Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Near East role in human migration in question

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    jmccr8

jmccr8

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hi,
I came across this article about the migration route through Near East,it would seem that carbon dating tests show that H.s.s may have gone to Central Asia first and then into Europe rather than passing through the Levant.

http://phys.org/news...man.html#inlRlv

jmccr8

#2    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Well, they had to pass through the Levant on the way Asia.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,142 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Now, if we have a look at the map:

Posted Image

Where Egypt is, is Africa, where Turkey is, is the Levant... now, how did they get to the Levant from Africa without going through the ME (there where Israel is) ?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,191 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

If I remember this correctly, there was an OOA migration theory that proposed a crossing of the Red Sea (or a proposed land bridge) at the southern end into modern-day Yemen. Then across the Arabian Peninsula (coastally), around the Persian Gulf and into central Asia. This was followed later by a westwards back-migration into the Levant/Near East and further into Europe/back into North Africa.

Edited by Leonardo, 29 January 2014 - 08:20 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levant
I hate the use of this old-fashioned term, but there it is.
The word is borrowed from the French for "rising" referring to the Eastern end of the Mediterranean.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

#6    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

At a certain point, the Mediterranean was nearly dry. Homo erectus could have walked from North Africa (the "Maghreb") to Europe and back again and probably did.

#7    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,191 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostXynoplas, on 29 January 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

At a certain point, the Mediterranean was nearly dry.

Not in the last 5.5 - 6 million years. Well before H. erectus was on the scene.

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 29 January 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

Not in the last 5.5 - 6 million years. Well before H. erectus was on the scene.

which naturally leads to more speculation, the Island in Greece I have a farm on is about 80 miles from the next terra firme... yet there was a paleolithic settlement here...

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,191 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 29 January 2014 - 08:28 PM, said:

which naturally leads to more speculation, the Island in Greece I have a farm on is about 80 miles from the next terra firme... yet there was a paleolithic settlement here...

True, but the speculation pertinent to the site you mention is what hominin species was involved and also about the debate regarding when hominins (and which) began dispersing via water-borne means.

It's not really relevant to the OP issue.

Edited by Leonardo, 29 January 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 29 January 2014 - 08:32 PM, said:

True, but the speculation pertinent to the site you mention is what hominin species was involved and also about the debate regarding when hominins (and which) began dispersing via water-borne means.

It's not really relevant to the OP issue.

That is another speculation as just an encampment and some discarded stone tools were found, no skeletons or any other indication.

about me

#11    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,191 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 29 January 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

That is another speculation as just an encampment and some discarded stone tools were found, no skeletons or any other indication.

I'm curious as to why you thought my first point was speculative?

Are you suggesting a non-hominin species crafted those tools and set up the encampment?

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 29 January 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

I'm curious as to why you thought my first point was speculative?

Are you suggesting a non-hominin species crafted those tools and set up the encampment?

No, my question is the migration route used, if it was land there is not much choice but the known routes... but why are early humans appearing on a island without an obvious connection to land? Or could the explanation be that they circumvented the NE by using rafts?

about me

#13    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,191 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 29 January 2014 - 09:03 PM, said:

No, my question is the migration route used, if it was land there is not much choice but the known routes... but why are early humans appearing on a island without an obvious connection to land? Or could the explanation be that they circumvented the NE by using rafts?

That would be why I posted about an alternate OOA theory in post #4 - concerning crossing the Red Sea at the southern end (although, as I mentioned, that theory also incorporated the possibility of a land bridge.)

I just didn't see (and still don't, tbh) any connection to a site in the Mediterranean.

Edited by Leonardo, 29 January 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#14    Atlantisresearch

Atlantisresearch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Concepts of human "modernity" are completely arbitrary. So the idea "anatomical modern humans" originated in Africa is not supported by science. I don't know why articles like this continue to be written.

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

View PostOliverDSmith, on 29 January 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

Concepts of human "modernity" are completely arbitrary. So the idea "anatomical modern humans" originated in Africa is not supported by science. I don't know why articles like this continue to be written.

Could you explain that or is that just a preconception of some preacher?

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users