

I doubt my friend's lying because she isn't the one to lie. I believe her. I told dad about it and he said the manager would be looking for a new job when the corporate office finds out.

Posted Image

#6    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

Even if they did jack up the prices, you cant go a 1/4 mile without places handing out free water.

Although, again.  The prices haven't been jacked.  I just went and bought a few cases and the prices are unchanged.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#7    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,208 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

View PostUFO_Monster, on 11 January 2014 - 01:27 AM, said:

I HAVE seen people selling packs of water for $15-20 in areas where water is sold out. That's cold.

No, that is capitalism.

#8    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Interesting I have family in Clay. Maybe I could give em a call to get another inside scoop on it

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#9    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

Well I live in Charleston.  They are slowly opening up useage and allowing people to flush their internal plumbing lines and water heaters.  Right now, it's just the central downtown area but hopefully it will expand quickly.

The chemical isn't toxic...it can cause skin irritation, possibly vomiting and diarhea if ingested.

It's been a hassle the last few days but folks will survive and be fine...we are Mountaineers after all...

Edited by Jeremiah65, 13 January 2014 - 10:27 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,979 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

One day something may be dumped in our water supply that is toxic then what are we going to do.  I think some companies should not be allowed to operate so close to our rivers and streams or do anything to poison our underground water like fracking.

#11    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Im no expert on this but I always assumed that we had a purification facility to clean the water before it got pumped to people? Or maybe that's only in some places. Im pretty sure where I grew up it was like that.

But shouldn't the water get purified then like before people drink from their sink?

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#12    Astral Hillbilly

Astral Hillbilly

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

• Pain is inevitable....Suffering is optional !

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostPrincess Serenity, on 12 January 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

I doubt my friend's lying because she isn't the one to lie. I believe her. I told dad about it and he said the manager would be looking for a new job when the corporate office finds out.

That's probably true, because the WV attorney general has already warned businesses against price-gouging.

#13    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,246 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Here's an update on the water situation from ABC: http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=21512649
The ban was lifted yesterday according to the report.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#14    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

View Postrashore, on 14 January 2014 - 07:47 PM, said:

Here's an update on the water situation from ABC: http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=21512649
The ban was lifted yesterday according to the report.

It is lifted in some places.  I live up on top of a mountain over the city and we are still under the ban as of 6:00 am this morning...

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#15    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Poltergeist

• 2,238 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:28 AM

The water is still not safe to drink, even in declared "safe zones."

http://www.cnn.com/v...-water.cnn.html

Not that I needed this video to tell me that. It just confirms what I already know. Last night a heavy, light brown liquid poured out of my shower head. Luckily I did not hop in before I caught that.  :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users