Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mass whale stranding on New Zealand coast

farewell spit whale stranding new zealand pilot whales

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,577 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

At least 13 pilot whales were beached Tuesday on a remote New Zealand coastline and conservation officials were desperately battling to prevent another 50 from reaching the shore.

It is the second mass stranding in a week at the remote Farewell Spit, at the top of the South Island, which has become notorious as a whale graveyard.

http://uk.news.yahoo...11.html#eKug5rT

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,770 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Maybe the Japanese can "study" them?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,577 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

After repeated failed attempts to shepherd out to sea eight pilot whales stranded on a remote beach, where five others had died, conservationists decide to humanely euthanise them to relieve suffering.

http://www.telegraph...ew-Zealand.html

Sad :(

Posted Image

#4    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,863 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:37 AM

Now they can sell the meat to Japan for more culinary research.

Most notable among the findings: "Does eating euthanized whale meat make you feel sleepy?"

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users