Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 4 votes

Battle of L.A. ~another UFO hoax

ufo battle of l.a.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#31    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,824 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 24 January 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

The one question that I never saw a solid answer for was what was it that caused the initial radar return?

I know that there isn't enough evidence for a conclusive answer but it still is an intriguing aspect of this case.

LINK

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#32    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,824 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 24 January 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

Did they have radar? Maybe it "pinged' a flock of seagulls as has happened in the past and off go the fireworks.

I can see "A flock of Seagulls" being mistaken for aliens...........

Edited by psyche101, 24 January 2014 - 06:21 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#33    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,926 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

I'm sort of inclined towards the "mass panic" explanation.

Basically, one group shoots at something (odd looking cloud? One of the Japanese rice-paper bombs they used?)

The balloon bombs didn't start for at least a year after that (from Japanese admissions).

But yeah, mass panic or 'war nerves'. No evidence of anything else.

#34    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Alien Abducter

• 5,170 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

I'm sort of inclined towards the "mass panic" explanation.
Basically, on group shoots at something (odd looking cloud? One of the Japanese rice-paper bombs they used?) and the rest just shot at what they thought the others were shooting at, after all "noone would shoot at nothing, just because we cn't see it doesn't mean we better not shoot".

Did they have radar? Maybe it "pinged' a flock of seagulls as has happened in the past and off go the fireworks.

Hey JC,

The idea of Mass Panic is popular, the idea they once one of the AA crews started shooting everone else just joined in firing wildly. If you research the AA systems themselves, that actually could not have happened. These were not Guns that some "paniced" person could just point and fire. Each gun that was involved in firing the AA rounds required a crew of up to ~8 personnel all working together with various equipment to track one target. Only then with everyone tracking the same Target the information gets fed through a "director" (an early type of computer) that gives the infomation to the crew members as to where to point the gun so it can then be fired so that the shell will reach the point in the atmosphere and explode at about the same time the Target being tracked should reach that point in the atmosphere. This was all done in real time and and everything was in sync hardwired together including the searchlights. So the famous photo show that all the different AA gun crews were in fact tracking the same single Target whatever is was.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#35    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

I have a feeling that this thread is going to SUCK!!

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#36    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,314 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Seagulls on radar + "better to be safe then sorry" then?

#37    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,112 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:47 AM

View Postbendigger0, on 24 January 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

Just kidding... i know it was real...

How funny!

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"I will give you my finest hour, oh yeah!" - Blondie -

#38    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,112 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 24 January 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

You actually do look like your avatar, don't you?
Photo, isnt it.

Correct, debunking should not be limited to UFO stories only in general. Just my 2 Yuan.
Avatar-debunking. Maybe I will open a thread on. :yes: :lol:

Edited by toast, 24 January 2014 - 11:08 AM.

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#39    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,533 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

View Postbendigger0, on 24 January 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

Maybe there's some new people that would like to make new comments?  Though i'm sure the "pages and pages of stuff you wrote" are absolutely riveting.

New people? Thats an odd thing to say,   Arent you one of them too? having joined on the 17th Jan?

Edited by seeder, 24 January 2014 - 11:29 AM.

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#40    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,533 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

View Postbendigger0, on 24 January 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

It kinda looks like a classic "flying saucer".  

How so exactly?  Did you know this too...

A photo published in the Los Angeles Times on February 26, 1942 has been cited by modern day conspiracy theorists and UFOlogists as evidence of an extraterrestrial visitation.

They assert that the photo clearly shows searchlights focused on an alien spaceship; however, the photo was heavily modified by photo retouching prior to publication, a routine practice in graphic arts of the time intended to improve contrast in black and white photos.

Los Angeles Times writer Larry Harnish noted that the retouched photo along with faked newspaper headlines were presented as true historical material in trailers for the film Battle: Los Angeles. Harnish commented, "if the publicity campaign wanted to establish UFO research as nothing but lies and fakery, it couldn't have done a better job

http://en.wikipedia....Angeles#UFOlogy

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#41    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,216 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Posted Image

bendigger0, on 24 January 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

Just kidding... i know it was real...

View Posttoast, on 24 January 2014 - 10:47 AM, said:

How funny!

Not exactly "funny", more along the line of purposefully attempting to wind up others.

I highly suggest this attitude needs to stop. If we can all agree to discuss the Battle of LA and not use the thread to 'pull one another's chains' then it can stay...if not, it will be closed.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#42    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,112 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostLilly, on 24 January 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Posted Image
Not exactly "funny",

That´s what I tried to say with my post

Edited by toast, 24 January 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#43    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

The Battle of LA is just like Roswell - a post hoc creation by UFO buffs.  Nobody even associated this event with alien craft until the 1980s when the Majestic 12 hoax was carried out by a group of UFOlogists.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#44    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

A Japanese sub shelled an oil refinery about that time (with the total damage being to one dock) so that didn't do anyone any good either.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#45    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostKludge808, on 24 January 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

A Japanese sub shelled an oil refinery about that time (with the total damage being to one dock) so that didn't do anyone any good either.

Absolutely.  Pearl Harbor had just been attacked and many on the West Coast thought they were next.  You also had inexperienced gun directors and crews operating new technology that was just in its infancy.  Frankly I'm surprised they weren't blasting away every single night.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

Also tagged with ufo, battle of l.a.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users