Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

First Weather Map of Brown Dwarf

brown dwarfs wise j104915.57-531906.1b luhman 16b vlt eso

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

First Weather Map of Brown Dwarf
ESO’s VLT charts surface of nearest brown dwarf

www.eso.org said:

ESO's Very Large Telescope has been used to create the first ever map of the weather on the surface of the nearest brown dwarf to Earth. An international team has made a chart of the dark and light features on WISE J104915.57-531906.1B, which is informally known as Luhman 16B and is one of two recently discovered brown dwarfs forming a pair only six light-years from the Sun. The new results are being published in the 30 January 2014 issue of the journal Nature.

Brown dwarfs fill the gap between giant gas planets, such as Jupiter and Saturn, and faint cool stars. They do not contain enough mass to initiate nuclear fusion in their cores and can only glow feebly at infrared wavelengths of light. The first confirmed brown dwarf was only found twenty years ago and only a few hundred of these elusive objects are known.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

Artist's impression of Luhman 16B recreated from VLT observations

This video sequence is an artist's impression based on the first ever map of the weather on the surface of the nearest brown dwarf to Earth. An international team used ESO's Very Large Telescope to make a chart of the dark and light features on WISE J104915.57-531906.1B, which is informally known as Luhman 16B and is one of two recently discovered brown dwarfs forming a pair only six light-years from the Sun. Luhman 16A appears in the background in this sequence.

Note that the faint fine detail on the surface of Luhman 16B has been added for artistic effect.

Credit: ESO/I. Crossfield/N. Risinger (skysurvey.org)

Source: ESO Observatory

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

Surface map of Luhman 16B recreated from VLT observations

This video shows the first ever map of the weather on the surface of the nearest brown dwarf to Earth. An international team has used ESO's Very Large Telescope to create a chart of the dark and light features on WISE J104915.57-531906.1B, which is informally known as Luhman 16B and is one of two recently discovered brown dwarfs forming a pair only six light-years from the Sun.

This video shows the object as it rotates on its axis.

Credit: ESO/I. Crossfield

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Zooming in on the nearby brown dwarf Luhman 16B

This video starts with a broad view of the entire sky and closes in on the southern constellation of Vela (The Sails). In the final sequence, among huge numbers of faint stars, a very faint double object appears. This is WISE J104915.57-531906.1AB, which is informally known as Luhman 16AB. It is a recently discovered pair of brown dwarfs only six light-years from the Sun.

Credit: ESO/I. Crossfield/N. Risinger (skysurvey.org)/Digitized Sky Survey 2
Music: movetwo

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Flying among the closest stars to the Solar System

This video takes you on a fly-through of the space around the nearest stars to the Sun. Some familiar stars are visible, such as Alpha Centauri, Sirius and Barnard's Star, but there is also a faint object only discovered in early 2013 — this is WISE J104915.57-531906.1AB, which is informally known as Luhman 16AB, a recently discovered pair of brown dwarfs only six light-years from the Sun. It is the third closest system to the Solar System.

Credit: ESO/I. Crossfield/N. Risinger (skysurvey.org)

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

Nice vids, especially the last one. Really gives you some perspective.

#7    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Interesting indeed!

#8    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,872 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Great stuff thanks!

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users