Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Grand Canyon 'formed recently'

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,572 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Grand Canyon 'formed recently'

The world famous Grand Canyon, which snakes through the American state of Arizona, only took its present form relatively recently.

New research suggests that most of it was put in place just five to six million years ago. Earlier studies had claimed the canyon was perhaps 70 million years old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-25881953

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,572 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

regardless of its age, I would love to one day go and see the canyon, its quite impressive! Wouldn't mind having a camp out somewhere along it

#3    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

I saw the Grand Canyon with my family at the age of four and still remember the absolutely magnificent colors of the rock, the depth, the grandeur of the place.  It was an experience that will remain with me forever.  Five to six million years is pretty old, though not as old as the so-called experts once thought.

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,475 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

5 to 6 million years ago may be recent in Geological terms, but when i saw the headline I thought someone had found out that it had been constructed in like the 1950s or something as a tourist attraction.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Rhino666

Rhino666

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

No no no.. If you're asking how old it is , I want to know the exact age so I can celebrate its birthday. What day month and year please.

#6    paperdyer

paperdyer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

View Postseeder, on 27 January 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

regardless of its age, I would love to one day go and see the canyon, its quite impressive! Wouldn't mind having a camp out somewhere along it
I saw a bit of it when I drove over the Hoover Dam.  Very impressive.

#7    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

For a second I thought they were going to tell me that these guys were right!

http://www.probe.org...f_the_Earth.htm

#8    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,475 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

View PostCalibeliever, on 27 January 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

For a second I thought they were going to tell me that these guys were right!

http://www.probe.org...f_the_Earth.htm
i wish they had a 'nervous twitch' emoticon.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#9    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

i saw the grand canyon as a kid (about five or six). i thought wow that's big. that was about the depth of my impression at the time. i wish i could go see it now that i can appreciate it properly!

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,797 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostRhino666, on 27 January 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

No no no.. If you're asking how old it is , I want to know the exact age so I can celebrate its birthday. What day month and year please.
They do not even know more resent events precisely, look at Jesus! So how about compromise, lets go for 01/04/68,000,000 BC?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    Metal Head

Metal Head

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:01 AM

Oh no, and here I thought the Creationists were gonna be leaping for joy at their 6,000 year old theory.

#12    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,332 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

View Postseeder, on 27 January 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Went to the Canyon on a trip to the USA over 15 years ago (was it really that long ago!), and it is magnificent place.

If you do go, try to get on a tour that will take you on a walk down the canyon and back out again. Physically it's a strain, but the sights you'll see make it worthwhile - not least the colours on the canyon walls as the sun rises (you have to start out before sunrise because there is no shade on the way down.)

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#13    LimeGelatin

LimeGelatin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 87 posts

• We were meant to live for so much more...

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

I am no degreed scientist, but I've always assumed it was formed by at least one ice age, and that it possibly took several different ice ages to erode it to the point at which it is today... -That's just common sense speaking through me though...

Edited by LimeGelatin, 28 January 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#14    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostLimeGelatin, on 28 January 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

I am no degreed scientist, but I've always assumed it was formed by at least one ice age, and that it possibly took several different ice ages to erode it to the point at which it is today... -That's just common sense speaking through me though...
This is just from memory but didn't I hear a theory years ago that at least part of the Grand Canyon might have been formed very rapidly when a glacial dam broke and sent a ton of water down through it in a short amount of time?

#15    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,835 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostRhino666, on 27 January 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

DOB 14DEC70125855 BC 14:34PM (UTC)

Attached Files

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"Good drivers do have smashed insects on the side windows" - Walter Röhrl -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users