Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Over 250 Bottlenose Dolphins now in The Cove

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#16    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 35,157 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 21 January 2014 - 07:16 AM, said:

So. They are not endangered, globally, as a species, but some populations are threatened due to environmental changes.

Well, that's a soothing thought.

I have no idea is soothing or not, just the messenger there. I do not agree with Japan's culture at all with regards to sea mammals, I think modern times have made such traditions obsolete but I think aggressive action has only made matters worse.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#17    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 13,215 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

The final tally:

52 dolphins captured, 41 slaughtered

http://www.hlntv.com...-cove-japan-jvm

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#18    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 35,157 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

How come only 41 taken out of 250?

Does that mean 11 Dolphins go to Theme Parks and 41 are eaten?

That honestly does not sound like much of an impact?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#19    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 13,215 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

View Postbeelzebufo, on 21 January 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

I don't see the big deal. Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct, and this hunt is nothing compared to the amount of fish caught every day, many of which are from species that aren't in nearly good of shape as those dolphins.

What about all those sharks that are being killed in Japan just for their fins? How many "activists" do you see defending them? They all just latch onto the cute animals.
This is just another insensitive and even ignorant comment talking about "fish".   Nobody mistakes sharks for being cute; so Sea Shepherd isn't among the "they" included in your rant here.  So don't use that as a false premise and then start talking about "activists".   Caroline Kennedy didn't say anything about the whale poachers 7,000 miles away from Japan in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.   Her problem, like you're referring to here, is strictly bottle-nosed.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#20    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostYamato, on 22 January 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

This is just another insensitive and even ignorant comment talking about "fish".   Nobody mistakes sharks for being cute; so Sea Shepherd isn't among the "they" included in your rant here.  So don't use that as a false premise and then start talking about "activists".   Caroline Kennedy didn't say anything about the whale poachers 7,000 miles away from Japan in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary.   Her problem, like you're referring to here, is strictly bottle-nosed.

I'll admit that I didn't know much at all about Sea Shepherd when I made that comment, so I guess I'm guilty of some ignorance there. My response was hasty and may have been directed at the wrong people.
That said, I am sick of dolphins grabbing the headlines while so many other ocean animals are in much greater danger and are hardly ever even mentioned. I'm not condoning the slaughter of dolphins, but the death of 41 dolphins is just a minor incident compared to what is happening all the time to other, less "cuddly" animals.

I don't have any academic background or qualification or life.
However, I can absorb all substances into the body from my eyes.

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,386 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:46 AM

View PostYamato, on 22 January 2014 - 07:27 AM, said:

The final tally:

52 dolphins captured, 41 slaughtered

http://www.hlntv.com...-cove-japan-jvm

View Postpsyche101, on 22 January 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

How come only 41 taken out of 250?

Does that mean 11 Dolphins go to Theme Parks and 41 are eaten?

That honestly does not sound like much of an impact?

I think he means 93 total. Which still doesn't seem like a lot when they had 250 of them penned up.

I wonder what they taste like? :innocent:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 35,157 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

View Postbeelzebufo, on 23 January 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

I'll admit that I didn't know much at all about Sea Shepherd when I made that comment, so I guess I'm guilty of some ignorance there. My response was hasty and may have been directed at the wrong people.

No.

You are 100% spot on, they are a bunch of Terrorist Pirates that do more damage than good. Been on the water for 35 years, and things are only getting worse. The International Whaling commission themselves have asked them to rack off, but whilst Whale Wars ratings are high, that won't happen.
Sea Shepherd exists because Watson was kicked out of Greenpeace. If Greenpeace was OK with terrorist actions, then he would still be there. He is wanted in several countries for violent crimes committed. Even Interpol has him listed as a criminal, and indeed, he is. By every definition. He hides in international waters, and makes unannounced stop overs to avoid altercations and prison time.
Ask a marine biologist what they think of him.

As for not using False Premise? LOL.

1978: Watson admits to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) programme As It Happens that his work is aimed at raising funds for his organisation, Sea Shepherd.

Watson: “You see, the seal is very easy to exploit as an image. We have posters, we have buttons; we have shirts … all of which portray the head of the baby seal with tears coming out of its eyes. Baby seals are always crying because the salt tears keep their eyes from freezing. But they have this image of ... they are baby animals; they are beautiful. And because of that, coupled with the horror of the sealer hitting them over the head with a club, it is an image which just goes right to the heart of animal lovers all over North America.”

No gimmick there is there......... :innocent:

People wasting money supporting these pirates just don't want to be alone is all, they will do anything for personal validation. Watson's a nasty piece of work, no two ways about it and his followers somewhat blinded. I was too, until I spoke to a couple of marine biologists who really opened up my eyes. Sea Shepherd Supporters do not talk to marine biologists, they just watch the Whale Wars TV show and run with that.
And lets face it, if one is serious about understanding the Oceans, do you go to a Marine Biologist, or some entertainment TV Show?

View Postbeelzebufo, on 23 January 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

That said, I am sick of dolphins grabbing the headlines while so many other ocean animals are in much greater danger and are hardly ever even mentioned. I'm not condoning the slaughter of dolphins, but the death of 41 dolphins is just a minor incident compared to what is happening all the time to other, less "cuddly" animals.

