Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Purple tomatoes soon to be sold in shops

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Genetically modified tomatoes with added nutritional value could soon find their way in to supermarkets.

Despite a general lack of consumer interest in any food that has been genetically modified, the new purple-hued tomatoes are being touted as an improvement over traditional red tomatoes due to the addition of anthocyanin, an antioxidant with cancer-fighting properties.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...e-sold-in-shops

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,052 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

This is interesting. Too bad they don't say which tomatoes they use. Not all purple tomatoes are GMO, some of them are bred.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,115 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

So is purple ketchup next? :D

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,052 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 27 January 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I somehow doubt it, lol. People are getting used to drinking oddly colored juices, but I'm pretty sure they still like their ketchup red. Heinz tried the other colors of ketchup a few years back and it ended up being a failure. Of course, they dyed the ketchup instead of using colored tomatoes.

#5    13Homerun13

13Homerun13

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 171 posts

• "If we were blind and had no choice, would we hate each other by the tone of our voice?" - Anthrax, Schism

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Buono! Tomato buono tomato, buono, buono, ooh! Tomato! Aka agete midori sagete!? Tomato-mato-mato, hn.
(Delicious Tomato Song) I love tomatoes. Espcially with salt. I hope colour doesn't affect taste. ^-^

#6    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

I'm leery.

#7    Lopex

Lopex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

• Fear is the greatest barrier to human growth.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

No thank you.

#8    kapow53

kapow53

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

• Kapow

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

Yeah man!

#9    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

I have no problem with GMO flowers like Suntory's blue rose, but the food supply is another matter. I realize that we have been modifying plants for centuries by hybridization and that we have to feed an ever larger human population, but we are experimenting on a whole generation of consumers, saying that it is harmless. We already have many food borne allergies and digestive issues, genetic manipulation may compound this and who knows is there are potential cancer risks associate since that may not show up for decades?

#10    Ralaman

Ralaman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

And in twenty years we will be seeing a new generations of doctors yelling and b****ing about how these purple tomatoes caused cancer to rise 75% in three years...

#11    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

View PostChild of Bast, on 27 January 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

Believe it or not, purple ketchup has already happened.
Posted Image

I remember it was around when I was a kid it was around. It was a flop and didn't last long.

I don't have any academic background or qualification or life.
However, I can absorb all substances into the body from my eyes.

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,779 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:19 AM

View Postrashore, on 27 January 2014 - 03:46 PM, said:

This is interesting. Too bad they don't say which tomatoes they use. Not all purple tomatoes are GMO, some of them are bred.
I thought changing them through creative breeding was genetically modifying them too...

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#13    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,052 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

snip

Edited by rashore, 28 January 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#14    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 28 January 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

I thought changing them through creative breeding was genetically modifying them too...
It is, and while I'm unclear on the processes that are really being used in the new GMO, it's clear that it would be difficult to create some of these changes using simple splicing techniques.

I think what bothers me the most is the secrecy that surrounds what they're actually doing to corn, wheat and other large crops. Trade secrecy is important to some extent to protect yourself from competition but it also scares the living bejeezuz out of an already paranoid population. Back in the day if I ate at McDonalds I knew I was rolling the dice a bit when I chose to eat that stuff. But when I buy a head of lettuce and a tomato at the market do I really have to start asking what's in it?

#15    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 28 January 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

That is true, however now we have the ability in insert genetic material from bacteria, fish or other animals, unrelated plant species, and so forth which goes far beyond selective breeding. At one time I believe they inserted genes from the Arctic Icefish into Tomato plants to make them more cold tolerant. I do not know if they were ever put out for human consumption.  

Look up the Suntory Blue Rose (although as of yet it's not a true blue). Breeders have been trying to get the color blue into roses for some time, but the pigments needed to express blue in a flower do not occur in any known rose species, so selective breeding was useless. So they inserted the genetics to express blue from an unrelated plant, (I think they used the RNAi as a transport mechanism but am not sure). It did not quite turn out a true blue, more of a mauve, but by having these genes in the genus Rosa now it provides a starting point to selectively breed a true blue colored rose. There are still other problems to overcome in this case because the internal pH of a rose plant is at a range that does not allow the blue coloration to be expressed very well.

Personally I think this GMO is interesting and perhaps has its place in ornamental plants and in some animals, but the food supply does not seem like a good idea. I may be totally wrong about the health concerns but I avoid consuming it as much as possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users