Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Worst year ever for SA rhino poaching

white rhino south africa kruger national park poaching

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Worst year ever for SA rhino poaching

www.bbc.co.uk said:

More white rhinos were illegally killed in South Africa in 2013 than in any previous year, according to government figures.

A total of 1,004 animals were poached, representing a 50% increase over the previous 12 months.

Campaigners say that a growing demand for rhino horn from markets in Vietnam and China is fuelling the killing.  

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,099 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

That growing Asian middle-class is going to take our environmental disaster status from orange to red in a very short time :no:
They came into money without coming into the new century...

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#3    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Rhino poachers make me want to go rhino poacher hunting. For being one of the smarter species, we sure can be the dumbest animals on the planet.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#4    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

50% increase?   this makes me suspicious...........   anything of value where these rhinos live?   Perhaps the real estate itself?   Maybe i'm just being paranoid  suspecting some sort of conspiracy in this.     It stinks for whatever  reason.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#5    Sunshine Hoosier

Sunshine Hoosier

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

So sad.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,222 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

View Postlightly, on 18 January 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

anything of value where these rhinos live?   Perhaps the real estate itself?
Yes... THE RHINOS!!!!

It's really not difficult to understand. Rhino horns are valuable. To get the rhino horns you need to kill the rhinos.

There is no need to invent idiotic conspiracy theories about real estate when the truth is so simple to grasp.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 18 January 2014 - 03:20 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,099 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Here's what I don't understand; China has access to the internet. Limited, but they do have access. Living in the "information age", how is it not common knowledge that a densely packed formation of hair won't increase your sexual potency? They aren't exactly living in the dark ages over there and yet the market for trivial animal parts is absolutely massive. I don't understand how an emerging world power is clinging to medical knowledge that has long since been outdated.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users