Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is this a Carolina Parakeet?

cryptozoology carolina parakeet lazarus species

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    CP hunter

CP hunter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:15 AM

http://www.birdforum...64&d=1390944174

Birdforum.netAttached File  image.jpg   121.05K   112 downloads

#2    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

It sure looks like one to me. Where was the photo taken, what's the story behind the picture? There are mounted specimens out there...could this be one that someone put up in a tree and photographed?

#3    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

Sure looks like it, but coming from me that means absolutely nothing. I am not familiar with the bird and had to look it up.

I found this interesting tidbit on wiki:

Carolina Parakeets were probably poisonous—American naturalist and painter John J. Audubon noted that cats apparently died from eating them, and they are known to have eaten the toxic seeds ofcockleburs.[4]
Birkhead, Tim (2012). Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird. New York: Walker & Company. p. 123. ISBN978-0-8027-7966-3.

#4    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

I was just reading up on this bird, it does look like one from the pictures of mounted specimens available on the web. Thing is is it real or a faked bird mounted in a tree? If it's real then it would be a great find.

#5    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

I'm no expert, but it looks better than a mounted specimen, which has an undoubtedly "dead" look to it. While the photo is at a distance and kind of grainy, it does look like the beak and eye have a more lively appearance in color and shine. What's the story behind it?

#6    CP hunter

CP hunter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:50 AM

The whole story is located on the forum post.

http://www.birdforum...rolina parakeet

Apparently some little kid saw a bird and shot it with a his camera.  The mom, who posted it is looking for help identifying the bird.  She's not claiming it's a Carolina Parakeet.  She's just looking for help.

#7    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

• http://shadowquesters.proboards.com

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

It would appear to be

"Science fails to recognize the single most potent element of human existence, Spirit moves through all things." SOAD

Posted Image

#8    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

It would sure be an amazing find if it was.

It's very close to the Okefenokee swamp which is where some of the last living specimens where reported.

#9    CP hunter

CP hunter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

I took this into Photoshop and I'm convinced that this is a real photo.  Could be a real photo of a dead bird. Who has a stuffed extinct bird lying around, though.  If it's a hoax, it has to be perpetrated by a museum...

Could be a look-alike hybrid as someone on the bird forum suggests, but this is somewhat unlikely.  Though perhaps more likely than a bird thought extinct actually isn't.

I think it's compelling enough...

Who would be the authority on something like this?

#10    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

View PostCP hunter, on 29 January 2014 - 02:36 AM, said:

I took this into Photoshop and I'm convinced that this is a real photo.  Could be a real photo of a dead bird. Who has a stuffed extinct bird lying around, though.  If it's a hoax, it has to be perpetrated by a museum...

Could be a look-alike hybrid as someone on the bird forum suggests, but this is somewhat unlikely.  Though perhaps more likely than a bird thought extinct actually isn't.

I think it's compelling enough...

Who would be the authority on something like this?

With a quick Google search I found these guys on this site.

http://eol.org/pages...nities/curators

http://eol.org/users/62306

http://eol.org/users/39552

Here's another site that might help.

http://artsci.nmsu.e...rs-seek-to.html

Edited by evancj, 29 January 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

View PostCP hunter, on 29 January 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

I'm not a photo expert, but something looks off to me with regard to how the bird is lit vs the rest of the photo.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#12    CP hunter

CP hunter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

My first reaction was the same, but then I looked at the patterns on the apples and the general angle and line highlight in the bird's eye seem to jive.  I chalk my reaction to the weirdness of seeing this bird.  We wouldn't think twice if this were a robin...

I'm not saying it's definitively real, but if it's not a real photo, it's an impressive photoshop job, IMO.

Edited by CP hunter, 29 January 2014 - 03:45 AM.

#13    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

I do seem to recall the parrots and parakeets love fruit when it's available. Wonder when the photo was taken, it would have to be when the apples were near ripe for picking.

#14    CaitSith

CaitSith

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

• http://shadowquesters.proboards.com

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

What stands out to me is the OP in the other forum didn't even mention Carolina Parakeets, they were inquiring whether it might be an escaped exotic. That certainly doesn't rule out a hoax beyond scrutiny, however it seems to be a strange place to pull one, if it is a hoax I don't get there angle.

"Science fails to recognize the single most potent element of human existence, Spirit moves through all things." SOAD

Posted Image

#15    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Again, no bird expert here, but I thought of an exotic rather than an extinct bird too. I did a quick search of wild U.S. exotics and feral parrots and parakeets. No matches that I could tell.
But then there is also the pet trade to consider and escapees or released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users