Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Politicians call for return of firing squad

firing squad lethal injections executions pharmaceutical companies death penalty

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,101 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Politicians in two American states have called for the right to carry out executions by firing squad, if they are unable to obtain drugs for lethal injections.

Pharmaceutical companies which oppose the death penalty have stopped producing the necessary chemicals for lethal injections, making it increasingly hard to source the required drugs.

http://www.telegraph...injections.html

Posted Image

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,790 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

Seems more reasonable than the gross10-15 min suffocation moment.

#3    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

why do they need an entire squad?
one well placed bullet to the brain is sufficient

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,790 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

What strikes me is the Warden in question, stated that a death row inmate does not have the right to a painless execution.

#5    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,601 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

Iv always felt a gun shot made so much more sense then lethal injections.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#6    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,601 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

View PostJGirl, on 18 January 2014 - 11:29 PM, said:

why do they need an entire squad?
one well placed bullet to the brain is sufficient

Normally they have an entire squad because only one person has the bullet in his gun. That way no one knows who it was  that killed the person. I guess it helps people not have guilt for killing someone. supposedly

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,816 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

Pharmaceutical companies which oppose the death penalty have stopped producing the necessary chemicals for lethal injections

This week a man from Ohio suffered a long and agonising death when a new chemical was used for the first time - owing to a lack of usual lethal injections.
http://www.telegraph...injections.html

A new chemical? and who supplied that? pharmaceutical companies have never really striked me as a compassionate bunch of folks. If they are not supplying the drug, I would imagine it is more down to a cost thing than down to a caring thing!

Sorry but without knowing what the person on death row did to their victims, then I really can not say if I agree with the prolonged death or not, because some of the...well, 26mins is still far shorter a time of pain than what they put their victims through.
harsh? yeah, I guess so.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:26 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 19 January 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

Normally they have an entire squad because only one person has the bullet in his gun. That way no one knows who it was  that killed the person. I guess it helps people not have guilt for killing someone. supposedly
that's sort of backward then isn't it?it's ok to do it but no one wants the blood on their hands.
i can't say that i agree with the death penalty but if you're going to do it then do it and stop p***ing around about it.
don't keep them alive for twenty some odd years on the tax payer's wallet. just do it.

#9    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,515 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostJGirl, on 19 January 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

...i can't say that i agree with the death penalty but if you're going to do it then do it and stop p***ing around about it.
don't keep them alive for twenty some odd years on the tax payer's wallet. just do it.

This guy and 142 others would have been wrongfully executed though.

http://www.deathpena...riffin-missouri

#10    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 19 January 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

This guy and 142 others would have been wrongfully executed though.

http://www.deathpena...riffin-missouri
yep

#11    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostJGirl, on 19 January 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

that's sort of backward then isn't it?it's ok to do it but no one wants the blood on their hands.
i can't say that i agree with the death penalty but if you're going to do it then do it and stop p***ing around about it.
The overall costs of an exuction in the US, inluding court costs, maintenance of the devices, training of the guards, etc, is a lot higher than simply putting him in prison for the rest of his life, if I recall right.

#12    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 19 January 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

The overall costs of an exuction in the US, inluding court costs, maintenance of the devices, training of the guards, etc, is a lot higher than simply putting him in prison for the rest of his life, if I recall right.
all the more reason to just take him or her out back and execute the sentence immediately.
as i said i am not necessarily for the death penalty but if it's going to be implemented then it should be done in a timely and inexpensive manner.

#13    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:26 PM

View PostJGirl, on 19 January 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

all the more reason to just take him or her out back and execute the sentence immediately.
as i said i am not necessarily for the death penalty but if it's going to be implemented then it should be done in a timely and inexpensive manner.
But what if he/she's the wrong one? In a society like ours, it's only fair to grant someone confronted with a terminal sentence you take advantage of every possibility they have to attack the sentence if they deem themselves not guitly. You either do that, or you abstain from capitol punishment.

#14    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,993 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

More enlightened states like Illinois have abolished the death penalty.

Posted Image

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#15    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 19 January 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

But what if he/she's the wrong one? In a society like ours, it's only fair to grant someone confronted with a terminal sentence you take advantage of every possibility they have to attack the sentence if they deem themselves not guitly. You either do that, or you abstain from capitol punishment.
some places do abstain from it.
those that do not take the chance of killing the wrong person. it's very tragic indeed. that's the problem with the death penalty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users