Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * - - - 3 votes

[Merged] Skycentrism: Binocular Effect

skycentrism

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
140 replies to this topic

#1    skycentrism

skycentrism

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

enable annotations.



Edited by skycentrism, 11 January 2014 - 10:35 AM.


#2    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,301 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

No evidence or reason is given for these objects being impossible to see.

The horizon is where the sky appears to meet the ground or water, objects can still be seen beyond the horizon.

http://mintaka.sdsu....fr/horizon.html


#3    skycentrism

skycentrism

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 11 January 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

No evidence or reason is given for these objects being impossible to see.

The horizon is where the sky appears to meet the ground or water, objects can still be seen beyond the horizon.

http://mintaka.sdsu....fr/horizon.html

Downwards refraction ? Unfortunately light bends up. You can even check it on your own.


#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,301 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

View Postskycentrism, on 11 January 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

Downwards refraction ? Unfortunately light bends up. You can even check it on your own.
Seems like you're wrong.

http://ffden-2.phys....encer/ref3.html


#5    skycentrism

skycentrism

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 11 January 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Seems like you're wrong.

http://ffden-2.phys....encer/ref3.html

Laser is not a sunray and water is not the atmosphere. See these:





#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,301 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Australia

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

View Postskycentrism, on 11 January 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Laser is not a sunray and water is not the atmosphere. See these:
Nice try, you're going to dodge now? You said light bends up, I showed it doesn't always. Now you're giving me bull**** videos?


#7    skycentrism

skycentrism

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 11 January 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Nice try, you're going to dodge now? You said light bends up, I showed it doesn't always. Now you're giving me bull**** videos?

What do you mean doesn't always ? The light follows the curvature of Earth or bends against it. I'm telling you it bends up and you can check it on your own.


#8    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

    Just a contributor..

  • Member
  • 4,983 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast (Qld, Australia)

  • I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

How about explaining in your own words what your conspiracy claim is?  Some of us have to pay quite a lot for bandwidth .. and this being a discussion forum and all... it's just politeness.

Arguing by youtube is the absolute lowest form of debate...

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#9    skycentrism

skycentrism

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostChrLzs, on 11 January 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

How about explaining in your own words what your conspiracy claim is?  Some of us have to pay quite a lot for bandwidth .. and this being a discussion forum and all... it's just politeness.

Arguing by youtube is the absolute lowest form of debate...

My previous thread was locked. Supposedly for impolite atmosphere. I don't think so. I was just continuously attacked and simply tried to defend myself.
What should happen with center of the image after optical zooming ? Should it move in some direction or remain just where it was ?


#10    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

    Just a contributor..

  • Member
  • 4,983 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gold Coast (Qld, Australia)

  • I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

View Postskycentrism, on 11 January 2014 - 11:32 AM, said:

My previous thread was locked. Supposedly for impolite atmosphere. I don't think so. I was just continuously attacked and simply tried to defend myself.
What should happen with center of the image after optical zooming ? Should it move in some direction or remain just where it was ?
Well, I'd have to say if that question is your conspiracy, then perhaps it is no wonder what happened..
"What should happen with center of image after optical zooming?"  ??  Without qualifying why you are asking, that is either blindingly simple or very, very complex.

Given you have not specified any assumptions whatsoever, then here's my qualified answer...

ASSUMING that we are talking about a theoretical and 'perfect' lens, an unmoving camera/lens, an unmoving object and no atmospheric effects, then the center (central area??) of the image (will be larger and) remain in the optical centre of the image frame.

Surely that is self-evident?  If you have some other point you were trying to make, then I suggest you think a bit more carefully about how to ask the question, and perhaps make your point up front.

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#11    skycentrism

skycentrism

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostChrLzs, on 11 January 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

Well, I'd have to say if that question is your conspiracy, then perhaps it is no wonder what happened..
"What should happen with center of image after optical zooming?"  ??  Without qualifying why you are asking, that is either blindingly simple or very, very complex.

Given you have not specified any assumptions whatsoever, then here's my qualified answer...

ASSUMING that we are talking about a theoretical and 'perfect' lens, an unmoving camera/lens, an unmoving object and no atmospheric effects, then the center (central area??) of the image (will be larger and) remain in the optical centre of the image frame.

Surely that is self-evident?  If you have some other point you were trying to make, then I suggest you think a bit more carefully about how to ask the question, and perhaps make your point up front.

Atmospheric effects have nothing to do with this. If the camera is working fine then the center should remain where it was. Officially it's enlarging the object with optical zoom, as you said, I will refer to this later.
What if the camera/camcorder is 1.leveled with a libella and 2.not leveled but simply put on a tripod. How will the center of the image behave ? Does it have a meaning at all whether it's leveled or not ? In both cases it's still in a solid position so it's not about moving the camera or not BUT maintaining the level.


#12    skycentrism

skycentrism

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

http://photo.net/cas...ns-forum/00cDUx

They came up with different things like..the effect of gravity for example. But it's not the case. Read the above link please.


#13    skycentrism

skycentrism

    Alien Embryo

  • Banned
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2013
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

The light bending problem applies to levelers as well. Posted Image


#14    stereologist

stereologist

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,046 posts
  • Joined:08 Sep 2009
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Light does not bend. It travels in a straight line unless it interacts with matter.

The video simply shows that it is possible to see objects that extend above the horizon. Whoopee doo. My kids figured this out when they were under the age of 5.


#15    stereologist

stereologist

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,046 posts
  • Joined:08 Sep 2009
  • Gender:Male

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

This sort of reminds me of people that think radio waves curve around the Earth. They travel in straight lines as well.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users