Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

[Merged] How do YOU cheer yourself up when sad

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,107 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

So my question is what do you personally do when your really sad to cheer yourself up?

Im kind of down in the dumps today =(

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Figure out why I'm sad, and fix it. If I can't come up with a valid reason, I start working on a project or just generally keep busy. An hour or two later, I completely forget what made me sad and I'm good to go...

Having a "purpose" does wonders for your mental health :tu:  boosts confidence, occupies your thoughts, etc

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

- Alejandro Jodorowski

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,939 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

Does depend on why you are sad.
If its a boy/girl friend, switch off your phone and do not go onto facebook to discuss it, put on a good dvd, pref a comedy and NOT  your favorite love story.
Do not turn to the bottle either.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,593 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

watch funny stuff

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,426 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Lean on friends. Or otherwise keep busy like Dark_Grey.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#6    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,307 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Smoke legal marajuana.  Just kidding, I listen to really loud music. :yes: :clap: :tu:

#7    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,844 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostOverSword, on 27 January 2014 - 10:18 PM, said:

Smoke legal marajuana.  Just kidding, I listen to really loud music. :yes: :clap: :tu:

I forgot about...listening to loud music.

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."

- Alejandro Jodorowski

#8    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Tunes all the way. It is ambrosia for the soul. I don't know how I would have made it through without Joy Division.

Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad. But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue. - David Hume

#9    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'm sad a LOT. I stick a few of my favourite songs on and have a sing along (The neighbours sometimes object) Or I watch something that makes me laugh. I have a weird sense of humour so say people that know me so inevitably I end up watching alone. Or I make a fuss of my kitties.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 27 January 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#10    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,107 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 27 January 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Figure out why I'm sad, and fix it. If I can't come up with a valid reason, I start working on a project or just generally keep busy. An hour or two later, I completely forget what made me sad and I'm good to go...

Having a "purpose" does wonders for your mental health :tu:  boosts confidence, occupies your thoughts, etc

Thanks, your advice seems the most legit , no offense to everyone else lol. I just give the award to Grey.

But seriously thanks everyone

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#11    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

So long as you know the difference between being a bit down and being clinically depressed.

#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,107 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 27 January 2014 - 10:49 PM, said:

I'm sad a LOT. I stick a few of my favourite songs on and have a sing along (The neighbours sometimes object) Or I watch something that makes me laugh. I have a weird sense of humour so say people that know me so inevitably I end up watching alone. Or I make a fuss of my kitties.

Im curious what would be an example of you weird sense of humor lol? like if you can think of a video or clip off the top of your head

Criss Jami

#13    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

I have severe depression and am trying to resist medication to control it, but what I've found works best for me is:

1. A healthy diet, with lots of naturally present vitamins and minerals (like in fruits, veg, and organic/unprocessed foods).
2. Ample amounts of quality exercise, especially cardio and muscle toning activities which release endorphins.
3. Having pets, which are far less judgmental and more empathetic than human friends.

Those are my top three, but watching some TV or music listening to which I associate with a calm state of mind also helps, but that'll vary from person to person. For me it's watching a comedy panel like QI, or paranormal shows like Animal X or Paranormal Witness. I like to listen to power or speed metal, or movie soundtracks. That's just me. It takes my mind off of things and makes me laugh, and think,

A thought provoking activity also helps. Learning a new skill, or developing an old one. Something hands on works best, because you have to focus. Reading or even watching something can make it easy for your mind to wander back to why it's upset, so having something which engages your body will help take your mind away. I like to make things, so if I feel really uneasy I will try to find something that puts my hands to work.

Edited by Stormcrow, 27 January 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#14    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 27 January 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

Im curious what would be an example of you weird sense of humor lol? like if you can think of a video or clip off the top of your head
Well, It can't be that weird or the things I watch wouldn't be made! Just weird for the people I know I suppose. I can't think of anything now!
I do love salad fingers though!

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 27 January 2014 - 10:59 PM.

#15    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

View PostStormcrow, on 27 January 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

I have severe depression and am trying to resist medication to control it, but what I've found works best for me is:

1. A healthy diet, with lots of naturally present vitamins and minerals (like in fruits, veg, and organic/unprocessed foods).
2. Ample amounts of quality exercise, especially cardio and muscle toning activities which release endorphins.
3. Having pets, which are far less judgmental and more empathetic than human friends.

Those are my top three, but watching some TV or music listening to which I associate with a calm state of mind also helps, but that'll vary from person to person. For me it's watching a comedy panel like QI, or paranormal shows like Animal X or Paranormal Witness. I like to listen to power or speed metal, or movie soundtracks. That's just me. It takes my mind off of things and makes me laugh, and think,

A thought provoking activity also helps. Learning a new skill, or developing an old one. Something hands on works best, because you have to focus. Reading or even watching something can make it easy for your mind to wander back to why it's upset, so having something which engages your body will help take your mind away. I like to make things, so if I feel really uneasy I will try to find something that puts my hands to work.
I wish I had the energy to do anything when I'm "on one".
I can't even read when I get that bad. Good on you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users