Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Djehutyhotep's statue and the wood beam

pyramid ramp pyramid construction statue sled egypt

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    M. Williams

M. Williams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

The 12th dynasty tomb of Djehutyhotep , an Egyptian official, is famous for its depiction of the moving of a large statue on a wood sled .

Along with Hauliers on ropes, three groups of workers are shown ; three holding bottles of what is presumed to be lubricant, three holding staffs or levers  and a wood beam with notches on top and one protruding end. Exactly how this wood beam was used has been a mystery, but perhaps it was used in this way;

( see drawing link)   https://www.academia...and_lever_point

I propose that the beam was a rail / lever-point , part of a three-part system (1.levers 2. rail /leverpoint 3.lubricant) for propelling the sled when needed.  The number three is symbolic of plurality and the state of being a complete system. The workers are depicted in three groups of three, symbolizing that they worked together as a unit and that there were many of each.

Since its discovery many drawings have been done, with each one differing from another , though the notched beam is always depicted as having a sawtooth-like texture. I show the small end of the beam as a mortise/tendon used to attach the rails together , a typical woodworking technique of the time. These depictions were made within two-hundred years of the construction of the Great Pyramid and are fantastic evidence as to how stone was moved in Egypt during the Old Kingdom.

Mason Williams

Tomb info. @ > http://www.osirisnet...utyhotep_02.htm
Posted Image

Edited by M. Williams, 29 January 2014 - 06:40 AM.

#2    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Thank you M. Williams for this very interesting post.. We all learn something new every day.
I shall give you a applause for your proposal, because it sounds more real than the help of aliens come to aid this construction theory
The mind boggling think=g is, since the demise of the people of ancient times, nobody had attempted to do anything of this scale and magnitude for many many centuries.

Posted Image

#3    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,700 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

"three holding staffs or levers " -  I see at the bottom left three guys holding small staffs. it is not sure if the guy in the broken off portion also holds a staff, but from the symmetry, we can assume that he does.

But I cant  see where the " wood beam with notches on top and one protruding end" is.

Having moved heavy electrical equipment in huge substations and power plants, I have used simple pipes as rollers on which the equipment sat and we used solid rods as levers , right under the equipment to push it forward.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#4    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,054 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hmm...from left to right on the bottom row, I see two guys holding sticks or staves that look too small to do anything other than prod lazy workers.  I see the three guys carrying the wood beam with the protruding end (although calling the top of the beam "notched" is a bit generous, I think.  The top is pretty uneven all around).  After them I see three guys carrying either lubricant or water in jars on shoulder yokes.

Does anyone have a translation for whatever is written above the beam and the jar carriers?

#5    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,957 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

the dead lift threshold, fine learned gentlemen ... the dead lift threshold is the principle difficulty ... if it can't be overcome by the tools available by means of a fulcrum no matter how many extra personnel or muscle power one applies .. the mass wont be budged or moved ...

~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#6    M. Williams

M. Williams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 29 January 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

"three holding staffs or levers " -  I see at the bottom left three guys holding small staffs. it is not sure if the guy in the broken off portion also holds a staff, but from the symmetry, we can assume that he does.

But I cant  see where the " wood beam with notches on top and one protruding end" is.

Having moved heavy electrical equipment in huge substations and power plants, I have used simple pipes as rollers on which the equipment sat and we used solid rods as levers , right under the equipment to push it forward.
The beam  is right below the statue, it's being carried on their shoulders.
Mason

Edited by M. Williams, 29 January 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#7    M. Williams

M. Williams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

The earliest versions of the drawing show that the top of the beam is notched and Egyptologists always refer to it as 'the notched beam'. Here's another early drawing showing the notched beam. The levers are not used to 'dead-lift', only to propel the sled when it gets stuck. Check out this link for drawing info.>   http://www.osirisnet...utyhotep_02.htm

Posted Image

Edited by M. Williams, 29 January 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#8    M. Williams

M. Williams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 29 January 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

Hmm...from left to right on the bottom row, I see two guys holding sticks or staves that look too small to do anything other than prod lazy workers.  I see the three guys carrying the wood beam with the protruding end (although calling the top of the beam "notched" is a bit generous, I think.  The top is pretty uneven all around).  After them I see three guys carrying either lubricant or water in jars on shoulder yokes.

Does anyone have a translation for whatever is written above the beam and the jar carriers?
When scaled off of the beam carriers ,the lever/staffs are 48-54 inches long.  This length of lever could lift 600-800 pounds and slide a much greater weight horizontally .

Mason

This link has good info. >  http://www.osirisnet...utyhotep_02.htm

Edited by M. Williams, 29 January 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#9    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,054 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Egyptian artwork isn't known for its accuracy to scale.