One has to wonder about the initial 250 count? Was it ever that high, or heavily embellished to grab heart strings - like the Tee Shirts they sell noted above?

Exactly right, and Australia is right up there with all the bleeding hearts protesting this very action, I assume that 41 of these Dolphins went to Asian Theme parks, are we Aussie just cheesed off because we don't get a Dolphin too? Many other countries including our close neighbour New Zealand has outlawed Dolphin Parks, but not us here in Australia, but we will tell Aisan Water Parks they cannot have the Dolphins from Taiji. But they are OK with the captive Dolphins in theme parks here.

Sea World here in the Gold Coast performs twice daily with Dolphins. Here is a list of the captive Dolphins that Sea Shepherd does not care about. Some down at Coffs Harbour too. Used to be a couple of display ones in small pools on Hamilton Island too. I am an Aussie, and I say Australian Cetacean management is a joke, and politics associated with Cetacean Management are just fluff and nonsense to grab votes. We have a new Government this year, I have hopes they may attempt to do better than previous debacles.

Maybe they want them to buy them from us, I don't now, but is is highly hypocritical either way.

The Barrier Reef alone is a unique marine structure of life than requires more care than it gets.

Edited by psyche101, 23 January 2014 - 03:32 AM.

#23    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 35,157 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:27 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 23 January 2014 - 12:46 AM, said:

I think he means 93 total. Which still doesn't seem like a lot when they had 250 of them penned up.

I wonder what they taste like? :innocent:

Numbers are all over the place, if that is the case, they say 130 were released (released?) which brings us to 223 Dolphins, indicating the SS had overestimated by more than 12%.

Lots of hype here I would say, but that is absolutely nothing new with the Sea Shepherd.

This link is clearer:

Reportedly, 52 bottlenose dolphins were selected for aquaria, 41 slaughtered, and the rest released.

LINK

Seems a great deal of hype?
I honestly think that Lake Victoria has a far worse problem and as suggested by beelzebufo others are in far greater danger, it strikes me that a Freshwater Lake has less chance of recovery than an open Ocean, and like I said 12-14 tonnes of Nile Perch are removed from their daily! Fish Populations are diminishing, and now Juveniles are the most often caught, it will be over before anyone knows about at, all the while bleating about 41 Dolphins.

Good Old Wikipedia:

Cooked dolphin meat has a flavor very similar to beef liver.[15]

So yuk-bleh.

:tu:

Edited by psyche101, 23 January 2014 - 03:33 AM.

#24    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,386 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 23 January 2014 - 03:27 AM, said:

Numbers are all over the place, if that is the case, they say 130 were released (released?) which brings us to 223 Dolphins, indicating the SS had overestimated by more than 12%.
Maybe 30 of them ate each other? (not seriously)

Cooked dolphin meat has a flavor very similar to beef liver.[15]

So yuk-bleh.

:tu:
Yeah. That doesn't sound so good to me either. :no:

EDIT: I'd have guessed somewhere between a porpoise and a manatee. heh heh

Edited by DieChecker, 23 January 2014 - 03:42 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#25    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 35,157 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 23 January 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

Maybe 30 of them ate each other? (not seriously)

:w00t:

I doubt it - they taste like crap - Beef Liver remember! :lol:

View PostDieChecker, on 23 January 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

Yeah. That doesn't sound so good to me either. :no:

EDIT: I'd have guessed somewhere between a porpoise and a manatee. heh heh

Not big on marine mammal flavour, I would not eat a Manatee on Porpoise.

But I do have a Tee Shirt that says:

I LOVE ANIMALS
THEY TASTE DELCIOUS

#26    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 21,386 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 23 January 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

:w00t:

I doubt it - they taste like crap - Beef Liver remember! :lol:

But I do have a Tee Shirt that says:

I LOVE ANIMALS
THEY TASTE DELCIOUS

My wife always says... If we are not supposed to eat meat, then why is it so delicous?

Edited by DieChecker, 23 January 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#27    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:53 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 23 January 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

No.

You are 100% spot on, they are a bunch of Terrorist Pirates that do more damage than good. Been on the water for 35 years, and things are only getting worse. The International Whaling commission themselves have asked them to rack off, but whilst Whale Wars ratings are high, that won't happen.
Sea Shepherd exists because Watson was kicked out of Greenpeace. If Greenpeace was OK with terrorist actions, then he would still be there. He is wanted in several countries for violent crimes committed. Even Interpol has him listed as a criminal, and indeed, he is. By every definition. He hides in international waters, and makes unannounced stop overs to avoid altercations and prison time.
Ask a marine biologist what they think of him.

Holy crap, I retract my sort-of apology.

Edited by beelzebufo, 23 January 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#28    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,937 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:05 AM

Never mind.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 23 January 2014 - 04:31 AM.

#29    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 35,157 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 23 January 2014 - 03:50 AM, said:

My wife always says... If we are not supposed to eat meat, then why is it so delicous?

She does have a point, but I bet she did not mean Liver too LOL

:D

Edited by psyche101, 23 January 2014 - 04:44 AM.

#30    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 23 January 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

ahaha. I see what you did there...

Edited by beelzebufo, 23 January 2014 - 04:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users