Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why so many 'debunkers' here?

ufo debunk non-believers skeptics aliens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1    bendigger0

bendigger0

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

What's up with all the 'debunkers' here?  Isn't this forum for folks who want to positively discuss the reality of ufo's, extra-terrestrials, and related phenomena?

#2    Dumpnuts

Dumpnuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "Absolute Hogwash" ,Jay Utah by care of ChrLzs

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

What's wrong with skeptics? It isn't a very good discussion without different point of views.

"You guys, you gotta make it sexy. Hips and nips! Otherwise I'm not eating."

Rickety Cricket

#3    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,430 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Nah, it's more like wanting to explain unexplained mysteries. That can include looking at all sorts of explanations.

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,056 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

You want to check the join dates of some members...if youre still a member in 2 years time I bet you too will chime in to posts you have previously looked into and learned about. The same old topics  do have a habit of popping up and down again faster than Abi Titmus's knickers

Get rid of the longer serving members and you'll have a rapid decrease in debunkers, but as that wont happen, its just to be lived with. But hey, even debunkers 'discuss' the case to a degree and if you can look at the quality of the info, you'll become a more refined believer, inasmuch as you'll realise how much absolute bunkum there is in ufology and thus you'll look at cases a little more deeply... rather than just accept them at face value

Edited by seeder, 17 January 2014 - 06:04 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,138 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

View Postbendigger0, on 17 January 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

What's up with all the 'debunkers' here?  Isn't this forum for folks who want to positively discuss the reality of ufo's, extra-terrestrials, and related phenomena?
Just talking about it with people who agree with everything you're saying is like playing with your self don't you think?  BTW, there are no ET's visiting the earth.

Edited by OverSword, 17 January 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#6    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Poltergeist

• 2,198 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

It's actually nice to have different opinions every now and then. If everyone were agreeing on things, it would make for boring discussions.

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#7    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

it's for people to discuss these topics yes, but it's not a woo-woo site where everyone just takes another's story at face value and runs with it. in order to properly discuss something of this nature, there must be evidence that holds up to scrutiny.

#8    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

View PostUFO_Monster, on 17 January 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

It's actually nice to have different opinions every now and then. If everyone were agreeing on things, it would make for boring discussions.

I agree.

#9    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,839 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Why so many 'debunkers' here

Because there is much to debunk. 99% of all UFO sighting reports are faked and 98% of the YT UFO clips
are faked or just someting filmed by idiots who are still thinking that the audience has a content of 100% idiots.
So it must be filtered very strictly to get the "real good" UFO reports out of the crap.

Edited by toast, 17 January 2014 - 06:26 PM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#10    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,026 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Nobody gets a free ride here, matey!Posted Image

Edited by ealdwita, 17 January 2014 - 06:35 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#11    Dumpnuts

Dumpnuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "Absolute Hogwash" ,Jay Utah by care of ChrLzs

& sadly it's never big news when a popular sighting becomes utterly debunked. But the world can't shut up about it when they first appear in the media. i.e. disappearing village in China & New York daytime UFO

"You guys, you gotta make it sexy. Hips and nips! Otherwise I'm not eating."

Rickety Cricket

#12    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

If you want participate in discussions about extraterrestrial topics with less skepticism, check out the forums at abovetopsecret.com.

http://www.abovetops...19/pg1/srtpages

There are far more die-hard true believers and no theory is ever completely dismissed there.

#13    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

Several reasons, some bone fide, some certainly not. The majority of debunkers, when it comes to historically proven fact, simply point out that when a poster says that the Earth is flat, they are in fact wrong, but how they say this of course depends on their personality, which leads to the second type of debunker, fewer, but rather loud. Some, who have genuine knowledge, are rather pompous and arrogant and will take any opportunity to show how "wonderful" they are by beating on another poster who says something these "egos" do not like, even if they have made a simple error, they are simply cannon fodder for these inflated egos. The attacked poster may even be right, but this will not do for the egos, as it is they who are right, always! These egos also do not like people to dream, for dreams, fantasies, call them what you like, are alien to the egos, as dreams cannot be measured and cataloged, and dreams do not have "i" to be dotted and "t" to be crossed. Also there is the chaos theory, dreamt up by me only this instance. It is that if anybody posts about ideas or theories that cannot be proved, and such theories go against the dusty and rigid world of the egos, then they fear that the world will dissolve into chaos if any theory, or simple dream, that they do not like, gains any purchase. Some debunkers, just as some who post truely ridiculous fantasies, are here simply to troll to one degree or other, some have been here a surprising amount of time and have high post counts.

Edit to point out that I myself am a skeptic, but not with a closed mind.....

Oh, I forgot about the religious "something or others". Well, the reason for them is, um, well, better leave that I think......

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 17 January 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#14    Hitch22

Hitch22

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

Because being a skeptic/debunker weeds out all the horrible evidence to try and find the truth. I would love to find out that et are visiting earth, but I'm not going to believe it based off grainy video or one mans eye witness testimony. I don't want to have to "believe" it at all. I want to know it, through actual evidence. So we try and get rid of all the chaff. It's that simple. I used to be a believer in all sorts of things, but when I saw the level of "evidence" we actually had, I eventually had to step back and admit that i was being irrational. And that's when I became a skeptic.

And on top of that, what fun is a discussion with only one viewpoint? If you are not being challenged and your beliefs tested, then you have no idea if they are correct. Who in their right mind wants to believe false things?

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,056 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

And some debunkers or skeptics here, were once true believers themselves... they came here to discuss and after MUCH discussion considered that they themselves may have been too enthusiastic...and with a great variety of researched inputs put forth, slowly became cynical of ufology... then skeptical.

Thats always worth bearing in mind.

typo

Edited by seeder, 17 January 2014 - 07:03 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users