Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

In Iowa, a fight for the soul of the GOP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,303 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Washington Post said:

GRINNELL, Iowa — Two years from now, Republicans will formally kick off the process of nominating a presidential candidate with caucus meetings in church basements, community centers and school classrooms. The candidate they nominate will rise or fall, in part, based on the grass-roots prowess of the Republican Party’s organization here and in other swing states.

But as they gather for biennial caucuses Tuesday evening, many Republicans, including Gov. Terry Branstad, worry that their party, run by supporters of former congressman Ron Paul, the libertarian firebrand, isn’t up to the challenge. Branstad is leading a not-so-quiet push to wrest control of the Iowa party, one front in the war for the soul of the GOP. And though the presidential contest is two years away, the health of the state party could affect the GOP’s more-immediate chances at winning control of the U.S. Senate.

The fight mirrors feuds within other Republican Party organizations, from states such as Arizona, Nevada and Maine to the Republican conference in the U.S. House of Representatives, where insurgent outsiders seized control in 2008 and 2010. Now, the establishment — led by long-time operatives and party elders, including Branstad and House Speaker John A. Boehner (Ohio) — is fighting back.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,592 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

dam "ron paul republicans"  people who actually want a limited government, lower taxes and not get paid off by special interest, yep lets get rid of them I would much rather have corrupt fake SOB's like Romney and Christie :innocent:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

The GOP is slowly following the path of the dinosaur....extinction.  More and more people are coming around to thinking that maybe less government interference in your life is a good thing.

The Libertarian Party is statistically the fastest growing party in the USA.  Just how many Independents embrace the pholosophy of big fredom and small gov is yet to be seen.  I am not sure how things will pan out in the mid terms....in my opinion, both the Dems and Repubs need to be sent packing to send a message for the next presidential election.  We do not want another election where we have to chose between a Giant D0uche or a t*rd sandwich....(echoes of South Park!)

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

The GOP has a soul? Last I heard they sold it to some guy at a cross roads.

Miss me?

#5    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,827 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

I use to have some hope for a more libertarian republican party. After I saw what they did to Ron Paul, I realised the establishment will never give up power. Though Rand is playing the game bette then his father did, So I guess I will wait and see. Though I wont hold my breath.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#6    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,337 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 21 January 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

I use to have some hope for a more libertarian republican party. After I saw what they did to Ron Paul, I realised the establishment will never give up power. Though Rand is playing the game bette then his father did, So I guess I will wait and see. Though I wont hold my breath.

As soon as you start playing their game you become part of the establishment.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#7    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,827 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 21 January 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

As soon as you start playing their game you become part of the establishment.

If you see any establishment support, you know he sold out.

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,337 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 22 January 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

If you see any establishment support, you know he sold out.

Part of the game is when the establishment convince the 'people' that a member of the establishment is really not.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#9    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,827 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 22 January 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Part of the game is when the establishment convince the 'people' that a member of the establishment is really not.

Yea but thats easy to see through with just a little digging. I knew 0bama was sold out after 15 mins of looking at his past and current relationships. From that I knew he was lieing about damn near everything he said. Knew the same about every GOP running as well, other then Ron Paul.

Thats why I think its funny watching people argue over who would be better, once the final 2 are picked.

#10    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,260 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

I actually think it is more of a three way battle with the libertarian, tea party and traditional republicans all fighting for control.  And if anything the Ron Paul branch is the smallest.

#11    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,827 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

You say that like its a good thing

#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,592 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

View PostGromdor, on 26 January 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

I actually think it is more of a three way battle with the libertarian, tea party and traditional republicans all fighting for control.  And if anything the Ron Paul branch is the smallest.

I would say libertarian, tea party and "moderate"  republicans.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#13    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,260 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

Looks like the teaparty and establishment republicans teamed up to push out the liberty republicans. http://www.desmoines...rty-Republicans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users