Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

China's moon rover experiences abnormality

moon chang`e chang`e 3 yutu rover

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,935 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

China's moon rover experiences abnormality

news.xinhuanet.com said:

BEIJING, Jan. 25 (Xinhua) -- China's moon rover, Yutu (Jade Rabbit), has experienced a mechanical control abnormality, and scientists are organizing repairs.

The abnormality occurred due to "complicated lunar surface environment," the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence (SASTIND) said on Saturday, without giving further details.    

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,662 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Ah well we have to wait and see then! It'd be a pity for a total failure, but still, at least China made it with the landing - and 'some' short exploration. Fingers crossed for Jade Rabbit !

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,935 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

View Postseeder, on 27 January 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

It'd be a pity for a total failure,
How can it be a total failure when it has already returned scientific data? Or am I misinterpreting that and you mean a mission ending malfunction?

but still, at least China made it with the landing - and 'some' short exploration.
It was only designed for a three month mission... and half of that time would have been spent in hibernation through the lunar night, so it with close tom 4 weeks operation on the Moon (It has just entered it's second period of hibernation) it's not far off half of it's planned mission time already... and that is assuming the problem can't be fixed or worked around.

Fingers crossed for Jade Rabbit !
Now that I do agree with.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,529 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

I wonder where the broken part was built? :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users