Incidentally, I can't seem to load the links you are putting up regarding the rail/lever point system.  Is anyone else having trouble?

#10    M. Williams

M. Williams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Yes ,I know. But it gives us a reference .

Mason

#11    scorpiosonic

scorpiosonic

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

• The only things that remain the same are the rules that govern change.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Also, the 58 ton statue was dragged by 172 men....so about .33 US ton per man.
Here's a more complete translation of hieroglyphs on Djehutyhotep's wall painting from Osiris.net.

"Following a statue of 13 cubits of stone of Hatnub. Behold, the way upon which it came, was very difficult, beyond anything.
Behold, the dragging of the great things upon it was difficult for the heart of the people, because of the difficult stone of the ground, being hard stone.
I caused the youth, the young men of the recruits to come, in order to make for it (the statue) a road, together with shifts of necropolis-miners and of quarrymen, the foremen and the wise. The people of strength said: "We come to bring it;" while my heart was glad; the city was gathered together rejoicing; very good it was to see beyond everything. The old man among them, he leaned upon the child; the strong-armed together with the tremblers, their courage rose. Their arms grew strong; one of them put forth the strength of 1000 men.
Behold, this statue, being a squared block on coming forth from the great mountain, was more valuable than anything. Vessels were equipped, filled with supplies, [in advance (?)] of my army of recruits, the youth bore [... in advance of (?)] it. Their words were laudation, and my praises from the king. My children ... adorned were behind me. My nome shouted praise. I arrived in the district of this city, the people were gathered together, praising; very good it was to see, beyond everything. The counts who were of old; the judge and local governor who were appointed for ... in this city, and established for the [...] upon the river, their hearts had not thought of this which I had done, [in that I made (?)] for myself ... established for eternity, after this my tomb was complete in its everlasting work."

Posted Image

#12    dharmamonk

dharmamonk

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

• An Aquarian Exposition

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:21 AM

View PostThesillyfunnyguyIDK, on 29 January 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

Thank you M. Williams for this very interesting post.. We all learn something new every day.
I shall give you a applause for your proposal, because it sounds more real than the help of aliens come to aid this construction theory
The mind boggling think=g is, since the demise of the people of ancient times, nobody had attempted to do anything of this scale and magnitude for many many centuries.
So modern day sky scrapes...?

#13    Lotus_Blossom

Lotus_Blossom

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

• "We live by the sun. We feel by the moon."

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:30 AM

Ive seen a documentary about this, the egyptian at the foot of the statue is pouring water onto the ground "more likely sand" to make it clump up so they could pull the statue more easily. It had to be precise, because if they poured to little of amounts of water, the sand wouldnt clump and the statue wouldn't be able to move as well, same goes for pouring too much water on the sand.

Edited by plaguedmedusa, 13 June 2014 - 04:31 AM.

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,680 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

View PostM. Williams, on 29 January 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

The earliest versions of the drawing show that the top of the beam is notched and Egyptologists always refer to it as 'the notched beam'. Here's another early drawing showing the notched beam. The levers are not used to 'dead-lift', only to propel the sled when it gets stuck. Check out this link for drawing info.>   http://www.osirisnet...utyhotep_02.htm

Posted Image

I think it probably is just what it looks like. They put the notched rail down under the statue, and then used the levers in the notches to help move it forward. It provided a solid surface to use the levers on, and had enough friction with the ground to not just slide around.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    scorpiosonic

scorpiosonic

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

• The only things that remain the same are the rules that govern change.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

I hear what you're saying DC, but I think it would be best to have the short woods anchored firmly to the ground.

See pg. 2, view 26, @ > http://www.osirisnet...utyhotep_02.htm for pic.of wall painting as some drawings of this scene do differ in some details. The left end of the short wood is cut in a 'stair-step' pattern, (not a 'saw-tooth' pattern)...also near the right end there's an interesting square-cut 'U-shaped' notch and just left of this is a 'hook' w/ notch....poss used to attach to protruding pegs on the side of sled; not sure. (Mid section of short wood is difficult to see due to 'water' damage to painting, seems to be notched also.)

Were they carrying just one board? How thick was this board?

They built a road, but the wall painting doesn't show any road, path, or evidence of sleepers either. Possibly they used some paving stones to make a sort of track for the sled???

The site mentions that the tomb painting depicts the last part of the statue's journey, (it seems they are getting ready to begin pulling.) which began in the Hatnub quarry, dragged approx. 17 km to the Nile, barged to El-Bersha, and then probably placed near the tomb. (Exact destination is unknown due to damage of some of the tomb's wall paintings.)

Edited by scorpiosonic, 14 June 2014 - 09:52 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with pyramid ramp, pyramid construction, statue, sled, egypt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users