Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Dragons

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    KaysonMire

KaysonMire

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

• "I didn't keep you here for my benefit. I kept you here for yours." - Joey R. "Fogged Visions"

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

Dragons aren't well known creatures to me, and yet here I am, writing about them.
I don't know a lot about their legends, where they come up in mythology.
I'm not looking into Chinese dragons, but it's European dragons I'm looking into.
also, what do you guys think about dragons, and what would they look like exactly?

"The sun never stops shining, Sabrina, just as our flames never die out." Keith had said to me softly.
"Even if it rains?" I asked, gazing into his eyes with a smirk on my lips.
"The sun's still above those clouds, Sabrina." He chuckled, shaking his head with amusement.
"Then let's find those sunny skies above us."

#2    emberdawn

emberdawn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

Anne McCaffrey's type of dragons. From the series Dragon Riders of Pern.

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

They look like whatever the artist says.

I like dragons so in my mind their species are as varied as birds and insects. Meaning their bodies can have such a myriad of shapes and colors.

And yes, I know they are not real.

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

The European dragons classically have wings and four legs. Some heraldric dragons do have 2 wings and 2 legs, but those are more correctly called wyverns, which are a small type of dragon. The classic version would have been too big to fly. I think the legend started with crocodiles and pythons and evolved over the centuries from there.

The Norse dragons don't have wings, and many don't even have legs. Most live in the water and probably are legends derived from whales.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    SpiritTraveler

SpiritTraveler

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

• "Everything is relative" - Elbert Einstein

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

View Postemberdawn, on 14 January 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

Anne McCaffrey's type of dragons. From the series Dragon Riders of Pern.

Oh yes! I love that series. Read it twice and thinking about it again since it's been awhile. Kept all the books. I love her descriptions of the dragons and their riders all dressed in their leathers. She makes me want to ride one. Giddy-up, swoosh, blink, lol

Edited by SpiritTraveler, 14 January 2014 - 07:49 AM.

Posted Image

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Yeah... Until you get hit by a piece of Thread!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

There used to be a member here, I thought his name was Draconic Chronicler.... he argued that dragons were real and was peddling an upcoming book.  I can't find this member now :/

Edit to add: yep, his name was 'draconic chronicler'.  He's banned now, so you aren't able to check his content.... just have to put his name in the search bar and sift through the results.

Edited by green_dude777, 14 January 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#8    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 14 January 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

There used to be a member here, I thought his name was Draconic Chronicler.... he argued that dragons were real and was peddling an upcoming book.  I can't find this member now :/

LOL, when I saw the thread title I immediately thought of that guy.  :tu:

#9    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Dragons of European folklore and mythology were usually serpentine with two pairs of legs and a pair of wings, often portrayed as evil, and hoarding gold and treasure in some cavern or underground cave.  Often the blood of a dragon was said to have magical properties.

A few other dragon-like creatures were the wyvern, which only had a single pair of legs and a pair of wings, could breath fire or deliver venom with its bite.  There were also the lindworms (or linnorms, lindorms) which I believe were from Scandinavian folklore and were usually interchangeable with dragons.  They differed in that they had no wings and only a single pair of legs.  Like the wyvern, they sometimes could deliver venom with their bite.

Some dragons and dragon-like creatures from European folklore are;
  • Nidhogg from Norse mythology, who gnaws at the roots of Yggdrasil, the World tree.
  • Jormungand, also known as the Midgard Serpent, also from Norse mythology.
  • The dragon that Beowulf fights, from the Anglo-Saxon poem.
  • The dragon from Saint George and the Dragon.
I might be able to find some titles of mythology and folklore research later.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,188 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

And, of course, Smaug in the Hobbit, who is based very closely on dragons of lore because Tolkien was a history buff.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#11    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,090 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 15 January 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

And, of course, Smaug in the Hobbit, who is based very closely on dragons of lore because Tolkien was a history buff.
the hobbit is based on a true story.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 14 January 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

Edit to add: yep, his name was 'draconic chronicler'.  He's banned now, so you aren't able to check his content.... just have to put his name in the search bar and sift through the results.

He was Krazed. He was convinced that God and His angels were all Dragons. That the seraphim and cherubim are fire breathing dragons. That was like 4 or 5 years ago I think. I wonder if that book ever came out?

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

Chinese and Vietnamese dragons are noisy creatures but quite useful to have around if you are bothered by ghosts.  Until recently I'd never seen them breath fire but now that has caught on, no doubt from Western movies.

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,166 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Can anyone tell us why the Welsh Flag has a red Dragon on it.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    Dougward5

Dougward5

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• " silver bullets ain't cheap"
    www.realwerewolfhunters.com

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

@ spud because a pink one would just be silly

0 user(s) are reading this topic