Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Are some planets more habitable than Earth ?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

Astronomers seeking signs of alien life are on the lookout for 'superhabitable' extrasolar planets.

In the hunt for habitable alien worlds astronomers have been particularly keen to look for signs of planets that exhibit similarities to our own, but now astrobiologists have suggested that what we should be looking for are planets that are even more habitable that the Earth is.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...able-than-earth

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

So how do you get a more habitable world than earth.  The only theories I can come up with are less extremes.  A steadier temperature all year round, planet wide,  Less extreme or no season changes whatsoever, nothing like hurricanes or blizzards or floods or anything.

Sounds a little to perfect for me.  We've only found one planet so far that can support like...ours.  I think it's stretching the board to say there may be super habitable worlds that are far easier to survive on than earth.

#3    squidboy

squidboy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

View Postkrypter3, on 25 January 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

So how do you get a more habitable world than earth.  The only theories I can come up with are less extremes.  A steadier temperature all year round, planet wide,  Less extreme or no season changes whatsoever, nothing like hurricanes or blizzards or floods or anything.

Sounds a little to perfect for me.  We've only found one planet so far that can support like...ours.  I think it's stretching the board to say there may be super habitable worlds that are far easier to survive on than earth.

Why is it a stretch to say that there MAY be super habitable planets? They are not claiming super habitable planets exists, they are only saying they MAY exist. They dont know, you dont know and I dont know.

#4    johnny blue eyes

johnny blue eyes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Would be nieve to think that earth is the most habitable planet out of how many million in the galaxy.
There is a chance it is though. A very slim chance.

#5    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

i think it's silly to focus on a superhabitable planet out there when we are having such a hard time finding a moderately habitable one in the first place.

#6    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Perhaps it is more pristine than this planet, with clean, clear water and beautiful forests, and a multitude of animals that have never met humans before.  Of course, if that is the case I wouldn't want humans to mess it up like they have Earth.

#7    Kal-el Prime

Kal-el Prime

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Several ways. our oceans are salt water for example. perhaps a planet with enitrely freshwater oceans. Or one that has no water locked in polar ice caps. No extreme weather. So many  different ways that another planet could be super habitable,

#8    Joe2112

Joe2112

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

There are billions of earth-like planets in our own galaxy alone. This isn't news.

#9    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Even if we found a planet that was better than earth, we wouldn't be able to survive against the bacteria, looks like we are staying here.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#10    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,111 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

I don't know about finding a world better suited for us than the one we evolved to survive on. Sounds unlikely

#11    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:32 AM

View Postsquidboy, on 25 January 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Why is it a stretch to say that there MAY be super habitable planets? They are not claiming super habitable planets exists, they are only saying they MAY exist. They dont know, you dont know and I dont know.

Because as others say, it's a big stretch.  We have not even found a planet half as habitable as earth is and then define habitable.  Habitable for us or someone else.  Say they find a warm planet all year round, no extreme weather, basically a tropical paradise world wide.  We finally send someone there but there's a single particle in the air that humans can't withstand, or we can't eat the food.  Habitation is all a matter or perspective.

I live in a rather tropical region of Australia and the climate ok, we get massive heat waves, floods, huge storms, spiders looking to eat your face.  But if you ask someone from a third world country or where the climate is absolutely horrible, they'd say Australia is perfect and like heaven.  If you get what I mean.  It may look perfect from one perspective but in reality logically, everywhere has it's extremes.  

#12    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,781 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:06 AM

Unless we actually develop something akin to Star Trek's warp drive, it's all rather academic. Also, we haven't exactly done such a good job with this planet and our stewardship thereof.

#13    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,244 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

No Humans = More Habitable

#14    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,111 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

View Poststevemagegod, on 26 January 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

No Humans = More Habitable
Venus has no humans but I wouldn't call it more habitable

#15    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Like spacecowboy  says  ... this one is the one we are adapted to.    If we could colonize a planet with the right atmosphere and climate ,full of fruit and nut trees  and prolific edible plants  with fresh water springs everywhere (hot and cold)     we'd probably sicken and die because of unfamiliar bacteria or such.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users