Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3 Dead, 20-Plus Hurt I-94 Pileup In Indiana

rashore

More than 40 vehicles, many of them semitrailers, collided amid whiteout conditions in a massive highway pileup that left three people dead and more than 20 others injured — at least one critically — in northwestern Indiana, police said Thursday.

The pileup on Interstate 94 eastbound began Thursday afternoon near Michigan City, about 60 miles from Chicago, according to Indiana State Police, and at least one person was trapped in a vehicle for hours.

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/24/265481112/3-dead-20-plus-hurt-in-i-94-pileup-in-indiana

What a horrible pileup.... due to the weather. I feel for the folks involved in this :(

For folks that don't know where this is... This happened on a seriously major interstate in a bottleneck area at the very bottom of Lake Michigan. Just a few miles east of Chesterton, and a few miles west of Michigan City. More widely on google maps, between Gary and South bend, that one interstate bit skimming the lake.

• Like 1

Many lorries involved, many people doing their job.

As I mentioned earlier, we live in a world which demand for its demands, and people will complain if they do not get their goods or provisions delivered, they seem to either forget how the goods get to the supermarkets or how the post arrives on their doorstep, or they just do care.....if the weather is bad, then the drivers should not be made to deliver and people have to start understanding, the delivery of their bread in bad weather is NOT worth others risking their lives for.

There should be some kind of payment cover so those who deliver for others will still get paid if they can not drive that day because it is a risk to their life and a risk to others.

The warnings have to be stronger, if the weather is too bad, do not drive in it, and this is to ALL drivers.

I had a family member finally report in from the area. The accident started around 4ish? yesterday. They headed through the area late morning today, and the whole area is screwed up- they had to find side roads to get to the county roads around the interstate area. They are safe at home now. They were driving a car and could take roads most semitrucks can't take.

I can't imagine what the commerce routing must be like around there. It's been over 24 hours now of mostly shut down. Apparently a lane has been slowly eeking through.

And the weather hasn't been letting up either. Winds and cold making snowbars and keeping crews busy outside this particular accident area.

• Like 1

Glad to hear your family member is ok.

I also feel for the rescue crews out there who have to risk their lives to save others.

Much can be avoided, not all, but much...companies and people have to start thinking more about this risk to life driving in these conditions.

I by no means mean to sound heartless, the complete opposite infact, but each year as the number of vehicles rise on the roads and the increase in deliveries due to internet selling added to the normal delivery demands, the risks people take will only get worse and the casualties more.

Edited by freetoroam