Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Inactive sun could herald new mini-Ice Age

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Scientists remain perplexed by the inexplicable and severe lack of activity being exhibited by the sun.

The sun\'s activity has dropped to such an extent that there are fears that it could trigger a miniature Ice Age similar to the one that occurred during the 17th century when the sun entered an extremely quiet phase that became known as the Maunder Minimum.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ew-mini-ice-age

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,973 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

So, what would happen if the world cut its carbon emissions in half tomorrow?

Harte

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,338 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

It's not quite as severe as the thread title suggests. If we are indeed approaching a "Maunder Minimum", then it will have quite severe consequences to the climate of Europe for a while - as that climate is very sensitive to oscillations in the jet stream as the article explains.

I have heard no claims that a solar minimum equivalent to what occurred in the 17th century would have a comparable effect over the rest of the planet, however.

Edited by Leonardo, 19 January 2014 - 01:19 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

If it could cool down Australia a little, greatly appreciated

#5    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,547 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

We really can't win, can we. Everyone's all panicking about global Warming, and then next thing you know we're having a new ice Age. Maybe we ought to get a stock of greenhouse Gases in, just in case.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#6    Harte

Harte

• 8,973 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

What we really need is to set up a worldwide HVAC system. Only, who would get to control the thermostat?

A worldwide committee of wives would be my guess.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,047 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

If we are going to see an extended period of low solar activity, it will be a hugely lucky break for us.  The sun will be like the cavalry coming over the hill to save us from the carbon dioxide etc. that we are warming the planet with.

Of course it may not happen, and we should not count on it happening, and, if it does happen, we have no way of knowing how long the break will last or how effective it will be in helping us from our activity.

#8    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Sometimes I'm amazed at how clueless our scientists are. It's quiet like we've never seen it and they insist it should be most active right now. Based on their theories and models, that is. Maybe time to go back to the drawing board?

#9    Harte

Harte

• 8,973 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Actually, the idea that it should be most active right now is based entirely on observation, and theories attempt to explain these observations.

The Sun goes through fairly regular 11 year cycles.  Observation of the Sun has been ongoing for a good many years.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson

#10    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

if there was a cooling in Europe due to low activity from the sun, how long would it last? how long was the miniature one in the 17th century?

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,786 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Why just Europe... our Earth rotates.

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,840 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

View Postpallidin, on 19 January 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I think they were saying  parts of Europe might get chillier because of fluctuations in the Jet Stream bringing down colder air?   That got my attention.. because we are at roughly the same latitude as London ( a bit further south)  ... and we are always getting periods where we are north of the Polar Jet  and therefore stay COLD .

Just Like this !  <_<   >Attached File  400x266_10260910_movementfactors.jpg   29.48K   9 downloads  

Attached File  Unknown.jpeg   14.08K   7 downloads

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#13    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,463 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

These "Scientists" jump on any band wagon, what are they worried about just because the Sun is having a little rest, it rises in the East and sets in the West, the time to start worrying is when it stops doing this,and 1 side of our planet always faces the sun.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#14    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Science 1970s - global cooling/mini ice-age
               1990s - global warming/rising sea levels
               2000s - global climate change (coverers every contingency)
               2010s - global cooling/mini ice-age

Well, that certainly clears that up and while I may being a bit a bit sarcastic about all this, it really does make one wonder how predictable long term climate forecasting really is. Suddenly the "sleepy" sun, and not man and his activities, becomes the major player in climate. That would certainly seem more logical to me as it's our planet's main energy source. We have instruments on Mars currently, let's see if Martian temperatures are also on the decline.

#15    Harte

Harte

• 8,973 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

View Postpallidin, on 19 January 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

Maybe because it was a BBC report?

Harte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users