Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why do we live longer than other mammals ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Scientists believe that our slow metabolic rate is the key to explaining our relative longevity.

According to a new study, humans and other primates such as chimpanzees burn calories at a rate that is only half that of other mammals. This fact is believed to explain why we live a lot longer and grow up more slowly.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...n-other-mammals

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,269 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

Actually, bowhead whales are the longest living mammals. They can live up to 200 years.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostLilly, on 16 January 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Actually, bowhead whales are the longest living mammals. They can live up to 200 years.

The Bible says the people of old times lived to 1000 years.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,269 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostAshiene, on 16 January 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

The Bible says the people of old times lived to 1000 years.

The problem with that is we have no idea how ancient people's idea of time was measured. Add that to the fact that the Bible is scripture (not scientific).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#5    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

It would seem that if we burn calories at a slower rate then we shouldn't need to eat so often as we are currently being programmed to do.

Also we shouldn't need such a huge amount of daily calories just to stay alive (as we are commonly told)
But I would think nutrition, hygiene and better environments do a great deal too.

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

When I read that article on why primates live longer (slower metabolism) it struck me that that might explain why calorie deprivation, which slows metabolism, lengthens mouse lifespans but doesn't seem to work with us.  We've already evolved it.

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,028 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostRyu, on 16 January 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

It would seem that if we burn calories at a slower rate then we shouldn't need to eat so often as we are currently being programmed to do.

Also we shouldn't need such a huge amount of daily calories just to stay alive (as we are commonly told)
But I would think nutrition, hygiene and better environments do a great deal too.

Yeah lets just eat less and sit on our butts so we don't burn any of those pesky unnecessary calories they say we need to live healthy productive lives. Who needs people who do those demanding jobs that require massive amounts of physical exertion and have to have a higher caloric intake to maintain the energy level needed to do so. It's a waste of food.

#8    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostMichelle, on 16 January 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Yeah lets just eat less and sit on our butts so we don't burn any of those pesky unnecessary calories they say we need to live healthy productive lives. Who needs people who do those demanding jobs that require massive amounts of physical exertion and have to have a higher caloric intake to maintain the energy level needed to do so. It's a waste of food.

No need to get snide with me.
For the average joe who doesn't work in construction or farms, I simply think that 1500 to 2000 calories is excessive. If all you do is, as you put it, sit on ones butt, then one doesn't need 2000 or even 1500 calories.

But yes, you are right, we would do well to eat less and not eat at rigid times OR eat strictly three + meals a day unless it is absolutely needed.

Edited by Ryu, 16 January 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,028 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostRyu, on 16 January 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

For the average joe who doesn't work in construction or farms, I simply think that 1500 to 2000 calories is excessive. If all you do is, as you put it, sit on ones butt, then one doesn't need 2000 or even 1500 calories.

But yes, you are right, we would do well to eat less and not eat at rigid times OR eat strictly three + meals a day unless it is absolutely needed.

Honestly, I do think nutritionists should take into consideration everyone is not the same. When I was in the hospital for heart failure they always send a nutritionist in to talk to you about your diet. Most all my life I have been thin, I rarely sit down to a meal and more or less nibble on healthy food...quite the opposite of most people with heart problems. Her recommended diet was almost three times what I would normally eat in a day, even when I was an athlete.

#10    grendals_bane

grendals_bane

Master Procrastinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

• I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned. - Byron

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

This study seems to ignore the fact that most animals that live in captivity generally have a longer lifespan than in the wild. This is mainly due to a lack of predation, a steady food supply and advanced medical techniques. It is basically the same reason human lifespans are generally increasing as we are able to remove many of the threats that a life in the wild entail.

"There is no such thing as good and evil, just various shades of grey."

#11    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Elephants, parrots, and some turtles live 100 years or more.

#12    nec207

nec207

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

View PostRyu, on 16 January 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

If you going to sit on your butt all day !! than really you can do with less than 1,000 and still feel not hungry and be healthy.But in order to live long life you have to starve your self go days with out eating and have no meat because of calorie restriction.

Every time you eat your body release free radicals , this is like pollution and over time damages organs and causes cancer.

#13    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

WE LIVE LONGER THAN MOST BECAUSE...

We wear pants.

We are so fabulous, that other mammals can't handle our fabulosity, and they die, while saying: "Aaaaahhhh...I....*cough*....regret not wearing*COUGH*...p-pants..."

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,106 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:35 AM

#15    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,396 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

We live longer because we have doctors and medinces and we pretty much stay safe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users