Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Whales 1, Poachers 0


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,444 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

The Sea Shepherd Fleet has once again located the factory vessel of the Japanese whaling fleet, the Nisshin Maru, effectively suspending whale poaching operations in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. The ship was located at 2050 AEDT on the 24th of January at 70°27’ S 150°03’ W by the Sea Shepherd ship The Bob Barker, says the environmental organization.

Once again, Sea Shepherd has all vessels in the Japanese whaling fleet accounted for...

http://www.maritime-...eet-2014-01-24/

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#2    scorpiosonic

scorpiosonic

    Still Skeptical

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2014
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southern Las Vegas

  • All along this path I tread, my heart betrays my weary head. With nothing but my love to save, from the cradle to the grave.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

Good thing, amazing we have whales left. Those Greenpeace guys are crazy, get their little boat between the harpoon ship and the whale to try and stop the hunt!

"The Whale’s Navy is Relentless!” They have to be to stop Japan, that area ban's been in place since 1994.

J whalers will be back, someday.

Posted Image

#3    Razer

Razer

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  • Joined:26 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Edge

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Good for them!


#4    redhen

redhen

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined:14 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Samsara

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Good job Bob Barker, lol. It's amazing what you can find online, here's an interesting piece of news. Even though the Nisshin Maru is the last whaling factory ship on the planet, it "has been awarded a halal certificate to prove the whales it takes from the Antarctic Ocean are slaughtered in accordance with Muslim law"

Obviously to keep up with growing demand for traditional Middle Eastern whale meat.

Wth?


#5    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,444 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

View Postredhen, on 29 January 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

Good job Bob Barker, lol. It's amazing what you can find online, here's an interesting piece of news. Even though the Nisshin Maru is the last whaling factory ship on the planet, it "has been awarded a halal certificate to prove the whales it takes from the Antarctic Ocean are slaughtered in accordance with Muslim law"

Obviously to keep up with growing demand for traditional Middle Eastern whale meat.

Wth?
Rubbing noses together for legitimacy wherever they can in a world that frowns upon whaling more and more.

So the Muslims in Japan can eat it now...that's not going to be the critical mass they need in a dying market.   What percentage of Japan is Muslim?   It's 0-1% I would presume, so they're going to have to do much better than that to keep the demand up for their ancient tradition they're too proud and nationalistic to stop losing money over.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,305 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hang on ... that means they vivisect them then doesn't it?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    redhen

redhen

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined:14 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Samsara

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 30 January 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Hang on ... that means they vivisect them then doesn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhabihah

Theoretically, yes. "This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the throat, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact."

Yeah, that should be no problem with a whale. /rollseyes

Also,  "The slaughter itself must be done by a sane (mentally competent) adult Muslim, Jew, or Christian as they are considered "People of the Book" (Arabic: Ahl al-Kitāb‎)"

So if the harpooner shouts "For Odin!" while firing, it can never be considered Halal.


#8    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,444 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

Captain of The Bob Barker, Peter Hammarstedt, said, “The Nisshin Maru has resigned itself as unable to outrun the determination of the Sea Shepherd Fleet. We will shadow them wherever they try to run and if they attempt to kill any more whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, the Sea Shepherd ships are in position to stand fast.”

http://www.seashephe...t-of-steam-1562

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#9    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,444 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

View Postredhen, on 30 January 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhabihah

Theoretically, yes. "This method of slaughtering animals consists of a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the throat, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides but leaving the spinal cord intact."

Yeah, that should be no problem with a whale. /rollseyes

Also,  "The slaughter itself must be done by a sane (mentally competent) adult Muslim, Jew, or Christian as they are considered "People of the Book" (Arabic: Ahl al-Kitāb‎)"

So if the harpooner shouts "For Odin!" while firing, it can never be considered Halal.
So in every detail you've shown, it's actually not Halal.   But in the grand scheme of things, so what, and who cares?   Right now the Japanese fleet is getting their butt handed to them by volunteers from civil society who pick up where governments leave off.

I think we can stop injecting religion and politics into every subject when every subject needs the opposite.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#10    scorpiosonic

scorpiosonic

    Still Skeptical

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2014
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southern Las Vegas

  • All along this path I tread, my heart betrays my weary head. With nothing but my love to save, from the cradle to the grave.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostYamato, on 31 January 2014 - 01:35 AM, said:

Captain of The Bob Barker, Peter Hammarstedt, said, “The Nisshin Maru has resigned itself as unable to outrun the determination of the Sea Shepherd Fleet. We will shadow them wherever they try to run and if they attempt to kill any more whales in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, the Sea Shepherd ships are in position to stand fast.”

http://www.seashephe...t-of-steam-1562

Capt Pete should've  added,....'to eternity!".  <_< ...........How long are they prepared to stand fast? :unsure2:

Posted Image

#11    redhen

redhen

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,825 posts
  • Joined:14 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Samsara

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:50 AM

View PostYamato, on 31 January 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

I think we can stop injecting religion and politics into every subject when every subject needs the opposite.

I think it has more to do with simple greed. I doubt there's very many Muslims in Japan, so I assume this halal whale meat is being frozen and flown to expensive restaurants in the Middle East.


#12    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,444 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

View Postscorpiosonic, on 31 January 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Capt Pete should've  added,....'to eternity!".  <_< ...........How long are they prepared to stand fast? :unsure2:
As long as their fuel holds out, which is often the case in most poaching seasons.

View Postredhen, on 01 February 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

I think it has more to do with simple greed. I doubt there's very many Muslims in Japan, so I assume this halal whale meat is being frozen and flown to expensive restaurants in the Middle East.
Agreed.  They have to focus on what's not-wrong with it.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#13    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,444 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

The Japanese whalers have really upped their game this year  



"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#14    Yamato

Yamato

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,444 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

These state-sanctioned criminals don't understand what words like moratorium and sanctuary mean, so give them steel.   They'll know what that means.

This is how to stop a monster  



"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#15    coolguy

coolguy

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:east islip , new york

  • Star trek rules

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

Agian I like the whales,,also how can these people hunt and kill them.somebody should sink every whale hunting ship in the world

Edited by coolguy, 07 February 2014 - 04:59 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users