Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mexican Dilemma...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

Found this and just wondered about it.  Is it really that bad there?  What can be done to help?

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,759 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Here is some other threads on the whole Mexican situation just incase you haven't seen them.

http://www.unexplain...topic=261129=

http://www.unexplain...topic=243404=

Edited by spartan max2, 24 January 2014 - 01:20 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,903 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

Yes it really is that bad there.  Government corruption at it's worst.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

Yes its that bad there, they are finding dozens of bodies all the time in caves/graves they think were murdered by these cartels.  The people have had it with them and I don't blame them for fighting back.

#5    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

I think it's really great that these citizens are at least doing something to stop the criminals. Even if they have to stand against the government.
The only way to help this or fix this is weed out the corruption in the government, and then get rid of the criminals going around causing trouble.
All you really need are people who care a lot, and who want to do something. The farmers, engineers, teachers and whoever else formed this civilian defence group obviously care enough to try and put an end to this death and trouble, and protect what they care about.

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#6    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,112 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

why is it a dilemma??  sounds more like the light at the end of a tunnel.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

I have been catching up on my Joe Rogan podcasts and he recently interviewed Buck Angel (the FTM transsexual actor and activist).  Buck moved to the Yucatan to escape what he called persecution in the US and, according to him, the Yucatan is a virtual paradise with none of the horrible violence in other parts of Mexico.

Anyone know if this is accurate? And if so, why?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostRafterman, on 24 January 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

I have been catching up on my Joe Rogan podcasts and he recently interviewed Buck Angel (the FTM transsexual actor and activist).  Buck moved to the Yucatan to escape what he called persecution in the US and, according to him, the Yucatan is a virtual paradise with none of the horrible violence in other parts of Mexico.

The Yucatan is a (relative) haven of peace for four main reasons...(As far as I can see)
1. The vast majority of the people there are Mayan in ancestry (at least in part) and they are a fairly laid back sort in general
2. There is not much in the way of industry or resources there... The ground isn't really suited to growing much, and few businesses have moved into the area - so there is not much 'cover'
for the cartels actions...
3. It is a heavy tourism area and the government (national and local) pull out all the stops to keep the tourists (with money) happy and safe...
4. is not near any national borders, so smuggling drugs in or out is a bit more obvious there (by air or sea - both easily tracked and intercepted)...

#9    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

How long before the US is "forced" to invade an annex this territory, for their own good, of course.
Legalize pot and the cartels will crumble.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,975 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostXynoplas, on 24 January 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

How long before the US is "forced" to invade an annex this territory, for their own good, of course.
The cartels will not crumble - they'll just change tactics of business.  No doubt their income would suffer - but cocaine is still the biggest product.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#11    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

View PostWickian, on 24 January 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

Yes it really is that bad there.  Government corruption at it's worst.

Things are definitly bad in SOME areas. Government corruption is certainly bad but I don´t know if it´s at it´s worst.

The states that have the major problems are the ones that directly linked to the transportation and manufacture of drugs. Even within staets themselves there are some very dangerous areas with lots of murders and other parts of the same state relatively "peaceful"

View PostNighthawk9653, on 24 January 2014 - 02:37 AM, said:

I think it's really great that these citizens are at least doing something to stop the criminals. Even if they have to stand against the government.
The only way to help this or fix this is weed out the corruption in the government, and then get rid of the criminals going around causing trouble.
All you really need are people who care a lot, and who want to do something. The farmers, engineers, teachers and whoever else formed this civilian defence group obviously care enough to try and put an end to this death and trouble, and protect what they care about.

I´m not sure how the American media is covering the story but I don´t think this is a case of a bunch of concerned citizens banding together to "clean-up" their areas. The rural areas are a complete disaster with very little policing. In the state where I live there was an article about all of the mountain towns and villages that have been totally abandoned by the population: The "narcos" (for lack of a better term) come into these towns kill a couple of people shoot up the houses and basically frighten the people to abandon their traditional land and lifestyle and move to the cities. I find this very, very sad and the state and federal governments have done a horrible job of protecting these citizens. I certainly would applaud efforts of them banding together to do something.
In this situation, I have spoken with people more knoweledgeable than me and they seem to think of these "vigilantes" being more of a  more of a para-military group working with the consent of the government. They claim to have over 20,000 members and the average cost to outfit one "vigilante" is between 1,000$ and 2,000$ US dollars. That´s a ot of cake for your average Mexican and people are asking questions where this money is coming from. I read in the paper yeaterday that the price of an  AK-47 has risen to 25,000 pesos in that area. They are highly organized with vehicles and a supply system in place. The Feds have basically taken a hands-off approach which is also interesting. I think another major reason why that is happening in that area is that it is controlled by the Knights Templar and not the Pacific (formerly Sinaloa) cartel. Ever since Calderon sent in the Army in 2006 to battle the cartels, they have overwhelming focused on other cartels such as the Zetas etc. Numerous articles can be found suggesting favouratism towards the Pacific Cartel with statistics to back it up. For years there has been a lot of speculation between the PRI party (currently in office) and the Pacific cartel
I´m sure there are many good people with good intentions involved with this movement. I just wonder what the real situation is at the top and what the end game is.
   That´s my limited take on it anyway. I wasn´t able to watch the video in case I´m missing something.

Edited by jugoso, 24 January 2014 - 07:54 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#12    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,557 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Yes, it's really that bad there.  After 100 years of being at the center of the transit corridors for black market drug operations, who would expect otherwise?

Milton Friedman the Nobel Economist has been predicting such for at least decades.  Just as such activity became endemic in the US during alcohol prohibition, so too does it happen with drug prohibition.

Old news and predictable.

#13    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,516 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Make Mexico the 51st state and get all the jobs back.    That used to be the joke.   Now, more of the jobs are over seas.

#14    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,601 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

For whose own good? Mexico´s?? Your track record of Ilegally invading other countries with money you don´t have and leaving a big mess on departure will be of no benefit to either country. Cartels will not crumble with pot legalization as they will increase supply and production of other drugs and turn towards extortion, kidnappings etc. to offset their losses. As long as there is a high demand in the US, there will be suppliers.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#15    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,580 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

I didn't know you listened to the JRE, Rafter. I usually have it going while I drive out to job sites...I noticed he's gotten a lot more down to Earth lately which is refreshing

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users